Some Viking Lore for you

WG Vrox

46597_533582720021273_1282283782_n.jpg
"Tyr is a one-handed god, and leavings of the wolf and prince of temples". The gods decided to shackle the Fenris wolf (Fenrir), but the beast broke every chainthey put upon him. Eventually they had the dwarves make them a magical ribbon called Gleipnir. It appeared to be only a silken ribbon but was made of six wondrous ingredients: the sound of a cat's footfall, the beard of a woman, the roots of a mountain, bear's sinews (meaning nerves, sensibility), fish's breath and bird's spittle. The creation of Gleipnir is said to be the reason why none of the above exist.[7] Fenrir sensed the gods' deceit and refused to be bound with it unless one of them put his hand in the wolf's mouth. Tyr, known for his great wisdom and courage, agreed, and the other gods bound the wolf. After Fenrir had been bound by the gods, he struggled to try to break the rope. Fenrir could not break the ribbon and enraged, bit Tyr's right hand off. When the gods saw that Fenrir was bound they all rejoiced, except Tyr. Fenrir will remain bound until the day of Ragnarök.

When Fenris grow up, Tyr was the only god that dared to feed the wolf. But after a while when Fenris was full-grown, something provoked him (probably Loke), and Fenris wrought havoc to the lands. The gods managed to find the wolf and tried to chain him, but he ofcourse wasn't too eager about that. So Tyr went forward and did the only thing he thought possible for the moment, and put his hand into Fenris mouth.
The wolf was calm, lay down and shut his eyes for a moment. During that momentum the gods tried to sneak upon the chain, but when Fenris felt the chain around his neck, in rage and surprise he bit Tyr...

A version I have heard atleast. smile.png

Btw, don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but if you wan't to see a good norse settings, see the ongoing History Channel show "Vikings". It ain't historical correct, but it is thrilling and entertaining. :)

When Fenris grow up, Tyr was the only god that dared to feed the wolf. But after a while when Fenris was full-grown, something provoked him (probably Loke), and Fenris wrought havoc to the lands. The gods managed to find the wolf and tried to chain him, but he ofcourse wasn't too eager about that. So Tyr went forward and did the only thing he thought possible for the moment, and put his hand into Fenris mouth.

The wolf was calm, lay down and shut his eyes for a moment. During that momentum the gods tried to sneak upon the chain, but when Fenris felt the chain around his neck, in rage and surprise he bit Tyr...

A version I have heard atleast. smile.png

Btw, don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but if you wan't to see a good norse settings, see the ongoing History Channel show "Vikings". It ain't historical correct, but it is thrilling and entertaining. smile.png

Yes, Vikings is fantastic!

Also, cool story I was not aware of. Thanks for sharing! msn-wink.gif

Btw, don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but if you wan't to see a good norse settings, see the ongoing History Channel show "Vikings". It ain't historical correct, but it is thrilling and entertaining. smile.png

No worries, thread is about vikings so fits in eh. I have been told several times that I should watch Vikings. I don't get that channel, so I am hoping it shows up on netflix soon.

Archived