Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Today in the hobby, I'm in the middle of an experiment. I'm trying to work out if it's possible to spray models grey and then put a coat of white over the top in such a way that it looks like the model has been highlighted with the white (if that makes sense), so the grey gives the white some depth. I've sprayed some sprue that I keep around for such things with the grey. Just waiting for it to dry so I can add the white...

Edit:

The experiment didn't work. There isn't enough control where the spray of paint is concerned. However, the grey paint I have goes on very well, so I'll be using that instead of black in some cases.

Also:

gallery_51296_8390_201220.png

I still have a fair bit to do on her, but she's coming (definitely need to spray varnish the models when I finish them though)

med_gallery_51296_8390_518068.png

:wub.:

Edited by Aquilanus

Today in the hobby, I'm in the middle of an experiment. I'm trying to work out if it's possible to spray models grey and then put a coat of white over the top in such a way that it looks like the model has been highlighted with the white (if that makes sense), so the grey gives the white some depth. I've sprayed some sprue that I keep around for such things with the grey. Just waiting for it to dry so I can add the white...

Edit:

The experiment didn't work. There isn't enough control where the spray of paint is concerned. However, the grey paint I have goes on very well, so I'll be using that instead of black in some cases.

-snip-

Don't give up yet, I have heard of people doing this before with black and white to create highlights already, so it very well may work.

Edit:

-snip-

Don't give up yet, I have heard of people doing this before with black and white to create highlights already, so it very well may work.

It might possibly be down to the lack of surface area. I'm not willing to risk ruining a Rhino (with FW Sister doors) to try it though. I'll see how things go with the grey basecoat. If I feel the risk is worth it, I'll try it for real...

TITH, I prepped bases I'll need for games this weekend, including a Knight base with HP dice holder. Now to figure out the best way to get that Techmarine Servoharness to non-permanently attach to a set-pose DV Biker...

YITH I contacted FW about a rules question (see thread elsewhere on B&C).

Sunday ITH, I primered my Secret Weapon Forgotten City battle board, with my first attempt at preshading.

... I discovered that a whirlwind barrage doesn't play nicely with Dire Avengers (or Wave Serpents). My first battle with a Gladius (five man squads, an Ironclad and a suppression force) resulted in a comprehensive battering of an aspect warrior formation. It was almost a tabling, but he hid his surviving Warp Spiders behind a bunker...

TDITH I emptied a dirty water pot that had mistakenly lain untouched for over a week. I am almost certain that the substance festering inside may have achieved sentinence. In any event, it was purged with bleach / virus bombed.

• 2 weeks later...

TITH, I'm playing a cat-and-mouse game with the National Weather Service, whose forecast for today's local humidity has been changing hourly (and, for my purposes, negatively). Was supposed to have sub-50% from 1p-8p...now, at 2:30p, it's 63%, too little wind, and won't be sub-40% until 5p-8p... C'mon! I got four knights waiting on a metallic base coat!

Further to my earlier entry re building a knight; I'm not an over zealous GW fanboy but I have to say, this being the first knight I've built, what a magnificent kit it is. The detail, engineering and precision involved make it a joy to put together. Normally building models, apart from the odd special conversion, is a bit of a chore before you open a paint pot. With the knight I'm actually enjoying the build process and consequently taking my time over it.

Just sayin'...

Today in the Hobby, I'm waiting for an oop Seraphim squad to arrive via ebay and an Immolator from GW via my local branch, along with Citadel Journal 49 and the Witch hunters Codex. Come the weekend (I hope), I'll have a big portion of my Sisters army done.

Then I turn my attention back to other things...