The Maze of the Minotaurs

If my Minotaur Force turns out half as awesome as yours i'll be happy... but I don't think i'll ever be truly content. You've ruined it for me, now I have to have my guys look like that, and I don't think they ever will... dangit. Well, I suppose you'll have to post a tutorial with the new line of paints for me to painstakingly follow once I start amassing my Hammer Strike Force... all terminators all the time.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Purge the Weak!

Raven

Don't wanna Hijack the thread or something, forgive me almighty Steve, but i think this WIP image (done with a phone and bad lights) could help you and some people with the new paints range. This is Brass Scorpion from the new range, on a brown primer (i used a Burnt Siena, similar to Dark flesh or Scroched brown, much darker than yours), and then 2 coats of Agrax Earthshade.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2r3i3nk.jpg

Pretty much spot on Thantor, nice job.

Was going to work on a squad of Tartaros Terminators next mysefl, but then I opened them up and sent them back to FW. Really bad casts. Hoping replacements will be here soon.

I must say these are some crackin' Minotaurs !

After a long hiatus, I'm looking to get back painting some bronze as well, now I just have to try and aim for something along these lines of awesomeness...dang!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the silence of late, I've been consumed by heresy era Death Guard and the itch that only comes when dealing with Word Bearers, but more on them at another time.

Managed to get a replacement set of Tartaros Terminators back from FW so I'll be working in those next. Watch this space.........

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/1-%20Minotaurs/e9e4e78c4a02091f77bd82a0a3dabe51_zps097d73f2.jpg

Hmmm, bare resin not doing it for anyone?

Just as well I have some paint too.....

Too much work to fix the replacement casts sent by FW but I persevered with getting them assembled. At this point they have had the initial basecoat/wash/drybrush, now it's onto the sepia wash before adding the red plates.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/1-%20Minotaurs/be03eb69a2e94797e3b1173e4be5f30b_zpsfb438622.jpg

very nice looking bronze/gold. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of colours and methodology used.

going to do anything interesting with the heads? perhaps a bare head or two?

Cheers chap, appreciate you popping into the thread. I've followed your own work for a while now, constantly in awe of what you put out.  

As for the bronze,

Cheers guys. Seeing as the bronze seems to be the biggest request, here goes.

All are the older GW range paints, i've not worked it out with the new ones yet.

• Firstly, I use a brown spray undercoat. Any kind of mid-brown acrylic spray will do, I use a Humbrol Hobby Acrylic spray. 
  • Basecoat Brazen Brass
  • Heavy wash of Devlan Mud
  • Overbrush with Brazen Brass. I use a small flat brush for this, only applying paint to the upper areas. That way you get decent coverage on the plates and the shadowed areas left dark. 
  • Next is a very light drybrush of Boltgun Metal on the upper edges.
  • Lastly, the armour gets a wash of Seraphim Sepia.

Im going to stick with all helmets in this squad, mainly due to the loss of patience when I was cleaning them up.

Bit more done to the Tartaros - working the red now before moving onto decals and fine details. Also realised they don't have any purity seals on so may need to remedy that.

The red on the pads is a bit of a departure in techniques for me as it's my first use of a wet palette. One of the biggest things that annoys me about hot weather is having paint drying up faster than normal so figured it'd be worth investing in something. I've seen a few tutorials for making one but in the end got lazy and picked up the Privateer Press P3 one. Seems to do the job so far so I can't complain. The test for me will be how I manage the blends on the shoulder pads.

Excuse the terrible photo, i'll get a decent shot when they are finished.

• 1 month later...

Archived