Looking to start some sisters

Rizara

Hey guys.  I am looking to add about 1k points of sisters to my list, to start as an allies attachment, and for a second army/small army.

I have been sitting on a canoness model and a converted exorcists for over a year now.  I have been putting off getting anything else or even working on these in hopes for those fabled rumored plastic sister models and a new codex that is still ever elusive.  But I really want to field a sisters army, and nows as good a time as any.  I am going to start out with a 1000 points for now.  This should hold me over till they come out with a new codex/models, and when they do, I will have a starting point to expand the army with the new stuff.

Anyways, I am partial to sisters.  They were my first army ever back in 97 when I got into the hobby.  In second edition they weren't the best army, really I only won battles against orcs and nids, but I enjoyed the idea of an all female army, as well as nuns with guns.  Fluff wise I liked the idea that they were the militant arm of the church and were able to bypass the rule of no men able to bear arms in the church layed down by imperial law by being women, not men.   I have done two other sister armies since that time, so this will be my 4th restart of a sisters army.   Back in 2004 I had a Sisters army based around ephrael stern, and then in 2007 I started another army, and was going for my own order.  Needless to day, I sold the army in 2005, and again in 2009.  My last attempt was just difficult to get a force together because of GW putting them on direct order.  They are still a pain to aquire, which is why I am just going to go with a small force, not to mention, they are so darn pricy now, we could use some new plastics and a codex to revitalize and make the army more reasonable to invest in. 

Anyways, I am looking at creating my own Order again.   This time I have a color scheme I like and will be easy to paint.  Sadly i can't find the painters on the site anymore to do a mock up.   My color scheme will be a jade green/emerald looking armor, with light grey/white robes.  My vehicles will be done in a light grey/green mix, with the icon/image being on the white areas.    I am still debating on an order name, but I think i am sort of set on an icon that would look good.   I was thinking of doing a heart wrapped with two rows of thorns creating an X pattern across the heart.   The red heart and black thorns would stand out, and its easy to hand paint on vehicles and the robes if need be.    My problem really comes down to a name.  I am horrible at naming things, and not sure what all is already taken.  

It will be a slow painting process, I hope to paint my canoness up over the coming week.  I got a one week break of no classes, as I am inbetween semesters for my online school, so I plan to paint as much as I can, by at least getting the canoness worked out, and finishing some units for my Angels of Vengeance. 

As for my starting army, well here is what I am planning for my 1k list.

Canoness with power weapon and rosarius *attached to dominions*

Battle sisters x10, flamer and heavy flamer, Rhino

Battle sisters x10, Multimelta and meltagun

Dominions x5, Vet sis with combi-melta, 2 meltaguns, Immolator with TL multimelta

Dominions x6, 2 flamers

Retributor squad, x6, Vet sis with storm bolter, 4 heavy bolters, Immolator with TL Heavy Bolters w/inferno bolts

Exorcist

Its not alot, but its a start.  The idea is mainly to have a small army for small games, to start a sisters army and have a core to build from in the future (like if they release the codex sometime this decade lol), and to use as an ally force from time to time.  

A name to match the color -- Emerald green with white robes. hmmm. How about "Dark Angels?" laugh.png

Just kidding.

I believe Saint Sabbat wore green armor. Maybe the Order of Our Emerald Lady? Granted she lived before the Adepta Sororitas existed but it is easy to see how she could be honored by them.

A name to match the color -- Emerald green with white robes. hmmm. How about "Dark Angels?" laugh.png

Just kidding.

I believe Saint Sabbat wore green armor. Maybe the Order of Our Emerald Lady? Granted she lived before the Adepta Sororitas existed but it is easy to see how she could be honored by them.

All of the Saints who founded Orders (or who had them founded in their honour) were alive before the Adepta Sororitas existed, so having an Order based around her ideals (ass kicking and taking names for a start ;) ) isn't such a push for me ^_^ Either that or you could create a Saint (like I have) yourself and make a small Order around her.

dark angels aren't emerald green lol, they are a dark forest green.  Also they use bone white, not light grey.  

So where is this fluff on the Emerald Lady?  Might have to look into it.  Might just have to read through all the fluff I have lieing around on my shelves on the sisters, between the last codex and articles.  

Canoness model is awesome, heh.

Considering that you're doing this to use her, your army list looks good. Personally, I'd go with two meltaguns rather than a meltagun and a multimelta, but then I always use rhinos and play quite aggressively.

yeah i had debated on that.  If i was to expand on the list, i would definitely look at taking more regular battle sisters, and I might push it to 1500 later after I get the 1k together and painted.  The idea with the multimelta is that squad is going to be sitting back and defending an objective, but it also depends on if I can win the model.  Trying to get some off ebay cheap, but so few models and apparently alot of bidders.  If I don't get a multimelta I might go with a heavy bolter or a second meltagun instead for that on food unit of battle sisters.   

