New FAQ (April)

cielaq

The faq is all good to me.

• All sarges have power swords only – I can live with that, just – from a fluff perspective (2nd Ed fluff that is whistlingW.gif )

• Not too bothered about the PFG in vehicle change thing either.

• And I didn't put more than 50% of DW squads into reserve (rounding up) anyway - besides this to me is a rule clarification rather than an outright change.

• Liking the extra RW command squad bikes.

Would've liked a boost to the Nephilim Jetfighter -- maybe next time.

But the DA Codex is far from dead as some here I see have said.

Cheers

I

Ditto. I can understand that it can be tough if you think you are losing something powerful, i guess i tend to play on the conservative side of things, and havent played enough games to have pfg landraider combo. I will say the black knight commnd squad is really appealing option and i will probably never need to take the DWCS as a result. Lost oportunity with the aircraft though... With the storm talon at 110pts there is no reason for the nephillim to be more than 150 and the dtalon at 140 at the most. Nephy could stay at 180 if it had vector dancer though.

You're paying 9 points more for a TH/SS terminator than C:SM and all your getting out of it is fearless, PE(CSM), and no combat squads and combat tactics. If we compare them to BA (who are the only other marines that have to pay for TH/SS so far),

Umm, reality check time - Space Wolf TDA pays +50pts for their TH & SS (+25pts each). A 5-man pack costs 415pts.

The faq is all good to me.

• All sarges have power swords only – I can live with that, just–;from a fluff perspective (2nd Ed fluff that is http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/whistlingW.gif"]http://image.bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_emoticons/default/whistlingW.gif[/url] )

• Not too bothered about the PFG in vehicle change thing either.

• And I didn't put more than 50% of DW squads into reserve (rounding up) anyway - besides this to me is a rule clarification rather than an outright change.

• Liking the extra RW command squad bikes. 

Would've liked a boost to the Nephilim Jetfighter -- maybe next time.

But the DA Codex is far from dead as some here I see have said.

Cheers

I

While I agree that the Codex is far from dead, it saddens me that the emphasis of this Codex is on the RW and the DW had to suffer.

While I have never used the DWA on more then 50% of my army, it would have been a good tool to help the viability of a pure DW force. While this isn't the worst thing ever it's still a bummer.

The PFG was nice and seemed similar to what other armies can manage. I never used it, but it didn't seem out of balance. This to me isn't a big deal.

I really hope the DW Sgt fiasco is a typo. Sure it's not a big deal if 2nd edition is your idea of the perfect set of rules, but it's not mine. I've spent hours and hours greenstuffing/sculpting and painting several unique sergeants with TH/SS for my army and to have a non-nonsensical out of the blue ruling like this really grinds me the wrong way. I don't see how this is unbalanced. I mean if we are pulling old fluff and rules from the past I want my terminators armor saves to be 4+ on 2d6.

I mean if we are pulling old fluff and rules from the past I want my terminators armor saves to be 4+ on 2d6.

Time for some penance - it was 3+ on 2d6. :lol:

Typher" post="3356087" timestamp="1366764126"]

I mean if we are pulling old fluff and rules from the past I want my terminators armor saves to be 4+ on 2d6.

Wow sign me up for that armor save.

That's what it used to be.

That's what it used to be.

My CSM codex says 3 on 2d6 except Abby's which was 2 on 2d6...   I thought they were all 2 on 2d6.  My Angels of Death is hiding...

haha my point exaclty. Long dead rules sets should stay just that... dead.

I'd understand the need for clarifying the DWA rules.. it was a bit grey.

The PFG didn't seem overly overpowered, but I could see the trend for abuse.

The Sgt with only PS and SB sudden change.... golly gee?!?!?! Has to be a typo.

You change things that are broken, things that need fixing. You don't just change some random bit that had nothing to do with being overpowered or broken. Now if they could pick which power wepaon they wanted to use...... that might not be a bad trade off.

Weapons had save modifiers back then so its not *quite* as extreme as it sounds. I think bolters were -1 up to lascannons being -6 if I recall correctly.

Alright, that is more or less exactly what I was expecting.  I guess I should be glad I wasn't one of the people playing 100% off-board Deathwing lists or LRC+PFG bubble armies.  I knew they would get clarified out of existence down the road to I avoided their use in an effort to not have to re-adjust when the Mace of Redemption'd to death.

On the other hand the RW Command Squad got a proper boost which is a welcome sight (and will actually get me to model a proper one when I have some spare dosh for more Black Knight boxes).

Overall these were the changes I was hoping for/expecting.  The army does fine without LRC+PFG bubbles and 100% DWA lists (or at least I have certainly been doing well without either since the codex was released).

I'm actually quite pleased with the FAQ if I do say so myself.

PS - And yes 2nd Edition TDA is 3+ on 2D6 and this was modifier by the armour save modifier.  So a Lascannon hitting a terminator forced a 9+ save on a 2D6 which it actually has a fairly good chance of failing (within a hair of a 5+ save on a D6 actually; funny how that works out ;) ).  I do kind of miss them being nigh invulnerable to small-arms fire though.  But I realize how much rolling 2D6 slows things down when rolling multiple saves (harder to quick-roll without having colour coded dice to pair up).  I've always kind of wanted to see terminators grab a re-rollable save though.  But I think GW have finally managed to nail the cost-survival ratio on them (especially with them moving away from the old AP3 gap that existed; making AP2 rarer was a good soft-change to make).

