Tactics, tactica and Lasguns

Sviar

I actually have a question on how you fellow guards beat Noobs?I have always allied in a SM chapter so I can have some Terminators to meet them, it's the only way I know how. But I was wondering how to beat them with a guard only list, without having to abadon objectives or other strategially good places to make sure they don't roam free.

Noobs?

Did you mean Nobs?

If you meant Nobs then I've only ever faced the mega-armour clad variety with my marines, and intend to address them with my Medusa and other heavy cannons when I face them with my IG.

I'm sure a massed lasgun volley would manage to put some wounds on Nobs, but I think it's a matter of target prioritising. Massed lasguns are better against boyz.

Another answer would be melta (for Instant Death) or plasma vets.

I think that's a safe assumption, I'd be worried if anyone needed help defeating a new player :P

Guard defeat "deathstar" units the same way as always - pound them into dust with superior fire power. Artillery and tanks obviously make great ways of doing this, but there's also the old tactic of slowing them down with infantry squads. They can charge my 60pt squad and no doubt easily defeat them but then of course they're sitting in front of your big guns for your next turn :)

Shoot them. In the face. A lot.

First Rank Fire is kind of the staple order with Imperial Guard (or mine at least), if you're not issuing this order each turn, it had best be because one of the others is just more appropriate at that moment.

Nobs are difficult to deal with, even in 'Eavy Armour, because they're almost always accompanied by a Dok too. Like previous posts have said, try and hit them with Strength 8 and above weapons for Instant Death but failing that, give them volleys of lasfire. The humble Lasgun isn't that humble at all.

As a writer at GW once rightly said: "A Lasgun is a joke, 100 Lasguns isn't"

Also, Commissars in Infantry Squads, and Plasma Pistols on Sergeants isn't a terrible idea, just risky. All characters get Precision Shot in 6th, so you get an increased chance of killing the Dok, making the rest of the unit instantly more vulnerable to small arms fire.

There is only one answer to all the nasty units in 40k as a Guardsman, firepower. Unleash a bucketload of lasgun fire upon a deathstar unit and see it die. The more saves you force upon them the more they will hate you and the more they will loose to you. So brashly advance toward the deathstar unit with your blob of guardsmen, order FRFSRF and reroll with your vox casters if your underlings are deaf and than gather the dice from three boards around and open fire...mathematics is on your side, use it and abuse it. Failing that there is always the ol'reliable, the bayonet charge. I have seen daemon princes and hive tyrants die to it. 

So to repeat which is the first lesson that they teach you in Guardsman School? If you have not solved a problem with firepower it means that you have not used it enough...simple as that...that and that you get only one pair of boots, if you want new ones wait for someone of your company to die to enemy fire and hope that they have a similar number. 

as many have said - firepower, firepower, firepower. HWT and SWS were made to deal with nobs  (and any other xenos gribblies that are lurking out there), and good old FRFSRF is always a good idea. OW can also be the bane of many a model's existence, but don't forget to back them up with something decent if it goes south. i usually keep a unit of RR to hand just in case of any such examples come my way. 

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend also getting the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer, black trench coat with matching peaked cap, and an airsoft pistol converted to look like a laspistol.  As you roll to hit and wound loudly read the Litany of the Lasgun.  Should your shooting not be above average, draw your airsoft pistol from the holster and execute the offending squad's character.  The next squad to fire will only roll 6's to hit and wound.

My brother plays Orks and for his Nobs and usually I throw my tanks at them or a melta-vet squad. I might throw a sacrifice squad in their way if they're getting close to something I need to protect. Sometimes my boys get lucky and take off a wound.

I've always dealt with Nobs by first popping their transport with a Vanquisher ( Armourbane ) and then a Manticore salvo to finish them off. I've also had success with Bane Wolves as a finisher.

• 2 weeks later...

Been building and playing IG since Adepticon; my best friend runs Orks, and loves his Nob squad with Gazkhul.  

