Nox Saeva Vociferatius - Nightlords at Their Most Primal

Flint13

I have to agree on the pose, to be frank. Perhaps work some green stuff magic to give him a more dynamic pose. :P

If I'm perfectly honest, I think you should remove the wings on the helmet. That is one of my favorite helmets in the Chaos miniature line and the wings just sort of detract from the awesome.

Alrighty, lets see here.

@Wicced - You know that lame joke where a friend yells "Hey, your shoe is untied!" And you know it really isn't, but you can't help but to look anyway? That's what I'm feeling atm sweat.gif Don't worry, all that Khornate iconography has been sanded down. Specifically the rune on his forehead, the two on his hip-faulds and the World Eater's tag on his right greave. He still has that awesome horned skull on his left, though. I do really enjoy the poetic justice of using a champion of khorne for a filthy, dirty warp-wielder.

@ DarkVen - OMG! As many times as I've seen your avatar and the "Location: Russia, Tver" right under it, the thought never clicked. Are you a native russian speaker? Mine isn't fluent yet, but I'm working on it. To be fair, its *way* better than my Chechen, Tatar or Bashkir.

@Noctus - You can have my head wingies when you pry them from my cold dead clawstongue.png ! Wicced, can you back me up on this one?

Two questions posed to everyone!

1.) My sorceror does feel a bit static, probably because I was aiming for a stoic "Bring it!" pose. Any specific suggestions to liven him up?

2.) Does anyone know how to paint a good terror marking on a grey knight helm (or better yet, have pic examples)? I love the Teutonic look to them, and they are nasty with a topknot, but they don't seem conducive to a fanged skull mask. A crushed soul and midnight chip flavored cookie to whoever helps out!

1 - You may probably turn his hands. For example, you may turn the sword down and repose his hand with axe, so that he could lean on it. But there's not so many options when his legs are placed like 'I'm catching a freakin' puck man!'. The best way is to play with some options on yourself and see what pleases you.

2 - Honestly, terror-marking works with teutonic helmets not so good. Mine example:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7282/csm3melta1.jpg

И да, для меня русский - родной. Do not speak any Chechen, Tatar or Bashkir though, more for English, German and French. Spanish some time in future :)

*guns the activation rune on his chainaxe, letting the the teeth snarl for a moment* That can be arranged....

As for the Greyknight helmet, I don't currently own and pics to give such an example but here's a picture of an idea I had that might work for you.

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/modern-warfare-2-ghost.jpg

While this isn't a helmet, it helps get the idea I want to envoke across. Only the half of the face is shown so imagine that the bridge of his nose represents the conversion point of the helm's face plate. The entire segment of the face plates (save for the occasional vent holes or slits, are complete blank slates that would be perfect for some fancy freehand painting. My suggestion is on one side of the faceplate, paint a closed fanged maw, comprising of the entire  jaw bone and only the teeth of the top part of the skull. I think it will have more effect if you do it on one side as opposed to both. Not sure why, I just think it would be cooler.

Also, another example I found.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs49/i/2009/192/f/9/Enemy_within_by_razorsteel.jpg

Hope these help.

Sweet, that was quick. Thanks guys!

@ DarkVen - One day I'll be able to highlight like that. Although you did sum up his pose perfectly. He does look like a hockey goaly. Caldaron gave me a good plan for painting terror markings so they aren't just flat white, so I'm going to try that out. Also...

Мой русский становится все лучше. Я люблю язык, так как это очень мило. Чеченские, татарские и башкирские требования к моим русским степени, потому что они являются незначительными языках, но они не так весело, чтобы узнать. Кроме того, мы можем смеяться вместе на других людей в Интернете, и они не будут знать по-разному.

@ Excessus - I worked really hard converting his axe so that stays. His right hand *could* go, but I always run him with a force sword and power axe in game, so I'd need to find a spot somewhere to stick the sword that won't be awkward.

@ Noctus - Yay, my first murder-duel! Also, did you just post a Codblops pic up in here? Haha, all joking aside, I think you're right. That balaclava looks pretty sweet. I think I'm going to try to paint a fanged maw on the left side of his helmet grill. At the least, I should be able to do pretty good pointy teeth on the bottom jaw. I agree, one side probably would look cooler, kind of like celtic warpaint a la William Wallace.

sorry mate, i would back you on winged helmets in general, but i can't with this onetsweat.gif

i think in his case it looks like they make it quite impossible to turn your head.

