Landing a drop pod on an enemy unit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't dswanick just pointing out that RAW does not prohibit you from placing your deep strike target point over an enemy unit, impassable terrain or any other illegal position.  However, should you roll a hit or fail to scatter far enough to land in a legal position then you must make a roll on the mishap table.

Therefore, while RAW does allow it, you'd be pretty stupid to try!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't dswanick just pointing out that RAW does not prohibit you from placing your deep strike target point over an enemy unit, impassable terrain or any other illegal position.  However, should you roll a hit or fail to scatter far enough to land in a legal position then you must make a roll on the mishap table.

Therefore, while RAW does allow it, you'd be pretty stupid to try!

You are correct, sir.

Speciffically for a Drop-pod - DS does coutn as movement since we are given a speed range that it counts as moving at in the turn that it arrives, so that would mean that it would be movign within an inch of an enemy model... No?

Speciffically for a Drop-pod - DS does coutn as movement since we are given a speed range that it counts as moving at in the turn that it arrives, so that would mean that it would be movign within an inch of an enemy model... No?

But not until after the model has been placed, scatter rolled for, and Mishap evaluated. So I would say no.

Care to back that up with a page?

There is no 'one' page that proves this. It is a logical deduction from a complete lack of specific statements that Deep Strike is Movement, and the following:

-BRB, pg.174 - where normal reserve arrivals are mentioned as being "moved on from a table edge" (this gets overridden by the Deep Strike rules)

-BRB, pg.36 - where Deep striking arrivals are said to be "placed" or "deployed" (placing may or may not be Movement, but Deployment is most definitely not or it would provide units with Movement-based special rules the benefits/drawbacks they would receive from moving)

-BRB, pg.36 - where the rules specifically mention that a Deep Striking unit "count as having moved" (something does not have to "count as" what it is)

For all of these reasons i would ask for an unambiguous statement of rules that Deep Strike is Movement instead of allowing it as an assumption.

dswanick is indeed correct on all points, thus far.

He has an impressive grasp of how the rules actually work.

Sadly, Deep Striking and other things that happen "during the Movement Phase" are not actual "Movement" as such. They're Movement as much as Running during the Shooting Phase is "Shooting", i.e. not at all.

If Deep Striking WERE movement at the given speed, then Necron Monoliths would be able to take full advantage of everything being discussed here and Tank Shock upon Deep Striking, thereby allowing them to retain their ability to land just right wherever the hell they please, as was previously the case.

I've already researched this line of inquiry to death in regards to hoping that Monoliths were more useful than the current Necron Codex seems to make them, but alas, no such luck.

I was just hoping I could squish a squad of infantry upon landing. That isn't an option, so from my perspective, the question is answered.

It's a shame really, given that a drop ship sized blunt force trauma would be pretty much guaranteed death.

So should plummeting VTOL wreckage be more dangerous than crashing down in it. Seriously, how many times have we heard of people surviving helicopter crashes (which is what it would equate to), and how many times has someone survived a vehicle of any type falling on their head?

Yet, it's S10 AP1 for the passengers and S6 AP- for the guys getting crushed by it. Herpaderp.

So should plummeting VTOL wreckage be more dangerous than crashing down in it. Seriously, how many times have we heard of people surviving helicopter crashes (which is what it would equate to), and how many times has someone survived a vehicle of any type falling on their head?

Yet, it's S10 AP1 for the passengers and S6 AP- for the guys getting crushed by it. Herpaderp.

Agreed.

There's no fluff logic to explain that.

That's PURE game balance right there. A risk to users of Flyers that they have to accept, and a "HAHA! TAKE THAT!" moment for your opponent when they finally shoot your flying doom machine down.

@TheCrazyCaptain: You could always house rule it, if your opponent (for some reason) doesn't mind.

Back in the day when our local GW store manager had a Titan and no one else had anything bigger than a Land Raider we actually used to do that. We'd drop Drop Pods on the Warhound's face and those served as our primary Titan-killers.

Ghetto battleship ammunition :P

Later, when Codex:Daemonhunters came out we replaced our Drop Pods with Orbital Strikes.

Good times.

Archived