Leman Russ question

I have a question for people that field Leman Russes. First, I'm somewhat confused by the lumbering behemoth rule. Does that meant that a vanilla Leman Russ can fire it's turret and sponson/hull weapons even though the cannon is Ordnance? Because that was part of my reasoning in adding an Eradicator to my army list.

There is also one more question. I ordered a couple of the Leman Russ sets, which should be arriving soon. Had I realised sooner how amazing the Executioner is, I would have ordered the set with that turret option (I did not realize the the demolisher set came with that option as well.) But as it is I believe I am stuck with choosing between a regular LR, an Exterminator, an Eradicator, or a Vanquisher. My first instinct is that I like a lot of boom, and as such I'm considering keeping the Eradicator in my list.

So, for an allied regiment to a CSM army, what do you guys think? should I keep the eradicator or not?

I have a question for people that field Leman Russes. First, I'm somewhat confused by the lumbering behemoth rule. Does that meant that a vanilla Leman Russ can fire it's turret and sponson/hull weapons even though the cannon is Ordnance? Because that was part of my reasoning in adding an Eradicator to my army list.

You need to read the:

Warhammer 40k FAQ, Errata and Amendments

for 6th edition.

Lumbering Behemoth now simply means the Leman Russ is a Heavy Vehicle, per page 83 of the BRB.

You need to read the:

Warhammer 40k FAQ, Errata and Amendments

for 6th edition.

Lumbering Behemoth now simply means the Leman Russ is a Heavy Vehicle, per page 83 of the BRB.

Ok, that makes deciding a lot easier.

It's probably also worth noting that Ordnance weapons no longer prevent a vehicle from firing any additional weapons.

So the answer to your question is "The Leman Russ can move 6" and fire everything"

It's probably also worth noting that Ordnance weapons no longer prevent a vehicle from firing any additional weapons.

So the answer to your question is "The Leman Russ can move 6" and fire everything"

While this is true, be aware:

Firing Ordnance will cause all other weapons to be fired as Snap Shots. And that is not prevented by Heavy.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up and old thread.. but  i had a question  about LRBTs  firing their battle cannon and all weapons...    I realize that a tank that fires ordinance is counting all other weapons as firing at BS1...   but my issue is how i read it. 

State on page 71 the "moving and shooting"  Is where the rule pops up and says that vehicles firing ordinance can only snap shot eveything else.  

A Errata made the Leman Russ considered a heavy vehicle and the rule states that a vehicle counting as heavy is considered to have not moved even if it did reguarding shooting. Thus all weapons are able to fire at full BS.   This rule would affect a Vindicator, what the hell is that 6 legged ... oh defiler..  or say any other vehicles not counted as heavy.. Im not sure a battlewagon is or is not... 

My arguement is that they placed that rule either in the wrong section of the book "moving and shooting" or it was meant to be there and reguarding vehicles that have moved.  I'm confused but everyone that I played with down at my hobby shop in FL goes along with me that heavy vehicles can fire all weapons including ordinance at full BS.

The Ordnance rule takes precedence - or rather the Heavy Vehicle rule doesn't overrule it - so if you're throwing that pie plate about the rest of your weaponry takes an accuracy hit.

It's a bit of an annoyance as I've always liked the classic Russ with the HBs and hull LC but it's not a big deal as it only impacts 2 Russ variants.

To me it seems that it is simply not worth taking any weapon upgrades on the lrbt is this an accurate assumption? I like the sounds of the lrbt best because it seems the most versital for the least points, but that is just from theorizing as I have not yet started my guard collection and have yet to have a proxy game.

the extra weapons have a chance of killing something, and even if they only drop 2 marines in a game, they still make their points back. and they also give you some redundancy from damage. better to have a random choice between a cannon and 3 heavy bolters than a cannon and 1 heavy bolter on a weapon destroyed result. and even if you do lose the cannon, you still have 3 heavy bolters to charge around the place with

my store has always played it that the ordnance rule comes first, so if you fire that, everything else is on snap shots, and that was how it was played when i went to warhammer world the other week as well

Now they are less accurate I would expect many to elect not to sponsons and upgrade the hull weaponry for the ordnance Russes. It really depends on what you need and want from your Russes, considering it's only the standard MBT Russ and the Demolisher it's not a big deal as I mentioned. My Demolishers run with only a hull HF anyway.

Is the poor BS worth it for what you might kill? Maybe for the HBs. They be useful for weapon destroyed results too. So if I were to take them it'd be on the standard Russ and 3 HBs to pump the shells out. Doesn't help my "classic" LC and HB Russes though but I've plenty of other tanks to use tongue.png

Also, this only applies to the "ordinance" variants.  Punisher, Vanquisher, Exterminator, Executioner, and Eradicator aren't, so they can mov e 6, fire their main guns and still fire sponsons and hull at full BS. 

the vanquisher is my go to tank hunter. vanquisher, multi meltas and lascannon with either pask or the krieg command vehicle will kill any tanks you care to name. heavy vehicle made it brutal as all the firepower goes off at once

I was just thinking about the turrets that have ordinance weapons.

Is there a rule to state in which order you have to fire the turrets, sponsons and hull mounted?

I.E Can you move 6", shoot the sponsons and hull mounted at full BS, then shoot the BC last.

That seems to be a little off to me, but I’m at work and don’t have access to books to check.

i can't remember where, but my understanding is that if you fire the sponsoons first at full bs, then you can't fire the turret at all. no book to back this up at the moment though

Is there a rule to state in which order you have to fire the turrets, sponsons and hull mounted?

I.E Can you move 6", shoot the sponsons and hull mounted at full BS, then shoot the BC last.

That seems to be a little off to me, but I’m at work and don’t have access to books to check.

All of a units shooting occurs simultaneously.  There is no "first this shoots, and then that shoots" (BRB, pg.13).

All of a units shooting occurs simultaneously.  There is no "first this shoots, and then that shoots" (BRB, pg.13).

Thanks for the clarity.

My group of friends normally roll out groups of weapons individulally instead of different coulerd dice together. Stupid bad habits.

There is nothing wrong with rolling all of the different weapons separately, just count up the total wounds before any kind of saves are rolled. I have three colors of dice now but that's a recent thing. I'm not going to roll a fist full of green dice to represent meltaguns and lasguns. I'll say that those 4s are the meltas and my enemies will say the 1s are. So, I roll separately.

I don't use different coloured dice, too much hassle and viewed with suspicion in these parts (the cheat may die, but not his legacy...). It's not a big deal to roll shots/ballistic skills separately as long as you remember that they all take place simultaneously when sorting casualties out and such :)

Archived