Army List Composition Discussion

Blank05

Alright guys, Blank here.

I run a Deathwing-centric list that focuses on the in-your-face aspect of our army. Ideally getting first turn to DS in my opponents face and do as much damage as possible. This leads me to the topic at hand:

As a general rule of thumb, when I'm making a list I like to make sure that AT MINIMUM I have one troops choice per 500 pts. After that I fill out my list necessities(AA/HS) and fun units(DWK/Rifledreads/IntChap).

This makes it difficult to find points for units at times, as a lightly loaded DW squad cost around 240 pts.

So here are my questions. Do you guys think that, in a DW army, the terminators are resilient enough to allow for fewer troops choices, despite the low body count? Or does the low body count automatically warrant a higher squad count?

Also, how do you guys set up your lists? What goes through your mind when creating them?

Blank

The problem with low model count armies, is that as your model count goes down, so does your chance of minimizing randomness in armor saves through numbers. So no, I don't think terminators are resilient enough to have any less than 4 squads in armies >1500pts.

As far as things that go through my mind when making a list, I'll just copy a list I made in the army list section:

When making a balanced tournament list, you really need to ask yourself several questions

-How many heldrakes can this list withstand before my scoring/denial is crippled? If the answer is less than 2, you need to try again.

-Can this list stop a daemon flying circus?

-Can this list prevent cronair from dropping warriors on objectives turn 5 to score/contest them?

-Are more than one land raiders going to be a problem?

-Can this list get through AV11/12 walls when going against a mech list?

-Does this list have the ability to deal with 100+ scoring bodies from IG/Orks as well (at the very least a single 50-man infantry platoon blob). (Thanks to RayJ for adding this one)

-After taking all of that into account, can I still sufficiently score objectives?

All that being said, if the army you're going for is a rock list to crush some scissors (Like march10k's mech DW list), then that list doesn't really apply.

Archived