Pre-Heresy/Horus Heresy Dark Angels Speciality Units

Brother Dark Angels,

In the Horus Heresy section its been clear that each legion will receive specialty units over time. We see this with Justaerin Terminators, Deathshroud Terminators etc and the inevitable units to come in the second book. Now in the case of the 1st Legion we know that during the Horus Heresy there was indeed an Inner Circle (these were members of The Order on Caliban) and of course the Ravenwing. Other than that we won't see Darkshrouds as they happen after the Caliban incident. So i ask the question, what is unique to the 1st Legion during the Heresy (other than Ravenwing, we'll get to the later)?

Its my belief that we will see either an Elite slot unit of Inner Circle legionaries due to their prevalence pre-Caliban being re-united into the Imperium. I expect winged helms, artificer armor and be a precursor to the Deathwing. We also have use of the Ravenwing during the Heresy. These were the premier units prior to unification and I could see them getting unique heresy-era bikes or an upgrade pack for them.

Now if Forge World decides to play out the "Siege of Caliban" as I will call it, we will certainly see a Luther model, rules for Astelan and possibly some twisted Dark Angels units. We do have the battles between the Nightlords and the brief blurb in Prince of Crows (correct me if I'm wrong) describing the duel between Konrad Cruze and The Lion.

So what do you all see as possible units for the Horus Heresy for out beloved 1st Legion?

Although the Order of the Raven's Wing did exist pre-heresy, it wasn't a pre-heresy DA formation. I'm not opposed to FW changing this, just saying is all.

As for what I'd like to see? A new DA only special/heavy weapon squad to represent their status as the 1st.

Cheers,

Jono

The Ironwing! Predator squadrons as troops!

Seriously though, I expect some kind of veteran/retinue unit of Inner Circle warriors. Possibly some elite jetbikes.

I guess some of it might have to do with what degree Black Library fiction influences Alan Bligh & co.

Meaning, 'Betrayal' features a strategic disposition of a Space Marine Legion in the "late era" of the Great Crusade that is more its own beast than a nod to the Legions as described by the Black Library thus far.  That having been said it is presented as "notional", and it does make allowances for Legion-specific titles, terms, offices, etc.  For the most part, though, I imagine most readers went through those two pages and probably saw it as something new.  Even if you replaced the titles with more familiar ones, there were echelons and positions that didn't really match with what we saw in the novels or that - in some cases - didn't match up at all.

No worries, this isn't meant to be a critique on a book I enjoyed.

But on the other hand we do have Deathshroud Terminators, which I believe were first introduced in James Swallow's excellent 'Flight of the Eisenstein'.  As such, it might not be a stretch to see concepts introduced by Mitchel Scanlon, Mike Lee, or Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

On that note, it seems we had our own variant of the Chaplain (-Redemptor), and had a higher-echelon "champion" (Paladin) as well.  Maybe those would make a showing.  Whether they've made a show in the novels so far or not, I would be surprised if we didn't see Dark Angels-specific Terminators (since they seem to have been part of their own, elite company even in the old fluff) or some sort of unit that acts as a predecessor to the Ravenwing.

keep in mind, though I'm sure it will be forgotten, the Dark Angels were also the Emperor's personal legion/bodyguard during the great crusade (as the first) before they located the Lion on Caliban.

Other than that there are plenty of hooks that can be explored, all the 'ancient' tech we supposedly have, the high number of Terminator suits we own, things they can explain in the horus heresy...

In the old fluff WD 120-130ish there was a description of the Dark Angels legion. It stated that it was organized into regiments with approximatelly 1000 marines in 10 companies... (well we know that). Back then they said each regiment had the special companies Death-, Raven- and Ironwings. As we got some love from GW for Death and Raven - maybe Forgeworld finds the Ironwing interesting enough to revive it.

Archived