1 - You may probably turn his hands. For example, you may turn the sword down and repose his hand with axe, so that he could lean on it. But there's not so many options when his legs are placed like 'I'm catching a freakin' puck man!'. The best way is to play with some options on yourself and see what pleases you.

2 - Honestly, terror-marking works with teutonic helmets not so good. Mine example:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7282/csm3melta1.jpg

И да, для меня русский - родной. Do not speak any Chechen, Tatar or Bashkir though, more for English, German and French. Spanish some time in future smile.png

I really like this figure. A lot of character and some implied malice.

I'm definitely a bigger fan of understated Night Lords as opposed to bat wing helmets and such, haha.

I agree the legs are a bit eh.

But!

If you don't mind chopping off that ridiculously large powercord feeding into his axe handle, I would do that, and then drop his arm down a bit and rotate his wrist to point the axe a bit more outwards to open up his pose a little. His sword arm you can also drop down a bit and then reattach the hand to point it down, fill in the wrist with GS so you end up with a relaxed but ready "Come at me bro" stance. 

I do also kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of agree about the bat wings being removed. I'm usually all for personal choice when it comes to bat or no bat Night Lords, but those would actually really get in the way of movement like Wicced pointed out.

I actually like the helmet wings. 

1)  They help the model stand out from the rank-and-file, showing that fluff wise he comes from a different tradition.

2) they don't actually restrict head movement that much, if you assume that they are made from a flexible material. When you compare the already limited terminator head movement range, and how much Zuhfor's  Chin already restrict movement it isn't that much of an additional restriction.

3) they remind me in some ways of a cobra's hood, something that flares out to intimidate and demoralize their opponents. 

I'd consider ditching the spike racks and moving the wings to the upper collar, behind the arrow symbols on it, which would give him a really unique and menacing silhouette, as well as letting the head turn. Consider lowering one of the arms and letting a weapon seem to hang in a relaxed grip. It is still a static pose, but not as stiff.

I really like these guys and the ideas you have! Looking forward to seeing them develop.

It's update time! But first, some post replies.

@Wicced & Goose - But... come on, he looks like one of cobra commander's particularly vicious minions. Haha, I'm starting to see what you mean. From a "form before function" standpoint, his head does look a little silly. It's sort of like the problem Micheal Keaton had when playing Batman. His headpiece was ceramic, so the best combat moves the Batkeaton could manage (with countless years training with ninjas) were awkward, shunting dodges.

I am going to go back and rearrange his arms though. The axe cable will come off, which will clear it up and provide room for his spellbook. The Chaos knight sword will probably end up inverted as well.

@TJ - Thanks for the backup.

@ Death Given Form - I have seen this done before. I think Brovatar's Nightlord Lord used gargoyle wings on the shoulders. I've also seen the complete graveguard banner topper placed on the top of the collar, sort of like how the origonal Zhufor has a Khorne symbol up there. Something to work at, I suppose.

And now for new stuff!

Bam! (x2)

gallery_71150_8426_420094.jpg

Here's my pre-heresy Div. Librarian, because Fury of the Legion isn't enough. It must be prescienced! And better yet if your target is misfortuned at the same time. I love playing to the Nightlords' preference of an unfair fight happy.png.

*sigh*, of course my goofy camera would focus on the tip of his sword. Does this provide atleast a decent idea? He uses a grey knight MK4 helmet (with a topknot. I love topknots) and legs with the tabard green-stuffed over with fur. Then a filed down khorne beserker torso completes his spring ensemble.

gallery_71150_8426_13462.jpg

I know the greenstuffing around his hands is a bit rough, I am hard at work filing it down in between bouts of typing this.

So as I was racking my imagination for a good dramatic/antiheroic name, just sort of staring at him on my paint desk, I started to wonder if maybe a staff *and* a sword was too much. I began to suspect they would be a little awkward to wield simultaneously...

gallery_71150_8426_168668.jpg

At which point my girlfriend wandered by. She glanced at him and declared "He looks like Space Gandalf," and then went about her business of changing for zumba.

