2000 BT vs Chaos SM

Hail Brothers!

Last night I had the pleasure of throwing the Black Tide at a pure Nurgle wall. This game will henceforth be known as the game of a billion mistakes... You'll see why that is, and also why it really had no effect on the outcome.

Black Templars:

Marshal: TDA, Claw, SShield

7x Assault Sword Brethren Terminators:  4x Claws, 3x Hammers

Land Raider Crusader

EC: AAC

10x Crusader Knights: Power Fists, Flamer, Frags

10x Crusader Knights: Power Lance, Flamer, Frags (decided to give the lance a go, first time I've tried one)

10x Crusader Archers: Melta, Multimelta

10x Crusader Archers: PlasmaGun, PlasmaCannon

Dreadnought: TL LasCannon

Predator Destructor: LasCannon Sponsons, PotMS

Vindicator

Chaos Space Marines:

Typhus
Nurgle Warpsmith – Combi-Metla
20xChaos Cultists (Zombies) 
7xPlague Marines – 2x Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma, Power Weapon
10xNurgle Chaos Bikers – 2xFlamer, Combi-Flamer, Power Weapon, Icon of Venegence, Veterans of the Long War 
Chaos Predator – TL-Lascannons, Heavy Bolters
Chaos Predator – TL-Lascannons, Heavy Bolters

Mission Type: Crusade (3 Objectives)
Deployment: Dawn of War (Didn't make much a difference. 4x4 table)

Big building in the middle, cant see through it. Towers in the four corners and Craters between the towers for some occasional 5+ saves. Between the 4 towers and the middle building were smaller towers. 

Rather than a turn by turn (since so many details got forgotten that it's embarrassing) I'll just go in the general order of events.

Templars deploy.  Vindi/Pred on my right side with the PowerFist Knight squad and the Melta Archer squad. EC with aforementioned Knights. Land Raider Crusader on the left side with the Marshal and his 7-man Deathnator team on board.  Flanking him were the Plasma Archer team and the Lance Knight team. Dread in the Left corner tower for a good LasCannon vantage point.  2 Objectives on my side in the smaller buildings. Archer Teams hold both of these to start.  (Melta team's is Reroll 1s, and Plasma's is Skyfire)

Heretics deploy.  Bikes across from my Lance Knights, 2 Plague squads in the buildings across from those my Archers were in. Warpsmith attached to one of the ones on my left. Typhus and his mob of zombies set up right in the middle of his deployment zone.  Preds hide behind the building to avoid my Anti-tank on the first turn.  

Past experiences have proven Plague marines to be scary as all hell with their plasma spam, I so decide to run straight at them to hope to survive enough and get close enough for an assault on turn 2.  Plasma Cannon almost wipes a Plague squad with a lucky roll. (Yay!)  LRC advances only 6" to fire the Assault Cannon at full BS on those Bikes--

For anyone who hasn't faces Nurgle Bikers before... They're basically Monstrous Creatures.  T6, FnP... FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Scored maybe 2 kills.  Everything else fluffed. Literally.

Opponent rolls his Preds out and nukes my Vindicator. Nurgle Sorcerer (Yes, I know, bare with me here...) casts some silly spell on my EC's Knight squad that gave them Shrouded (lol).  Plasma spam targeting that unit kills a whopping 1 guy as a result.  RZ towards to Plagues holding his sole objective, huzzah! On the other side of the table, shooting from those bikes flattens 5/10 of the Lance Knight's squad... They roll an 11 for Leadership and fall back... Great.

Land raider moves a bit closer to the Plagues in the building on my left side, and out comes the Marshal and his Death squad. Overwatch kills a Hammernator and wounds the Marshal once, but no biggy because they have the Warpsmith's Plagues in combat.  Lance Knights regroup and get close to the Archers in the smaller building. All other shooting attacks fluff (AGAIN). EC and his boys charge into the Plagues and challenges the Nurgle Champion.  My Predator misses with the LasCannons but scores a kill with the Snapshot Autocannon on one of the enemy Preds (the hell...?).  No Challenges are won or lost and the odd Marine dies in the following Assault phase.

Now this is where things get stupid...

We just noticed neither of us rolled for Warlord traits... Lol... Oops.  Oh well, we just agree that neither Warlord has a trait and carry on as normal.  Sorcerer and Zombie mob charge into the Marshal's assault, and use some Nova spell that ends up killing 1 Terminator and a bunch of Zombies.  His remaining Pred kills my Pred. His Bikes assault my Plasma Archers.

These 3 assaults persist for 2-3 more game turns. My Knights with the Lances and the Dreadnaught even join the assault with the Nurgle Bikes, and his remaining Plagues not locked in assault force my Melta Archers to roll Righteous Zeal... Rolled an 11, fell back 6 inches off of the objective. On the next turn? Yeah, rolled 11 AGAIN. fell back only 3 inches this time. (Really close to the table edge)

Eventually, my Marshal dies to the Warpsmith... buuut he turned into a Spawn and lost all of his gear, so it ended up being pretty funny.  That same assault had only 2 terminators left when my opponent blurted out: "F$#%" 

"What?"
"THAT'S NOT A SORCERER. IT'S F$#%ING TYPHUS"

Ha. Haha... He'd been using the wrong character profile for about 4 game turns and neither of us noticed... That was pretty awesome. That Man-reaper weapon would've cleaned my Terminator out many turns ago but instead he was down to 1 Plague marine and a small handful of Zombies as a result of this mistake. 

