Appearance of Tactical Models and Army Customization

Guest TheoryCraft

Guest TheoryCraft

Good morning everyone,

So I have a bit of an odd request for feedback.  Long story short, I don't like the appearance of Tacticals - to me, they just look pretty "blah," especially when you are playing Speez Muhreen wars (i.e. SpaM v. SpaM armies).  I was wondering what kind of advice or feedback people have to spruce up the appearance of Dark Angels tacticals.  I'm thinking more than just painting schemes - I'm referring to adding/changing customized bits, using different models, etc.

For me personally, I started painting Veteran squads since I use them in my SoD gunline list and came to realize that I am completely in love with their appearance.  To me, the long flowing robes with recessed power armor is the quintessential look for Dark Angels.  The reason I bring this up is because I am considering using Veterans as my Tactical Squads, and then perhaps performing additional customization to make my Veterans.  Has anyone ever heard of this strategy?  Do you think there would be any problem in tournaments running a full army of robed models as Tacticals?

Purchase a few of the Dark Angels upgrade sprues - they've got all kinds of cool things on them to spruce up your RAF marines - censers, spruced up backpacks, and a lot more that will give your units some nice variety.

If I had the disposable cash and skill I would have a Mark IV power armor army.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/mkIVass2.jpg

AND/OR add different veteran markings on each of them. Like Worthy Painting did.

It won't let me post a youtube link, so you'll have to look for them yourselves, but trust me.. they look awesome!

To answer your question, no, there is no reason you cannot do a completely robed army. Robes do not denote rank or veteran status (fluff-wise at least). A simple way to then denote Vets would be to put the DA banner toppers and such on their back packs, or Gold trim on their shoulder pads, or a specific moulded shouldrr pad (I use the unwinged sword from the upgrade pack.

Cheers

Jono

Guest TheoryCraft

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I did in fact buy an upgrade sprue from GW originally, which is how I got started on my robe kick. $19.75 for 5 Veterans and a whole assortment of bits and pieces is a steal in my book. (Just don't tell GW how good of a deal it is or they will jack the price of the sprues!) I will probably just buy a bunch more upgrade sprues and go from there thanks.gif

Hello!

I once tried to make an all robed army, but I found one problem. There are really only 3 (maybe 4) variations of the robes and I found it made my marines look even more like clones than without. At first it looked kinda cool, than it was like "blah, they all look the same, but with robes now".

Just a word of advice :)

Only my HQ and Vets have robes now

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I did in fact buy an upgrade sprue from GW originally, which is how I got started on my robe kick. $19.75 for 5 Veterans and a whole assortment of bits and pieces is a steal in my book. (Just don't tell GW how good of a deal it is or they will jack the price of the sprues!) I will probably just buy a bunch more upgrade sprues and go from there thanks.gif

They used to be 20 dollars for ten of them!

no reason at all not to use a full robed army no... If you do have to justify it for 'Veterans only' then think about this: in a way you every power armor wearing space marine IS a Veteran. They have already seen more battles than most Imperial Guard as teenagers in the Scout company and have proven their worth to wear the Power Armor. A 'Veteran' Space Marine is just even more hardcore/much older/more experienced.

They can be easily identified by the use of power weapons or other 'special' weapons (build some custom stuff), or even just the use of different marks of armor to show they have been given chapter artifacts as an honor. Easiest with for example beaky helmets/studded shoulder pads or if you can get them... the Mk4 armor's/helmets (there are tutorials on how to sculpt them out of mk7 helmets). Mk4 used to be/is the most technogically advanced power armor.

But as Grotsmasha says, there are only 3-4 different poses for the robed plastic marines which will make an entire army look kinda... boring. You can ofcourse learn to sculpt your own robes and/or tabards.

Hello!

I once tried to make an all robed army, but I found one problem. There are really only 3 (maybe 4) variations of the robes and I found it made my marines look even more like clones than without. At first it looked kinda cool, than it was like "blah, they all look the same, but with robes now".

Just a word of advice smile.png

Well, name a 40k not composed of clones.

Hello!

Just a word of advice smile.png

Well, name a 40k not composed of clones.

Very true point!

Well, helmet stripes based on rank (see Rogue Trader era), shoulder pad symbols based on what weapon they carry (also RT-era), Campaign Markings, etc. can add quite a bit to each individual model.

Downside, that needs a bit more painting skills to do nicely.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/Onisuzume/Dark%20Angels/CrimsonFists01c.jpg

Other than that, I guess that mixing the various power armour marks from FW would be an option.

Wow, that is an old (but classic) pic! Also notice how these days things are not as detailed as they were long ago ;-)

To create some interest and difference between my tacticals I've mixed a few armour types through the squads, armed some with bolters, some holding bolt pistols and throwing grenades in the opposite hand too, and a few knife blades added as bayonets. Maybe also will have grenades/pouches added to belts etc.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with an all robed force.

Wow, that is an old (but classic) pic! Also notice how these days things are not as detailed as they were long ago ;-)

I beg to differ. The Insignium Astartes has a lot of different badge variants for Space Marines. Granted this is more aimed towards codex adherent chapters, but its still got a lot of great information.

Hmm sorry, I should of explained myself better, I meant in relation to codexes these days, while the DA codex is extremely impressive, it doesnt have the detail that the old pic from the book above does, like the weapon symbols and helmet markings.

Anyway, that Insignum Astartes is one beautiful looking book. Do you know how many pages it has?

Hmm sorry, I should of explained myself better, I meant in relation to codexes these days, while the DA codex is extremely impressive, it doesnt have the detail that the old pic from the book above does, like the weapon symbols and helmet markings.

Anyway, that Insignum Astartes is one beautiful looking book. Do you know how many pages it has?

Ah well then you're right on that point smile.png

And it has 63 pages.

Archived