So, Eldar...

Koremu

I think I just made up my mind to get some Tau allies: so they can throw some Marker lights (that ignore all saves) on those Wave Serpents cans and crack them open with their Big fellow and his gun...

Keep in mind marker lights only remove the cover save for other Tau Empire units

The real shame with this is that the old "block the door" trick that was so awesome with land speeders vs eldar doesn't work anymore- no matter how devastated the vehicle is- guys inside still jump out even if you block the doorwhistlingW.gif

Bring more blockers... Assault marines could spread out for a large footprint, CC attacks ignore the cover saves and can glance the thing to death even if you don't pen. Jump marines should always be run in combat squads, so one squad could make a run move if needed in order to cover the entire vehicle while the other squad assaults.

Trying to straight outshoot or outfight Eldar with marines is futile. Gotta think outside the box, the game is about more than weapon stats.

Granted that's true, but it still gets its speed save, so you are still looking at a significant amount of firepower to destroy it.

CCing something that fast is no easy gig, either, and it's not exactly a target I want to waste a top CC unit on.

Granted that's true, but it still gets its speed save, so you are still looking at a significant amount of firepower to destroy it.

CCing something that fast is no easy gig, either, and it's not exactly a target I want to waste a top CC unit on.

It's true, I think you could justify some suicidal deepstriking support if you can get a clear shot behind it.

If not that, I think most biker armies could get into combat with them or at least threaten them enough that they aren't doing much shooting.

For Chaos, I'm planning on some Spawn and Maulerfiends to munch on them.

I just think its too much of an uphill battle relying only on ranged firepower, the way you would with other medium armor targets.

The problem with Assault squads (and a major reason why it will not work more the once) is that they are still just T4 guys with 3+.

And a kot of guns kill them dead.

Plus encircling  the whole Serpant is impossible . Targeting the rear AV isn't. But it still gets it's 4+ cover and the troops inside still live to tell the tale- and flame some marines while telling it.

I guess I'm nostalgic of 4th ed. Back then-you just needed to block the exit (land speeders where perfect for it) and the squad inside was doomed once their transport went Kaboom 

The only way to reliably and quickly take out the transport is going to be hydras- gets through the save, has a good number of shots, and a decent chance to get the scoring hits you need.

'Course the problem is... thats allies.

I think I just made up my mind to get some Tau allies: so they can throw some Marker lights (that ignore all saves) on those Wave Serpents cans and crack them open with their Big fellow and his gun...

Keep in mind marker lights only remove the cover save for other Tau Empire units
Of course, but the Tau bring a lot of guns, and then my Grey Knights / Blood Angels Can handle the CC... Dont know if it works, but I'll give it a try!

The only way to reliably and quickly take out the transport is going to be hydras- gets through the save, has a good number of shots, and a decent chance to get the scoring hits you need.

The only weapon to give us an upper hand (as in you shoot and stuff gets destroyed ) is a shooting model of high rate of fire that ignores cover.

Lucky, Hydra IS one of those models.

In case Dark Angels- IG are Battle Brothers

The only weapon to give us an upper hand (as in you shoot and stuff gets destroyed ) is a shooting model of high rate of fire that ignores cover.

Lucky, Hydra IS one of those models.

In case Dark Angels- IG are Battle Brothers

I cant think of a single other way to do this thats cost effective.... from a points angle.

The main issue is downgrading penns to glances on a 2+.   The fact that they made it into a stand alone rule instead of a USR means no counter measure exists - so far.

I realize they need to sell models - but at least give the opposition a fighting chance

Wave serpants, Valkyras and Croassants are really underpriced for what they do.  Transport troops, have speed, solid armour (or are fliers) and firepower....  next thing you know for extra 20pts/model they make you coffee and watch over your kids while you have a game of 40k.

Rant mode off

So for the price of a Typhoon Land speeder I can get a Hydra...and they are in squadrons. Sweet.  Some converting will be in order.  After I finish my Ravenwing and some commissions.

Anyway the Wave Serpants shiled thingie can also shoot d6 S 7 shots that IGNORE cover with a 60" range.  And they're twin linked if the scatter laser hits...and it most likely will.

Land speeders, bikes etc- forget about Jink...

I think people should really take a look at Hydras again. When you consider that they're a solid counter against so many of the most powerful elements in the game at the moment (Necron Flyers, FMCs, Heldrakes, Skimmers) it may very well be worth it to invest in them, especially if your army has enough firepower on the ground that you won't miss the Hydras targeting only air.

Is the Hyperios 40k approved?

I'm really hopeful that the Hyperios just gets put into the main codex this autumn.

I think people should really take a look at Hydras again. When you consider that they're a solid counter against so many of the most powerful elements in the game at the moment (Necron Flyers, FMCs, Heldrakes, Skimmers) it may very well be worth it to invest in them, especially if your army has enough firepower on the ground that you won't miss the Hydras targeting only air.

Taking them in a meaningful quantity means going with IG for your primary and giving up two of your HS slots.   

Taking them as allies also means you have to forego the almost-too-cheap Griffon squadron or taking a Russ, both of which are pretty handy.

... or manticore, or medusa, or heavy weapon teams, or basilisk.  There's a lot of goodies in those slots.

Taking them in a meaningful quantity means going with IG for your primary and giving up two of your HS slots.   

No you're right, it is a trade off.

That said, IG are a pretty solid ally for any marine force. Solid and cheap HQ choices, Vendettas, big blob of lascannon or some BS4 special weapons in Chimera and all the tasty heavy options.

I played my Deathwing against my friend's Eldar tonight and he had two Farseers and a Warlock. They had seven psychic powers each turn combined. The new Eldar codex is bad enough, and I understand that Eldar should be the premier psychic army in the game, but one or two powers is a significant force multiplier. I think seven powers per turn is excessive. Does anyone else share my feeling about this? Any thoughts?

I think its silly to be upset about Eldar having alot of psychic powers to throw about. This is nothing new, or even unusual. If anything their psychic might has been nerfed.

IMHO the most effective way of running eldar Psychics is Spiritseers, probably via the Iyanden Suppliment. The Runes of Battle are nice and strong. Alot of folks seem to like the twin-link-everything approach though.

I think you are being silly. My Farseers could take 3 psychic powers before... I would know what Psychic powers I would have. My Warlocks all had 1 power... I knew what powers they would have and I didn't have to pass a psychic test. Many of the powers are better (if somewhat circumstantial), but you can't rely on them.... Oh and Ld8 isn't great if you have to take a lot of leadership tests.

Anyone else think I am being silly or does anyone else think that seven psychic powers per turn creates an imbalance of power that hurts the overall integrity of the game?

Lets phrase this another way- is it the 13 psychic powers per turn that keep the GK codex going or is it the powerful wargear and sheer amount of dakka per person?

Archived