If my math is right the unmodified probability of this 4+ save on 2d6 is 1/3*1/6 = 6% vs 16% now. that is insane, i have a feeling im not calculating correctly but that is nuts, 3+ on 2d6 is even dirtier 0.03. Those termies wont be falling to dark eldar any time soon, ah termies aint what they used to be. buncha big softies i tell ya....

The problem of this FAQ IMHO is that didnt fixed all that was broken or underpowered addìng on top of that two new bad things.

Flyers are still weak, LSV is still overcosted, Blade of Caliban is still a nonsense.

They fixed Asmodai wargear but he is still the weakest DA SC.

They fixed the RWCS but this is a bad joke cause to upgrade it to 5 bikes you need two boxes of 3 bikes so you have a spare bike that you pay but you could not use and you have 5 bikes Limit that prevents you to get another RWGL.

To pay this you have a fix to PFG that now doesnt even protect the transport of the model holding it (you Will use Your PFG when you Will disembark from you transport wrecked at turn 1/2) a fix to stasis bomb (of the nearly useless DT) and stasis grenades that now cannot reduce stats to 0 (if this is correct For I that is 1 or better its not correct For WS that could be 0) and the fix For DW that allowing you to have CML on top of THSS/LC termies it also stucks Your DW sgt to PS/SB only (its not a big problem but it has annoying modelling WYSIWYG problema).

The clarification about DWA limits its use.

Most People say "I Will live with this things they are not a problem" but we were already living with other limitations.

To me they overall design puts C:DA as the weakest 6th Edition codex and i am pretty sure that no one of the near future dexes (in Order eldar, SM, tyranids, orks, IG following the rumors) Will be weaker than us.

My fear is that in about one year the DA codex Will be almost unplayable. We lived For 6 year with the worst 40k and i don want to repeat the Experience.

I hope that GW Will fix that cause it is becoming really annoying.

m2c

While I don't agree that we are the weakest codex jst because we lost some gimmicks I thinks some changes were irritating to say the least.

Fixed Power sword on sergeant makes no sense... it ruins the rule of cool in a full terminator assault squad and is quite a weak option. But I understand they have to sell more boxes

More BK's for the command squad makes having a BK squad almost pointless, but then again capping it at five and not at 3 might boost sales of boxes

The PFG clarification I can live with but makes no sense considering other similar wargear doing same effect (ork KFF)

DWA... I could see that coming.. it's not game-breaking per se since last edition we had same scheme but this one is still better. Still as per rule of cool, makes no sense having only half of your 1st comapny being able to make a dashing teleport assault..

TL;DR; The FAQ was 50% pure fail, but I can live with it and still enjoy the game. I just wont use terminators anymore because of the stupid sgt rule. teehee.gif Oh wait. That do takes quite alot of enjoyment! pirate.gif

Well, the KFF is a 4E rules set thing, so that will probably change too when they next re-do Orks (or they'll leave it with a similar effect, then -shock and amazement- Orks will hae something different).  The KFF has been gutted anyways, and needs to be a 5+ inv. save, not a cover save.

Like you said, the DWA thing is no shock, and anybody who argued that "in play" and "in Reserves" had a new state of being in the game, that being DWA, was grasping at the thinnest of straws anyways, in my opinion.  Any DW players who plead that they need their full force to show up all at the same time to have a remote chance of victory, well you suck. :P   We have it waaay better than any other Deepstriking force, other than a full-on drop pod army who get numbers and everybody showing up (but at the cost of the Drop Pods themselves), whereas we get Fearless hardarses who double tap the enemy in the face, plus have more stuff showing up soon enough.   Kinda hard to say who sucks worse there, but I don't think the Deathwing are being mistreated at all. :D   Barring two oddities, this is a pretty fair and sensible errata/FAQ.  I should probably look at the other ones now.

I am a little confused on how this rule change targets the CML deathwing at all.  As I interpret the rule now.

Any terminator may Take a cyclone missile launcher.

A terminator that takes a CML still has their storm bolter and powerfist.

Now:

Any Deathwing Terminator can replace his storm bolter and
powerfist with:

LC or TH/SS

So wouldn't a CML + TH/SS termie still be allowed?

So this has nothing to do with the CML launcher.  The new FAQ must be directed at forcing the sgt to take a PS/SB.  Anyone who is hoping it is a typo might be disappointed.

I think this is because you could do some lookout sir shannigans with mitigating any >ap3 wounds after the armour saves were made and take all ap2+ against the sergeant out in front of the squad.  Effectively giving the entire squad a 3+ save while mitigating 50% of small arms fire against the regular old PF/SB termies..

@Inverse: it clarifies the possible interpretation of "may replace all of his weapons with TH/SS" meaning that the CML was included in this replacement, which would have outlawed the CML/TH/SS terminator loadout. It is now explicitly acceptable, rather than just arguably acceptable, to use this loadout.

At first I didn't really care about the DWT squad sgt-load out issues. I now realise I have a Sergeant with TH/SS. Therefore I am outraged and upset one of my sgts has a possible issue regarding his weapons.

/sarcasm

Doesn't worry me in the slightest. Although I feel more compelled to get a Ravenwing command squad now for my Sammael on jetbike. 

Archived