Rules Question: Feel No Pain

Sorry, but I can't think of another place to post this.

Playing a game the other day, my friend and I had an unresolved rules question. We'll use a Tau battlesuit commander with stimulant injectors as an example. He has Feel No Pain (because of the stimulant injectors and a 3+ armor save. If somebody hits him with, let's say, a lascannon or a meltagun, does he get his Feel No Pain roll? Since the rules say he has to "suffer an unsaved wound" to use it, I said that he has to fail an armor save to use it. However, my friend says that he can use Feel No Pain even when denied his armor save. Can a model use Feel No Pain even when he is denied his armor save, or is this just for models that fail an armor save? Can someone please clarify this for me?

Just for the purposes of this discussion:

FEEL NO PAIN
Whether through force of will, bionic augmentation or foul sorcery, this warrior does not feel pain as others do, and can fight through fearsome wounds.

When a model with this special rule suffers an unsaved Wound, it can make a special Feel no Pain roll to avoid being wounded (this is not a saving throw). Roll a D6 each time an unsaved Wound is suffered. On a 4 or less, you must take the Wound as normal. On a 5+, the unsaved Wound is discounted - treat it as having been saved.

Note that Feel No Pain rolls cannot be made against unsaved Wounds that inflict Instant Death.

If a unit has the Feel No Pain special rule with a number in brackets afterwards - Feel No Pain (6+), for example, - then t he number in brackets is the D6 result needed to discount the Wound.

Sorry, but I can't think of another place to post this.

Playing a game the other day, my friend and I had an unresolved rules question. We'll use a Tau battlesuit commander with stimulant injectors as an example. He has Feel No Pain (because of the stimulant injectors and a 3+ armor save. If somebody hits him with, let's say, a lascannon or a meltagun, does he get his Feel No Pain roll? Since the rules say he has to "suffer an unsaved wound" to use it, I said that he has to fail an armor save to use it. However, my friend says that he can use Feel No Pain even when denied his armor save. Can a model use Feel No Pain even when he is denied his armor save, or is this just for models that fail an armor save? Can someone please clarify this for me?

Just for the purposes of this discussion:

Is a Wound suffered because the target model gets no save "unsaved"?

BRB, pg.15 : "First of all, the target unit gets to make one saving throw, if it has one (see pg.16), for each Wound being resolved.  Make a note of how many unsaved Wounds have been caused."

A Lascannon or Meltagun will cause Instant Death on a Tau commander without Iridium Armour (which makes him T5) so he wouldn't get FNP (you provided the quote for that already)

An unsaved wound is a wound caused either by failing a save or bypassing said save (through having a lower AP than the models armour save)

In other words any wounds remaining after the "saves" part of the shooting/assault procedure is an unsaved wound, regardless of whether a saving throw was taken or not.

Thanks for the response. I know that the example wasn't very good because of the instant death thing.

Okay, so from what you're saying:

- If a model is denied an armor save, invulnerable save, and/or cover save, he can still make a Feel No Pain roll if he has one.
- If a model rolls an armor save, invulnerable save, and/or cover save and fails, he can still make a Feel No Pain roll if he has one.

Yes?

There's a difference between an unsaved Wound and a failed Armor Save.
One involves a Wound happening without a Save stopping it, while the other is a Save failing.

Feel No Pain happens whenever a Wound is inflicted, whether that be through lack of a Save, or an existing Save failing.

A "failed Save" is what you're thinking of, because it requires there to be a Save that fails in the first place.

In short, your friend was right.

Thanks for the response. I know that the example wasn't very good because of the instant death thing.

Okay, so from what you're saying:

- If a model is denied an armor save, invulnerable save, and/or cover save, he can still make a Feel No Pain roll if he has one.

- If a model rolls an armor save, invulnerable save, and/or cover save and fails, he can still make a Feel No Pain roll if he has one.

Yes?

Not quite:

Death Company Marine (T4) takes a wound from a plasmagun. He is not allowed an armour save, since it is AP2, but he is allowed a FNP save since it is not instant death (double toughness).

Lets then say a unit of Striking Scorpions has been given FNP from a psy power (forget the name right now), and then is hit my an assault cannon. 3 wounds, no rends. They get their 3+ save (Assault Cannon being AP4) but no FNP since it is double toughness.

The ID thing is important to remember, even if it confuses things slightly to start with till you get the hang of it, since it can make a big difference...

• 9 months later...

Archived