Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH, I pondered a few things while assembling the last of my IW......

- Warlord Titans. In my day, I swear they had a proper bridge, a walk-about small Star Trek style room, with a Princeps, a few gunners, a few for moving it, and a Tech Priest or two with bloody incense. So, enough space for 7-8 fellas. Sure I saw similar in cartoons/illustrations at the time, and now FW have modelled it exactly the same as a Warhound. Doesn't add up to me.

- Astra Mill...Milli....ach, Imp. Guard. Why do we still endure the limitations of Cadians ? Pool together the similar looking ones, and you could have a Catachan/Cadian box, a Tallarn/Steel Legion box, a Mordian/Pretorian box, and a Valhalla/Vostroyan box. Keep the bodies sparse, with pouches/daggers/thematic bits seperate, lots of heads and the odd banner etc. for HQs.

You'd have 4 boxes for squads/command, and 4 for heavy weapons teams, all interchangable with a bit of effort. Tallarn legs, Mordian bodies and Vostroyan heads = kilted Highlinder style. This should be every IG player's dream shirley ?

- Would a return of Genestealer Cults ever be competitive ? Doubt it, but I still want them back. Swapping my own cult with a friend for his entire Necromunda collection was great at the time, but boy do I miss them.....

Today in the hobby, I got a Foldio portable light box and a Nikon Coolpix S7000 camera.  I am hoping that this great light box and a "real" camera will give me better photographs of my work than the cell phone camera I've had to use up until now.

Ulfgrim: For the best shots possible you'll need to get a tripod.

Then you can use longer exposures and get away from the need for a flash.

Flash photography flattens depth and drops the contrast, so everything should instantly look better. It'll probably give you as much increase in picture quality as you've seen from the light box again.

I've got a tabletop tripod (which I've been using from the start), but I really do not have room for a floor tripod.  My apartment is far too small.

I also am careful about my camera settings - macro mode, ISO 100 or as close as possible, spot metering, and a favorable white balance.  

Edited by Ulfgrim Alvsbane

Could you not put the lightbox on a few books or a wee platform.

That way you could get the position you want for taking the pictures you want to capture?

Today in the hobby, the Lord of Skulls just got a whole lot cool thanks to Forgeworld:

blogger-image--1968174031.jpg

Their Chaos Knight kit is pretty neat too:

blogger-image-120745614.jpg

Also, Sigismund has just become the first part of my next Forgworld order whenever I make it.  Then I will finally have a Sigismund the Despoiler for my Chaos army.  Of course I will need to convert a little, like that iron halo into a Chaos Octed, add the etched brass chaos stars around the Imperial Fists icon, swap the pack for a more Chaos flavored one, and a few other detail modifications.

blogger-image--471459176.jpg

Could you not put the lightbox on a few books or a wee platform.

That way you could get the position you want for taking the pictures you want to capture?

Isn't that what the tabletop tripod does?  I guess I'm not understanding your question.

TITH I accidentally broke a power axe, just hoping the superglue holds it. I'm also chafing that the next week basically allows me no painting time. Definitely considering slotting the Sorcerer for my vow into the Chosen squad for painting purposes, gotta keep that batch paint train rolling.

Dragonlover

TITH, while working on my ETL IV vow, I unintentionally did some work on my on/off Decal Printing Tutorial. Somewhere on my Sicaran is a decal, light image on clear paper, that will be almost invisible once I add a coat of Micro Sol and a clear coat.

TITH, while working on my ETL IV vow, I unintentionally did some work on my on/off Decal Printing Tutorial. Somewhere on my Sicaran is a decal, light image on clear paper, that will be almost invisible once I add a coat of Micro Sol and a clear coat.

So it's only visible under a new moon if you're a Squat, sort of thing!