Around turn 5, after many assault phases of fluffing rolls and idiotically lucky FnP rolls, The EC finally kills the Nurgle Champion and the remaining 3 Knights (including the PFist) come out victorious.  I now have his objective!

However that remaining Plague squad has made it to my side and holds my objective, and my other objective is contested by those Emperor-be-damned T6 bikes.  Speaking of which, the Archers finally perish and only my Dread  and 4 of the Lance Knight team remain... The Dread is the only thing that can even hurt these bikes, seeing as the Knights needed 6+ to wound, and the Bikes had FnP. 

Around Turn 6, I kill the final biker with my Dread and the Knights remain to nab the objective.  At this point my opponent said "You know what? That Biker Champion had power sword..."  He had not used this and I had scored a great many lucky armour saves with my Archers and Knights (which is what caused that assault to last so long).

My Archers who were falling back regroup just in time and make it back to the objective to contest it from those marauding Plague Marines.  Typhus, his remaining 5~ Zombies, two individual Plague marines (one being the lucky survivor from the Plasma Cannon on turn one) and the remaining Pred all lock onto the EC and his Knights.  Excellent cover saves leave my EC and the PFist as the sole survivors but Typhus comes storming in.  The EC tries his damnedest, but in the end is slain by Typhus, and the remaining Knight is killed by the two plagues. But my EC got the last laugh...

...Typhus also turned into a Spawn.

The Land Raider had spent all of its turns chiseling away at the Zombies and at the end brought the spawn that was once Typhus down to one wound by the end of the game, and the Dreadnaught scored lucky hits with his Lascannon and Stormbolter to eliminate the Warpsmith-turned-spawn. 

Game ended after Turn 7.  Opponent had Linebreaker, First Blood, Slay the Warlord, and an Objective, whereas I only had 1 objective and the last point was still contested between the last of my Archers and his Plague team.

Templars: 3
Chaos: 6

And so ends my spree, brothers... My first loss of 6th Edition and it was riddled with mistakes and bad rolls. Granted the mistakes were mostly afflicting my opponent, but I think he averaged around 75% successful FnP rolls...

... and those Bikes... ugh...

idea......Power lance on BIKES!

Until GW improves them I say Power Lances on nothing. 

+1 str and AP3 on the charge doesn't make up for AP4 in every consecutive round of combat. 

A Power Sword is at least AP3 every turn, and that's the next weakest power weapon, outside of MEQ vs MEQ, then it's only slightly better than the next best all rounder. 

A Power Maul is AP4, but gives +2 strength every round of combat, and has Concussive. 

A Power Axe is AP2, which cannot be negated by a regular armour save, and while Unwieldy, confers +1 strength every single turn, making it the best choice of Power Weapon. 

There is no benefit to using a Power Lance at the moment. GW really need to buff them, and Power Swords, to make them as good as the other weapons. 

Regardless of the outcome, it seemed like it was a lot of fun for both sides!

For your next game, try to push your LRC as far out as you can (move 12" and flat out 6") to drop your death star where its needed early. Moving your LRC just 6" a turn early on just to use its guns allows your opponent to avoid/prepare against your death star inside.

Regardless of the outcome, it seemed like it was a lot of fun for both sides!

For your next game, try to push your LRC as far out as you can (move 12" and flat out 6") to drop your death star where its needed early. Moving your LRC just 6" a turn early on just to use its guns allows your opponent to avoid/prepare against your death star inside.

It was a lot of fun. Only thing that sort of 'rustled my feathers', as it were, was the terrible rolls on my part and the god-awfully lucky FnP rolls of my buddy. Oh well..

And I wanted to use the guns in the LRC to thin the herd of everything moving up passed it and towards my Archer Crusaders. Not to mention I had the Deathstar at its target by Turn 2 I believe, so this time it wasn't a big deal. Normally I agree with you, though. Flat Out on the first turn tongue.png

Another idea... How do you feel about using DPs? I usually bring 1-2 of them in games.

I have one not built at home. I've considered it, but the snapping of heavy weapons + lack of assaulting on the first turn sort of turn me off. Granted I totally understand the benefit of just landing wherever on the table.

How those bikers got FNP? Mark of nurgle gives only +1 toughness, and FNP is a slaanesh banner. Unless it's some psychic power, I don't really know about those.

Hmm. Maybe they didn't? I don't know, it felt like EVERYTHING had FnP in that list, but maybe the bikes didn't. It wasn't like I could wound them with the Crusaders since I needed 6s to wound...

A Power Axe is AP2, which cannot be negated by a regular armour save, and while Unwieldy, confers +1 strength every single turn, making it the best choice of Power Weapon. 

Isn't it +2?

Isn't it +2?

nope +1

Archived