Dominion(Rhino) vs. Dominion (Immolator)

I'm looking to expand my Sisters of Battle army with some Dominion squads and i'm not sure which would be the better layout.

10 girl Dominion squad in a Rhino or a 5 girl squad in an Immolator.

Arming each with the max Meltaguns they can take the key points looks like this:

Rhino -- 210pts

10 Sisters (4 with Metlas)

Immolator -- 170pts(5)

5 Sisters (2 with Metlas)

Immolator with Multi-Metla

Since the Dominion Sqaud is mostly an Alpha stirking unit. I guess the biggest question is, can the rhino get close enough on turn one to make full use of the Meltaguns. If not, maybe having the Immolator's Multi-Metla for that little extra range is Inessential. The twin-linked doesn't matter to much, with the sisters act of faith.

If they  can get in range on turn one, assuming the act of faith works. The rhino sqaud is shooting 4 twin-linked Metla shots out and the Immolator Sqaud would be shooting 3 shots out (2 sisters 1 Immolator).

So for 40 more points the Rhino gets 5 more bodies and 1 more metla shot.

vs

Immolator having only 3 metla shots and only 5 bodies. But 1 Metla shot can go an extra 12'' and could technically split fire at a different target than that of the sisters target.

Rhino - Depoly 12''+6''(scout)+6''(first turn move)+6''(Sisters moving out of vehicle) + 12''(firing range) = 42'' Reach

Immolator - Depoly 12''+6''(scout)+6''(first turn move) + 24''(firing range) = 48'' Reach

What are you guys doing for Dominion Sqauds? What's been working?

First, scout is now a 12" redeployment.  So you would deploy 12" from your table edge and then redeploy another 12" forward.  6" move, 6" disembark, 12" range melta ... you can hit a model standing at the other table edge.  I normally give the dominion superior a combi-melta as well to add one more initial hit. 

They also perform very well as outflankers.  Always outflank when facing drop pod armies (or any other reserve heavy list) or if you do not get the first turn.

I have taken both the rhino and immolator version and they both perform unmercifully but I tend more towards the Immolator version.  I would say it is for the tactical reason of being able to fire at a seperate target with the immolator but the truth is I'm a little short on bolter sisters and I'm too cheap to buy more. :lol:

So if scouts are by themselves they can only scout 6'' ahead but because they are in a vehicle they can scout 12''?

This would give them a reach of 48''. That makes me lean more towards the Rhino squad.

Yes.  Either vehicle gets 12".  Thanks for catching that.  I get way to complacient about assuming Dominions will be scouting in a vehicle and it does make a difference if they are not.

[ETA]

And be sure to note that it is a redeployment and not a normal move.  You can place it on the table behind a building or other terrain and then "redeploy" 12 inches straight through the terrain piece.  No rolling for difficult terrain like last edition either.  Just redeploy in the woods if you want.  You will have to roll when you leave the woods of course but not during the start of the game.

well, my inital 1k points using a small dominion squad with an immolator.  The main reason, is I like the mobile platform for heavy guns that is the immolator.  Also that fact that it gives me a small scouting unit with a transport.   I can see the potential of a rhino scouting forward with a full squad, but the immolator does have its extra benefits.  As stated, it can move away from the squad after its been deployed, it can shoot at a seperate target, it is double the range of normal meltaguns, so it can also shoot at some other target that is a little further away. It is also one of the few ways I can get immolators into my list, as normal battle sisters can't really benefit from it since the squad size is to large.   Also, being able to scout a multimelta that far ahead is a serious threat to your opponent and relieves some of the heat off my exorcist as well. 

I can find uses for both, and in larger games I am thinking of getting another squad of dominions in their, just can't decide if I want a full squad in a rhino, or a second small squad in another immolator, but with heavy flamers/flamers.   Mostly because well, If I am taking 10 sisters in a rhino, I could easily just field is as a troop squad for cheaper and less special weapons, but it does field a troop choice instead so scoring unit.  

The Rhino has the advantage of fire points - if you need to, you can deploy 12" on, Scout it 12" forward, then drive it another 12" forward and fire 2 meltaguns out the top hatch... which is 6" more range than the Multi-melta's half-range, and an extra shot.

Right.

Models firing out of a vehicle that rnoved at combat speed count as having moved that turn. Models firing out of a vehicle that moved at cruising speed can only fire snap shots that turn. They cannot fire if the vehicle moves flat out or uses smoke launchers that turn.

Personally I like the Immolator because it lets me take down 2 targets for the price of one. I add a combi-melta to the Sister superior so I still get 3 twin-linked chances to pop a tank, and then the Immolator can fire backup if needed or attempt to nuke another.

That said I always outflank my doms. This is mainly because I've never, EVER won first turn when playing sisters :p

I pretty much ALWAYS outflank with them.  I don't mind them being off table for a turn or two.  With them outflanking, they pop on right next to the enemy and can get high-value targets such as manicore

Archived