The sword and staff stay. Introducing Librarius Adept Divinitatus (Mc)Kellan, the Kragwraith.

Kellan had a savage reputation of appearing from the mists and fogs of the Nostraman steppes to lead the hillfolk in daring ambushes against supply and material trains from the main hives. Whenever he was rarely pinned down in combat, the young Nostraman would fight like a creature not in touch with this reality, striking and weaving through his better equiped foes. He still carries the skull of his first noble kill, a 3rd spine aristocrat of hive quintus, worked into the staff which focuses his psychic abilities.

V'rukt Witcheater took great pleasure in hunting down this whelp to induct into his librarius core in the veterans of the 28th. Now trained well in both combat and the warp-arts, Kellan Kragwraith has perfected his ghostly abilites, slipping from shadows in perfectly positioned assaults that leave only wreck and ruin in the wake of the Saeva Nocte.

i see you're one who likes big weapons wink.png

i think the staff and the sword are a little too much though. even space marines with superhuman balance and dexterity would be uncomfortable with two two-handed weapons.

just my personal taste, but i'd change his sword to something smaller, maybe a one-handed blade...

• 5 months later...

Mk, back to work. Let's see if I can get this pic taking thing down.

Here's my new Cataphratii Chaplain for leading my legion terminators.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b533/Flint1324/P8310003_zpse429c598.jpg

Also my first attempt at building a chain-glaive. I think it came out pretty well. Here's a better view.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b533/Flint1324/P8310005_zpse4748186.jpg

Hmm... pics are a lil bit blurry. Oh well, I'll have to get better at that too ^_^

Feel free to toss helpful criticisms!

Thanks Chyld! Working on it as we speak. Woah... I wonder what "Super Macro" mode does on this camera...

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b533/Flint1324/P8310007_zps92bd2f82.jpg

HA! Hot diggity damn! Much better.

Alrighty, his little greenstuff head needs some work. If you'll notice, the brow ridge over his left eye is a little jacked up, which is mostly intentional. When painted, it'll be more obvious that he has a deep rent down the faceplate on that side, which bisects the left eye lens. I'm hoping it shall look suitably awesome.

Here's his flirty side.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b533/Flint1324/P8310006_zpsea6d7806.jpg

I'll have to clean up his good brow ridge a bit, but otherwise he's pretty much done.

And lastly, a better view of his kitbashed chainglaive. Can you tell I'm *really* excited for Massacre's awesome rules for these things? A command squad of artificer armored chainglaive Nightlords may or may not be in the works.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b533/Flint1324/P8310002_zpsa251ee56.jpg

Pretty obvious it's built out of four different weapons, but I'm thinking paint will sort that out happy.png

Hmm... he does look definitively like a Nightlords character, I mean noone can argue he has those fear causing trophies, but nothing about him screams "CHAPLAIN." Any good ideas from anyone?

Like always, feel free to yell helpful stuff.

Uh oh... a quick painting snag...

Pre-heresy Nightlords are the classic midnight blue with matte black trim. What trim color would look good on the chaplain since he's already blacked out? I'm thinking a dull brassy color along the lines of the post-heresy color scheme. Maybe a foreshadow of things to come.

Uh oh... a quick painting snag...

Pre-heresy Nightlords are the classic midnight blue with matte black trim. What trim color would look good on the chaplain since he's already blacked out? I'm thinking a dull brassy color along the lines of the post-heresy color scheme. Maybe a foreshadow of things to come.

Where does it say the PH color was midnight with matte black trim? AFAIK it was and always has been midnight blue trimmed in gold/brass.

If you check the Forgeworld page for Massacre http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/THE_HORUS_HERESY_BOOK_TWO_-_MASSACRE.html There is a page for the Nightlords. I believe it is the 8th (appropriate) picture down over on the right there.

Shows the two legionares, one from the Crimson Sons, one from an assault squad wielding a lightning claw. Both of them have matte black trim around thier midnight blue plate, while the Crimson Son has one dark red shoulder pad.

Was this just for a couple of squads, or was it legion standard? I'm 90% certain the Nightlord pages in the Massacre trailer depict them with black trim as well.

Thanks for the help so far!

Archived