got an idea want to know if the fluff (or fur) works

MrPrometheus

hi there.

i recently started my space wolves force and am currently converting my way through the various models for the army

anyway i found it hard to decide on a great company to chose from when it came to painting iconography on shoulders.

njal is my hq and it is never mentioned which great company he hails to (if any) so i'm pretty much open ended at this point, the idea i came up with would be to give each marine in my force his own individual iconography, (think house badges from game of thrones kinda deal) 

would this notion of having a band of warriors who yes fight as part of the chapter as a great fighting force but show their own personal heraldry in battle rather than any great company work? dose the fluff support it? or would i have to go down the route of saying they march to the 13th stone?

i really fancy this idea as iv already given each of the men names so figure they kinda deserve their own heraldry as well.

hell if i get motivated enough i may even begin writing back-story and character bio's for them, make this into a saga worthy of the sons of russ!

Although there is no fluff to confirm your idea, there is also none (iirc) to contradict it. If you went for a Lost Company, say from the Fang for an extended time, I could see this develop.

In summary, Go for it!!

Cheers,

Jono

I view the fluff as a guide not a rule. Many gamers I know have wolves with iconography of their own design and they all look great. The annulus shown in the fluff is just a snap shot in time. As Lords come and go the symbols change to their preference. Make your wolves yours brother. I think house badges would be awesome and hope you post some pics.

Rune Priest belong to the company of the great wolf Logan Grimnar. They along with the other priest (Iron, Wolf), and Dreadnoughts are given to the various great companies as support/mentors.. at least that's what I know since the second edition codex.

ALL of the Priests of the Space Wolves are assigned to the Great Wolf's Great Company, Logan Grimnar.  They are detached and assigned to another Great Company when they deploy and when that Great Company returns to the Fang, the Priests are then re-attached to Logan's Great Company.  They wear the iconography of the Wolf that Stalks the Stars while on Fenris, but as a matter of respect they wear the iconography of whichever Great Company they are attached to when they deploy.  *edit* as mentioned by the estemed Maverik, the same for ALL of the Chapter Dreadnaughts.

Individual marines are allowed to wear any array of totemic embelishments to their armor.  The Codex shows the general Pack markings for shoulder pauldons but variations are allowed.  There are also the lower leg portions of their armor that could also be painted individually (left leg only *whatever markings* on one squad, right leg only on another for example).  The Space Wolves are unlike the rest of the Astartes in respect to organization and markings.  There is no strict adherence to "arrows" or "roman numerals" and such.....part of what the rest of the Imperium refers to as our "feral" nature.  We relish the distinction as we are NOT like the rest of the Astates in such matters.  Shoulder pauldron borders, lower leg armor, forearms, exhaust vents on their backpacks....there are a number of available options to display the variety you wish.  However, there should be one common theme throughout so that they can all be identified as being from the same Great Company rather than a mixed hodg-podge rabble of gits all showing up for a mosh-pit on the battlefield.  Something distinctive and common in them all that identify them as belonging to a single Great Company.  In general, the Great Company iconography is worn on the left pauldron and their individual pack markings on the right side, the exception being those in TDA that wear the Crux Termanus on the left and their Great Company markings on the right.

thank ou guys for the support, and clarification as regards priests and dreads.

would it work then if i put a badge of some design on the left pouldron then and on the right, in place of a squad marking I put the personal iconography?

as far as actual great company motif goes im still gonna have to work on something. im thinking perhaps  something along the lines of a storm wolf concept.... but i don't know what image may convey that notion

thank ou guys for the support, and clarification as regards priests and dreads.

would it work then if i put a badge of some design on the left pouldron then and on the right, in place of a squad marking I put the personal iconography?

as far as actual great company motif goes im still gonna have to work on something. im thinking perhaps  something along the lines of a storm wolf concept.... but i don't know what image may convey that notion

Again, in general, the Company markings on the left, squad or whatever your flavor on the right.

Archived