Best materials for casting from this supplier?

Roma

Not sure what you're after here? Is it to create molds (I assume of models/parts you've created yourself)

Or have you got the molds and are looking to cast using their resin supplies? In which cast I'd say go elsewhere because they don't have the correct materials (again assuming it's 28mm miniatures of your own scultping and design, or somesuch)

Not sure what you're after here? Is it to create molds (I assume of models/parts you've created yourself)

Or have you got the molds and are looking to cast using their resin supplies? In which cast I'd say go elsewhere because they don't have the correct materials (again assuming it's 28mm miniatures of your own scultping and design, or somesuch)

I need to make molds of models, then cast them.

Thanks for your reply, can you specify why their plastic resins arent correct though? 

Well it comes down to the type of resin it is.  You specified no clear resin, gelcoat is not what you want, so that leaves http://catalog.rpmsupplies.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=50_101&product_id=595

It's benefits list things like suitable for water/marine use, it is for creating fibreglass/resin contructs, not 28mm fine detail miniatures. By all means call them to discuss. Is there a specific product on that site you were looking at?

I'm no expert, but I talk to the companies I buy from as they are.

Now I've used http://www.mbfg.co.uk/ they also have an ebay store http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MB-Fibreglass they're based in Belfast.

If you discuss with them you have some miniatures you've sculpted and you want to cast they can give you a couple of options on resin. They should also be able to give you an idea on what materials to buy for creating a silicone mould (assuming that's the kind you want to make?)

Also check out this step by step guide on silicone mould making

http://www.b9robotresource.com/molding1.htm

What you want is mold silicone with a shore hardness of 22-25 and polyurethane resin, not polyester used in latination of boats and the like. That stuff is cheaper but fragile. I mean 'drop a 28mm mini three inches and it'll snap its legs off' -fragile.

But.. And Im not attacking or anything but I've seen your casting related topics and I have this feeling that you might be one of "these guys".

Well what are "these guys" you ask?

They are these guys, usually young, that pop up once in a while thinking: 'Hey! you can buy molding and casting stuff so why buy models that cost so much?'

And again sorry if you're not one of them.

I can tell you as I was once one of "those guys" that it just doesn't work that way.

Molding and casting is a fun part of this hobby and I recommend to anyone but it takes time and practise to actually learn this stuff. It helps if you can invest money in aiding equipment like a spincaster and/or pressure pot(s).

But in the end you find you've spent more time and money doing a few good cast than you'd need to just buy an army even at GWs prices.

Just my 2 cents. And anywho if you really like to know about things regarding casting I'll gladly help as I can. One thing that would help is to know where are you from? Are you looking for a US, EU or some other source?

I'm in the process of learning casting and mold making and I can absolutely echo Hanska's remarks. You will NOT save modey making your own molds and casts. I'm working on scratch building a Thunderbolt fighter and using Casting for part of the process. In materials I've already spent over $200 and most of that material was used in what I would call "learning efforts", first casting attempts, bad molds, incorrectly made molds, bad casts... the list goes on. You can check out my blog for more details about the process and what I've learned so far in it. That being said I can say that learning to cast good quality items opens up a lot of options and abilities for you has a modler.

wow maverike, thats a great blog.

Ill also echo the above posts, while I can finally cast my own pieces, you will not be able to make full sprues with the level of detail GW can, you can get damn close but youll never get quite that level.

I cast my own noise marines parts and am working on some Alpha LEgion stuff based on the concept drawings from Vraks, I use about $200AU worth of material and equipment to get some very good results but be prepared to bin the first few attempts/sculpts.

For shoulderparts etc. your probably better off just doing the greenstuff "cold casting" technique - needs no special equipment just press molds and press in teh green stuff.

good luck though, im just about to start using a vacuum chamber.

I will also echo the sentiment that casting will not save you money (unless you're casting that much), but if and when you get to a level where you're confident that you can work with a pressure chamber, do it. The results are excellent.

No, sorry. A small one costs about NZ$400, so that's actually a fair bit cheaper than yours, it would seem. New Zealand has more issue with the sole supplier of model-suitable resin/silicon closing down (something the local film industry is up in arms about).

Archived