Salamander Standard Bearer...Penny for your thoughts

Evening, first timer here. Close to end game with a Sallies Standard Bearer I've been painting, not sure how to finish the standard off. Torn between using the brass decal from FW, water based transfers or just leaving it alone. Does anybody have any thoughts? Cheers in advance.

If I remember rightly from all those years ago when I was a greenskin ( before I saw the light and was converted to the forces of the emperor) I had a codex Armageddon and there were some very good ideas of salamander standards in that ancient tome.

Personally I'd think up some heraldry for ur army commander and use that, draw it on first with a watercolour pencil or something to get it right and then overpaint it.

My standard for my Templars is a shield with a hammer and sword crossed over it so it doesn't have to be anything fancy

Wow that banner is pretty s@*t hot.

I have flames at the bottom of the banner, not sure if it would be too much having further flames in the main body.

However cheers for the input. Your ideas for free handing some heraldry over the top of the scales sound/look really good. Just need to practice my free handing to do them justice.

Cheers Guys!

• 3 months later...

Update on the banner. As I have little in the way any drawing skill I bottled any attempt to draw some iconography on the banner. So I opted for the easier(!) / more expensive option of obtaining some brass decals from FW. I had an image of firery boulders from Mt Deathfire plummeting earthwards on the Drake scale back ground on the banner. These are the results, I'm not overly convinced, but I'm stuck with it.

Thought are whole heartedly welcome

thanks for looking!

Nice one! another idea would be a pair of dragon eyes glaring, the scales would work as its face maybe?

Yoink!..... Gonna use that one... if I make a command squad for my sallies that is. No special weapons in the squad is kinda making me not want to do that though.

Archived