Redeeming the Burning Chariot

IMO the best use of the box is to build 1 Herald on Disc, 2 Screamers and use the Exalted Flamer for conversions or as an actual Flamer. Buy a regular Screamer box if you can't remove the flames from the Screamer tails in the Chariot box because a regular Screamer box has 5 tails in it. Viola, you saved a head of money and have a unique looking Disc Herald.

Hmm but can a single chariot last enough to make some serious damage? I always wondered that. Sure multiples are better but I find the Soul Grinder in a better synergy with the Chaos Space Marines.

Speaking of Burning Chariot, has anyone of you tried the Exalted Flamer with the new White Dwarf rules. He looks like a nice unit to summon and does the job of the Chariot for 50 points. Sure it is not mobile as the Burning Chariot but it is still the same weapon profile, only slower. 

I find myself favoring chariots over soul grinders for csm. Grinders are just too slow for the rush list i play, if i were to take a heavy option from daemons it would be a chariot, probably just to make me feel like i actually have a helldrake in my list as i have removed it. Also the chariot synergizes due to being fast and it is also a unit that many underestimate.

Pfft, allies. Who has time for that nonsense?

Three Burning Chariots is good; one is not, for the same reasons that one tank is bad: no target saturation! Likewise, they aren't needed in CSM armies because they already have the ranged firepower covered. They're golden in pure Daemon armies because of the very lack of it.

The Exalted Flamer on foot is great for defensive units that are not moving. Think of them as short-ranged Devastators and they'll do wonders.

My csm army has 0 firepower, apart from 2 tl-bolters and cultists pistols :D. So I do feel a chariot could be nice depending on missions in a tournie. But realistically I'm not sure if I can switch anything out for a chariot. Currently running CS+Daemons

Lord with fisticlaws 2+ 4++ on bike

Sorc ML3 with spell haemonculous on bike

2*10 cultists

2*5 MoN Spawn

3* Maulers

1* Tz herald ML3 exalted reward and disc

1*Tz herald ML2 exalted reward and disc

2*11 horrors

1*8 Screamers

I feel the list has enough threats to justify a single chariot, but only in some situations. No idea what I would switch out. But the chariot feels good in theory, especially due to my lack of fire power...

Alright, so they are good for supporting aggressive armies. Say, however, I have a slower army mainly based on psychic shenanigans OR I have an army based on deep striking. For DS, Chariots are nice because they can really get up close but such an army needs a solid anchor unit due to the risk of being tabled, a role very well performed by Nurgle Grinders. A psychic army definitely needs some dakka support, but I use 1 HS slot for a DPoT and 2 HS slots for Nurgle Grinders. They usually eat good fire and provide me very solid backfield units. How would a Chariot fit in there and why would it be better and Grinders in any of the 2 setups mentioned above?

Obviously that problem does not exist when multiple Combined Army Detachments are allowed (double your HS slots) but if there is only 1 allowed the choice really comes down to Grinders vs Chariots.

I have no experience in such pitiable environments where anything is so foolishly limited, so unfortunately that much is beyond me.

I'd suggest dropping the daemon prince, because compared to the CSM version it's terrible. msn-wink.gif

I'm not saying burning chariots are good for every daemon army (I did just fine without them all of 6th), but they'll generally be very good choices now. My friend uses pure Tzeentch with a bucket of horrors (slow and psychic as requested). He also uses two chariots for additional fire support/target priority. They are the only reliable ranged anti-tank and anti-MEq in the book. D3 lascannon shots or a flamestorm cannon a turn, on a fast platform. That works well with a slow army because it can catch what the walkers can't. It has more "hit points" as well (5 over the soul grinder's 4), when you take into account that you can share the pain between models. The lower armor is rarely a problem when you get cover saves much easier than a larger model (or just be completely out of sight). The chariot can hide better, move better, and shoot better. The soul grinder is the anvil. The burning chariot is the scalpel. Each has their place.

Cor, I'm glad to see the inital problem of the chariot has been worked out! I just picked up the Daemons book to ally with my Thousand Sons.

4 exalted flamers in a unit of horrors, anyone? 8 BS4 (short range) lascannons on average for 200pts...

4 exalted flamers in a unit of horrors, anyone? 8 BS4 (short range) lascannons on average for 200pts...

I don't think that will really work. Those ''lascannons'' are really short ranged and heavy which means you can't move and fire.

The point is to have the chariot in order to give those ''lascannons'' mobility

I could understand perhaps one exalted flamer on foot with horrors to scare some deep strikers at your back lines but no more.

• 2 weeks later...

Raeven; you are right. Chariots in the new edition makes the rider resentless. So you can move and shoot with Heavy weapons. But you couldn´t in the last edition and that´s why no one used a burning chariot then. But now it´s a small gem :)

Can the Exalted Flamer Herald take a burning Chariot? if so, then you could add two as allies to a CSM force.

I don't think the TheDevourer's army would benefit from a single Chariot over a slaanesh Grinder with baleful torrent, running along with the maulerfiends.

2 Burning chariots on the other hand, that could help a bit, cracking tanks so the assualty bits can get in there...

Boom. Exalted flamer as a HQ in a unit of obliterators. This grants the flamer SnP, allowing it to move and fire with heavy weapons. Could be a nice unit moving upfield. 

Also d3+3 lascannons at short range...Could also work with mutilators, correct, to allow them to break transports before assault.

It can't join Obliterators or Mutilators as they aren't "Daemons of Tzeentch". The Daemonic Alignment special rule only allows a Herald to join a unit of the same Daemonic Alignment, which are units with the same "Daemon of..." special rule as the Herald.

It doesnt say "models with the Daemon of Tzeentch rule may only join units with the Daemon of Tzeentch rule".

Meh. I guess GW did make a distinction between 'Daemon of Tzeentch' and 'Model that is a daemon, with the mark of Tzeentch' in the CSM codex.

Flamer could join the oblits, if they also had DAEMOIC INSTABILITY. Thats the rule that prevents models with daemonic instability from joining units containing models without. 

demons of tzeentch can join and be joined by demons who have daemonic instability, and no other deamonic alignment (furies?)... but the limit is daemonic instability.

shame to hear he can't take a chariot, allies are limited to one per allied detachment of demons. 

Archived