I would rather go with Celestine for a single HQ choice, however like you said, since I already go tthe model, just going with what I have.   My only gripe about the armyies current sad state of rules is that the HQ choices are almost mandatory options like celestine and Jacob Uriah, and I really don't want to include Priests and members of the church in my battle force since that goes against the fluff.  It says no standing men at arms for the church, then why are priests going to war using weapons like plasma guns and such.

Will see about that book.  Reading material is always handy for motivation.   

So no one has any ideas on a name besides the Emerald Lady?

My only gripe about the armyies current sad state of rules is that the HQ choices are almost mandatory options like celestine and Jacob Uriah, and I really don't want to include Priests and members of the church in my battle force since that goes against the fluff.  It says no standing men at arms for the church, then why are priests going to war using weapons like plasma guns and such.

There is another way, something I haven't had much luck in accomplishing yet.  Instead of using the actual models for Uriah etc, why not use "counts as" models?  As in convert/kitbash female models that have the same weapons as them, but give them their own background.  They could then use the rules, but stay in keeping with the spirit of the Decree Passive ;)

The fluff has always been that there's no rule against individual priests practicing martial arts, which is why they tend to be better at CC than Sisters, who have a regimented training regime. Priest weapons are privately owned, not granted by the Ecclesiarchy.

It's the Crusaders of the Battle Conclave that annoy me - they're obviously trained and disciplined male fighters wearing Ecclesiarchy livery, which would make them men-at-arms. Sigh.

Emerald Lady sounds good and is pretty unique. smile.png You could also go with something snake themed, but you might get accused of being Slytherin then.

Ok, so I have done a little research and I found a minor Order Militant name that is semi officially mentioned.  It was mentioned in the eye of terror codex, but the only information is that this lesser order had fought in the 13th crusade, however their is no mention of parent major order, color scheme, or order icon.    The order name is Order of the Wounded Heart.  This would basically fit my planned icon of a horn surrounded by thorns.   I could probably say that the major order they came from is the Valorous heart.  This would give me a semi official chapter, one with a name, and I could just work up my own background info from that.  At least I like the name and its a place to start. 

Ok, so due to ebay never working out as intended, as far as trying to get the bulk of this sisters army cheaper than investing in brand new, I had to retweak my list a little. 

Anyways, So my new 1k list will be as follows.

Canoness with power weapon/rosarius

Dominions x5, vet sis with combi melta, 2x meltaguns

Immolator with TL multimelta

Battle sisters x10 2x stormbolters

Battle sisters x10, flamer, heavy flamer

Battle sisters x10, Flamer, Multimelta

Retributors x6, 4x Heavy bolters

Immolator w/ TL heavy bolters w/ Inferon Bolts

Exorcist

Basically I figured this would be more favorable for smaller games and makes use of the models I current own, and recently invested in.  Only thing I still have to aquire will be the Immolators, but since It wont be painted overnight, will probably invest in them sometime in May.  

Now to start painting and enjoying my break from school this week.  Hope to have the canoness done and maybe the exorcist this week, along with some of my Angels of Vengence units.   I had seriosly Debated on investing in some seraphim and Celestine, but that will just have to wait till later when I decide to expand the army to 1500 points.  Celestine is just to hard to pass up, but I seriously want to do a conversion of the model, remove the dove, change the blade of the power sword(cause I can't stand the roses attached to it, or is that a lot of purity seals), and add some electric wings like the image of Saint Sabbat.  

I think fluff wise, I am going to still call my order, the Order of the Wounded Heart, and have them owe special tribute to Saint Sabbat, or more specifically around the reincarnation of Saint Sabbat.    Guess I have to get all the background info together and work out a little background for how they were founded and which major order they came from.    For now, i am just going to sit back, enjoy painting the models, and enjoy stripping and getting the ebay purchases all straightened out and ready for paint.    

Also I am looking to build a display board, might just take the time to enter the sister army into the armies on parade at the local GW store in late june.  Gives me two months basically to build and paint the army and put together a display board.   So any ideas would be awesome as well.  Already brainstorming, so just wondering if I should go with the inside of a temple, or guarding a shrine.   Would look odd having the vehicles inside the temple though.   maybe guarding a shrine would work best.  

So started painting my canoness.  Am I the only one who glued the book hand in place of a pistol just to realize only after assembling, priming, and only during painting do i realize it goes on the other arm, not that one, even though the idea of holding a book ahead of her looks more impressive than the book being open with her head in the opposite direction.   Sigh, oh well, too late, she is gonna have an awkward hand that only will be noticable if you look at it up close.  Good thing she is one of those models that will be replaced later on when I decide to invest in a celestine model, or when GW gives us new sister rules and a reason to field a cool canoness.  

Archived