Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

I just tried out Vallejo's Liquid Silver and Liquid Gold on my Warlord Titan project last night!  The trick is to dilute with 91%+ IPA (the stronger the better) and keep adding drops to your palette as you go.  I'm very impressed by their coverage!

Yeah, I just accidentally poured a bit too much on to my palette.  Because it was a deep pool, the sediment sank very easily, and it required a ton of frequent stirring.  Plus, it absolutely devours brushes (yes I used synthetic).  The easy flow is one of the points of using it, but it also means that control is something of an issue on fine details, like the chains running across the Helbrecht model, for instance.  

Another important note: don't get it anywhere near water.  Alcohol only.  Once it's dry, you can use water based acrylics without worry, but mixing water while it's still liquid means it can actually rust (and rust the model it's on as well).  

Hopefully, all I need to do now is a simple silver highlight and a Vallejo Sepia Wash (and a ton of clean up where the paint wandered off course), and I'll be golden.  Yay puns! :biggrin.:

So that'll be tomorrow's work.  Good times.

On another note, looking at the pool of gold can be mesmerizing.  The metal and pigment flows and swirls and dances about in the palette.  Trippy. :teehee:

Edited by Firepower

Yeah, I'm enjoying my work with it quite a bit! It would take me forever to do this with GW's acrylic metallics, but the alcohol-based Liquid Metals go on so quick and smooth...

I watched and re-watched every YouTube video I could find on the subject, plus crawling B&C, DakkaDakka and Warseer for threads. I wasn't going to risk this without research! I picked up a pile of brass-capped synthetic brushes just for this, but I've yet to nuke any of them. Again, I found the trick to be frequent diluting/washing with IPA before the pigment binds to the bristles. It's nerve-wracking and time-consuming, but the results speak for themselves!

Edited by CommodusXIII

TITH Woo hoo I picked up both of my orders I made. My poor backpack was crammed during the bike ride back. :laugh.:

So yeah I have my SoBs, Paladin/Errent Knight and Datacards which I thought I wouldn't get until Saturday but instead got them today. :) Yay!

TITH Was nearing the end of my tube of plastic glue so tried to get as much of my Knight finished with it. Trying to get the glue out when I realized I was getting glue on my fingers but they weren't near the nozzle. Found two holes in the tube and the glue was coming out of them. So trashed that tube and now have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to get another one. :sad.:

Thinking of getting one of those bottles with the thin long nozzle(like the thin glue GW sells) because I have a bad habit of accidentally squeezing too much glue out of the testors tube. *Sigh*

Yesterday in the hobby, I picked up a used Land Raider, a used Rhino, a space marine assault squad on the sprue, a space marine venerable dreadnought on the sprue, and a brand new tactical objective card box! The land raider is a little worse for wear. The lascannons are all detached from the sponsons. The forward side exit doors are missing. And there are no crew hatches, smoke launchers, or storm bolter. And its base painted in black. The rhino is also black, but its in ok shape. The smoke launchers are broken and its missing the pintle mounted storm bolter. Going to be a long reconstruction, but the techmarines tell me their machine spirits are intact and are eager to get back into the fight. Edited by Captain Antonius

Today in the hobby, I tried using the GW base texture paints. Went on okay, but once dried, it all came off the bases with little provocation :sad.: Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Today in the hobby, I finally bought an ultrasonic cleaner.  I don't strip model often, but a couple of terminators that were part of my ETL vow were turning out badly, and painting over them was merely compounding the problem.

About 15 minutes in the cleaner, with scrubs between each 3-minute cycle, got them very clean - mostly down to bare plastic.  I highly recommend this for people who need to strip miniatures - saves a lot of work.

Today in the hobby, I finally bought an ultrasonic cleaner.  I don't strip model often, but a couple of terminators that were part of my ETL vow were turning out badly, and painting over them was merely compounding the problem.

About 15 minutes in the cleaner, with scrubs between each 3-minute cycle, got them very clean - mostly down to bare plastic.  I highly recommend this for people who need to strip miniatures - saves a lot of work.

I've been thinking about investing in one of those. Do you have any recommendations?

The kind I bought is a pretty basic, generic model that seems to be sold under a variety of brand names.

This is the one I got: http://www.harborfreight.com/ultrasonic-cleaner-3305.html.

It's big enough to clean several terminators or maybe a dreadnought.  There is a larger size that could probably do a Land Raider but it's more expensive.

Weird. At my local hobby store there's always extra copies of issues on the shelf. For issue 66 I think I grabbed one of only two copies there. Mind you this was a week after the initial release but it seemed to have went quick compared to others.

It is still nowhere to be found around here.  I haven't been able to locate a source.

Can't  guarantee it, but my local independent store might have a copy. I'll check after work tomorrow :)

Received my Elysian Drop Troops order from an eBay seller ready to get to work on my infantry kitbash, only to discover that it wasn't an original from Forge World; just an incredibly bad remold. Annoyed, but that'll teach me to learn Polish.

Guess I'm going to have to buy a kit off of FW now. >_>

The other day in the hobby (Friday) I checked out the new GW brushes at my FLGS and was thoroughly disappointed.  More of the same, it seems.  I did pick up a S Base, M Base and M Glaze brush, but the rest were horribad.  

The quest to find a good Kolinsky brush locvally continues - I called the art store downtown and they didn't have what I needed either.  So I finally had to set aside my reluctance to buy brushes online and go with a vendor that many hobbyists have had lots of good luck with.  I ordered a couple of Raphael 8404's (#1 and #2 ) and a W&N S7 (#2) from Dick Blick, to go with the W&N S7's in #0 and #00 that I already have.

I'll still keep the GW brushes I just bought, and a couple of other decent synthetic brushes, for things like metallics, AP Quick Shades, and AV Surface Primer - all of which I have discovered to be very rough on brushes.