Plasma Bikers - decent idea?

Montuhotep

A little thought experiment for people today - I'm pondering on adding some bikers into my potential World Eaters army.

Now, I'll say upfront that these guys will not be marked primarily to keep the points down a little but also because I intend to use them for distraction/harassment purposes rather than just straight steaming in. That being said I plan on having the plasguns attached to the bike and not the rider so I can still use boltpistol/CCW if the opportunity arises.

I've picked plasguns over anything else because of the extra range they offer and the fact that mobile plasma just sounds nasty. I know the more traditional special weapons for bikers are meltaguns, so this is basically a simple pair of questions:

Is a 5-man unit (champ, 2 plasguns, 2 meatshields) a decent idea or is this stupid as Hell?

Would you bother giving the Aspiring Champion of this unit a power weapon and if so which one?

Also, if you have any experiences/tips to pass on as how to use them or a better formation/weaponry  I'd be more than happy to hear.

While I have never used bikers, I have fought against them in severl guises now (Dark Eldar jetbikes, ravenwing knights, standard maring bikers).   What I can tell you is that T5 with 5+ jink is nice, the speed is excellent, but they fold just as fast as fast as any tactical squad when you get them stuck in.   1 wound each just doesnt keep them alive long enough, so they have very little staying power.   If you keep them cheap, and use them carefully they are deadly but once they start taking casualties their power drops dramatically.   I can say that when I see bikers on the other side of the table I get ready to get rushed and just volume them down, they dont really scare me much unless they can distract me from something else going on that more urgently needs my attention (like in the game against the ravenwing knights, they held me off for a turn and change and allowed 10 terminators to deep strike and seize the relic which I never managed to get back from them).

Hope that helps!

Put it this way, most DA players will say that the single best unit in the new codex is the Black Knights, which are armed with.....you guessed it....plasma! Bikers are cool, plasma bikers are cooler! The other option is to go down the melta route......3-bike squad with 2 meltaguns and meltabombs is only 95 points :)

Put it this way, most DA players will say that the single best unit in the new codex is the Black Knights, which are armed with.....you guessed it....plasma! Bikers are cool, plasma bikers are cooler! The other option is to go down the melta route......3-bike squad with 2 meltaguns and meltabombs is only 95 points :)

Add a combimelta to the sarge and a MM attack bike and enemy tanks will love you long time

Put it this way, most DA players will say that the single best unit in the new codex is the Black Knights, which are armed with.....you guessed it....plasma! Bikers are cool, plasma bikers are cooler! The other option is to go down the melta route......3-bike squad with 2 meltaguns and meltabombs is only 95 points smile.png

Add a combimelta to the sarge and a MM attack bike and enemy tanks will love you long time

Unfortunately, Chaos Marines gave back all of their attack bikes when they turned traitor, so they can't use them. But you could go up to 4 bikes, with 2 meltaguns, combi-melta and meltabombs for 125 points......your 4th bike is your ablative wound, to ensure that the melta gets to its target. Not quite as points efficient as Ravenwing melta-spam, but pretty close. smile.png

Archived