Help! Shoulder Pads for Sternguard

TheHarrower

Hey all, I'm working on a Kill Team of 7 Sternguard for a local tournament and it's also my first ETL vow. I'm converting my own Sternguard and I'm a bit confused about the shoulder pads. I bought a bunch of bitz and I have studded shoulder pads, crux shoulder pads, blood angel wings, and the parchment pieces. What am I supposed to use and what goes where? I looked at http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Blood_Angels and that just confused me more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Also, if I want to show that one of my dudes served in the Deathwatch, do I just paint the left arm silver? Thanks!

Well the studden shoulder pads are traditionally found on the right side of the marine. Chapter symbols for the marines tends to be on the left side, so Id suggest having a blank shoulder there and a fun one on the right.

And yes, painting the left arm silver is about all it takes.

Well the studden shoulder pads are traditionally found on the right side of the marine. Chapter symbols for the marines tends to be on the left side, so Id suggest having a blank shoulder there and a fun one on the right.

Now that's what I thought, but why on all of the official Sternguard miniatures is it on the left? Take a look here. Everything is on the left, even the crux. Even the Terminators have the crux on the left arm. See here. Are veterans different for some reason and he goes on the other side?

The studded shoulder pad traditionally went on the left. It dates back to the Heresy-era when the Imperium had to use molecular bonding studs to strengthen the layers of ceramite in order to strengthen the power armour for protection against boltgun shells (which the Traitor Marines, of course, were using).

The left shoulder pad took the most fire, as right-handed Marines advanced with their left shoulder facing the enemy, it often absorbed the most fire.

^^ This.

The studded pad always went on the left, as only one pad could be reinforced, so they pick the one that receives the most fire.

On power armour, Crux goes on the right shoulder pad replacing the first company iconography (also a skull), because the chapter badge is on the left, although this may vary according to what you want your marines to look like.

Deathwatch pad replaces the standard left pad, and the left arm goes silver, you can then have the chapter badge on the right pad, or the company badge, according to what you think looks best - The DW retain the chapter badge on the right to maintain some chapter identity, but when the marine goes back to the chapter, this is no longer needed.

^^ This.

The studded pad always went on the left, as only one pad could be reinforced, so they pick the one that receives the most fire.

On power armour, Crux goes on the right shoulder pad replacing the first company iconography (also a skull), because the chapter badge is on the left, although this may vary according to what you want your marines to look like.

Deathwatch pad replaces the standard left pad, and the left arm goes silver, you can then have the chapter badge on the right pad, or the company badge, according to what you think looks best - The DW retain the chapter badge on the right to maintain some chapter identity, but when the marine goes back to the chapter, this is no longer needed.

Thanks Xenith. Weird that the Sternguard miniatures have the crux on the left, but what you said makes more sense and I'll roll with that.

Is the Sanguinary Guard pad considered a chapter badge or is just an exception? I notice in the codex it's always on the left shoulder...

Weird that the Sternguard miniatures have the crux on the left, but what you said makes more sense and I'll roll with that.

Hmm, I double checked, and there is just one guy with the Crux on the left pad. That may be due to the crux providing greater protection etc?

The vanguard vets sport no cruxes at all. The crux itself can be anywhere, eg the Stern serge has the crux on his powerfist, I think one has one on a chain.

The SG pad is unique to that unit, and may be similar to the termie. crux, or may be a stylised chapter badge.

They're looking good, and very obviously veterans, apart from the lascannon, who looks a little plain compared to the rest! Maybe one of the totem things marines have on the lascannon power pack?

Good call. I added a winged blood drop to the lascannon and a hanging crux on the studded shoulder pad. I'll post more pics once I get them primed.

I made my 10 man sternguard from the death company box(x2).  I find they have great positioning of the legs for a dynamic look.  I used the captains torso for the vet sgt, with his banner, and one of the helmets, and a bolter with a shoulder strap.  I found of bunch of spare scopes and put them on the bolters as well, and decorated their armour with lots of purity seals, and used the least death company looking shoulder pads.  Lots of gold paint for gems etc.  I'm really happy with the way they turned out.  Especially with all the little ropes and decorations on the armour.

The amount of bits you get from a box is amazing.

I used some dark angels bodies with robes for mine, as well as loads of DC bits and stuff. Also, every guy has his unique freehanded shoulderpad to make them more individual. I might post some pictures later smile.png

You need to. I'd love to see them. I'm saving my Dark Angels robes for my Honour Guard, but I think that would look really cool.

Archived