Everyone is right so far--Lasguns rock and Firs rank/Second rank is the stuff!  I actually like to capitalize on it.  First, I don't take heavy or special weapons to max out how many las shots I get--special weapons go in Platoon command squads, and Heavy weapon squads are way better in my opinion than the odd missile launcher here or there.  I like to put 30-40 guys in one big Mob Squad behind the Aegis Defense Line; then I buy a single vox caster and a comissar, and the whole squad gets the benefits of both for only 40 points.

Recently I've started putting krak grenades and power weapons in the Mob Squad--the boys took down a Daemon Prince this weekend!  Try a couple Sargents with power mauls.  They'll wound on 3+ and ignore 'Evy Armor, and won't strike after Nobs.  With a couple of those in a big unit, you might be able to tarpit them and wear the unit down over time.  

Thank you all.

I'll think I'm going to order more recruits and a Manticore. I had a difficult time deciding whether I should choose a CCS or a Commissar,but I liked the idea with 30-40 guards with one vox a a Commissar. So I'll order a Commissar tomorrow cool.png

Playing around with the new Daemons codex lately does make me feel it necessary to throw out one very common overlooked issue; lasguns cannot hurt a Great Unclean One.  Ever.  The reason is that T7 cannot be wounded by S3 or less.  By the same token, T8 cannot be wounded by S4, and so on.  Nids with their access to Biomancy can turn their T6 monsters into T7 ones. Mephiston, Cassius, any other T6 unit in a codex with access to Biomancy can also get T7.  Great Unclean Ones also have the added joy of potentially reaching T9 from Biomancy and Epidemius, requiring you to throw S6 and above at it to even have a chance at wounding it (heck, battle cannons and meltaguns wound that on a 5+).  Thus it may behoove you to add more than just lasguns to your regular list. Not really a necessity with Orks, even tough the Grot Artillery is T7 v shooting, but something to watch for all the same.

Thank you all.

I'll think I'm going to order more recruits and a Manticore. I had a difficult time deciding whether I should choose a CCS or a Commissar,but I liked the idea with 30-40 guards with one vox a a Commissar. So I'll order a Commissar tomorrow cool.png

Just remember to laugh when the Commisar executes a Sergeant with a power weapon for cowardice :)

Playing around with the new Daemons codex lately does make me feel it necessary to throw out one very common overlooked issue; lasguns cannot hurt a Great Unclean One. Ever. The reason is that T7 cannot be wounded by S3 or less. By the same token, T8 cannot be wounded by S4, and so on. Nids with their access to Biomancy can turn their T6 monsters into T7 ones. Mephiston, Cassius, any other T6 unit in a codex with access to Biomancy can also get T7. Great Unclean Ones also have the added joy of potentially reaching T9 from Biomancy and Epidemius, requiring you to throw S6 and above at it to even have a chance at wounding it (heck, battle cannons and meltaguns wound that on a 5+). Thus it may behoove you to add more than just lasguns to your regular list. Not really a necessity with Orks, even tough the Grot Artillery is T7 v shooting, but something to watch for all the same.

You are not wrong! I tried a couple 1850 lists that relied primarily on lasguns and first rank/second rank and it suuuucked.

That's a big part of why I run krak grenades in the big squad. It may seem counter-intuitive, but assaulting with 40 guardsmen, all of whom have a strength 6 AP 4 attack, is surprisingly good. My mob of boys were fighting a Slaanesh Daemon Prince with Iron Arm this weekend, and I could barely touch it with shooting; she charged into the big mob, and my boys took her out in one turn (some of that was unlucky rolling on my buddies part, but still 9 wounds is nothing to sneeze at).

Honestly, a big mob of guys with krak grenades and power weapons on the sergeant (now led by a Commisar Lord with a Power Fist) is so good that I am seriously considering adding a Priest to the mix. With 3-5 flamers in my mob squad (depending on if I split it up at all) there's an ok shot that I'll stop charges every once in a while with over watch--and the idea of charging in and re-rolling all those to hits does appeal to me!

Archived