Powering bionics

zulf

Any clue as to how the more power hungry augmentations are powered?

I've not seen any real fluff on the mater.

In all other science fiction including 40k it seems the more general implants can get their power from their hosts body by one mechanism or another.

But the larger implants like mechadendrites and built in weapons need some additional power. Even full limb replacements would likely need a few volts.

Is the common sentiment that this is just glossed over because power supply is just build in. But would they be fusion based, plug in, solar?

While the admech may never be far from a wall socket. A space marine stuck behind enemy lines for a year is not going to be happy when his leg stops working when he's already looking for a way to keep his armor powered.

Several black library novels reference internal power supplies, implying that the AdMech are battery powered. In Titanicus, Enginseer Koder has solar collectors to recharge his internal battery, but they aren't enough to save him after he burns his batteries out. In Mechanicum it's implied that the AdMech recharge using a Tesla-style power field native to the forge.

Dark Heresy offers the Potentia Coil as a mysterious self-replenishing internal power supply. From the name, we can probably assume it stores energy from the movement of the host body.

• 3 weeks later...

The Potentia Coil is an implant that does collect energy from the host's body not only from their movement, but also from the electricity produced from their cardiovascular activity. This is just a theory and not the "End All Annswer", but I see it as a sound theory. It does say that when you do things like the "Feedback Screech" or "Maglev Grace", it fatigues the person doing this.

Well my question mainly has to do with space marines and guard who use them they can be on deployment far from support. i don't see a human body even a super human powering these things do to energy demand. 

SM's don't always have their power packs and they can get destroyed. i don't know how the AdMec or the Iron Hands could say flesh is week if they cant keep their replacements running

maybe its just SciFi magic lol 

Low-end bionics designed for grunt combat (used by average joe Guard and Marines for point, grab, click and not much more) are probably maintained by small battery-like power packs or even bio-electricity from the host's nervous system. If no batteries are available most Imperial tech is durable enough that a las pack or similar could be jury rigged up to the system.

For more advanced systems, say those given to Captains and other officers, I'd simply say more advanced versions of the above - in built power sources that slowly recharge, usually connected to armour (in the cases of Techmarines, full Potenia Coils) and possibly ancient, more efficient bio-electrical adapters etc.

The machine might be weak, but flesh is still weaker. A Mars pattern bionic arm might be able to go six weeks on a single power pack, but a standard pattern flesh arm can't go six weeks on a single ration pack ;)

Archived