Death Krops of Krieg help

Heiliger

I'm starting to look into collecting a Death Krops of Krieg army and I don't really know where to start in terms of a list to build toward. I want to be fluffy but effective on the table top. I want to use straight IG codex (no allies) and not the Forge World rules and operate around 1850-2000 points. I'm not looking for a fully fleshed out list but practical knowledge from IG players.

I want to follow an armored infantry concept. 3 vet squads in chimeras with 2 infantry platoons on foot following behind. Backed up with Leman Russ variants and hellhound variants. The problem I run into is what upgrade options to take vs take more models.

My two other forces are Blood Angels and Dark Eldar so the structure and play of IG is a pretty foreign concept to me. I know how things work in the terms of rules, the role of orders, etc. but I just don't know the synergy of the force. Should I grab another bare bones infanty squad, another Leamn Russ, another Hellhound, or trick that squad out with plasma/melta and heavy weapons? I just don't know a solid balance.

Thank you for your time and advice!

Since you are using kreig models, I would post up what you have/what models you intend to get (as if your using kreig then your either too rich, or the models are a major draw for you).

Given what you've said, an armoured push could be something along the lines of:

vets, 3 melta, demo, chrimera (optional carapace)

Vets, 3 plama, chrimera (optional carapace)

10 storm, 2 special (either melta or plasma), chrimera

PCS, 2 flamer

Squad, Nade

Squad, Flamer

Squad, Commisar, Nade

Squad, Commisar, Flamer

HWT 3 Autos

HWT 3 Autos

Russ,

Russ,

Bassi,

That brings you to (roughly 1450 points). You have a armoured spearhead, with 2 units of veterans, a unit of stormies and 2 russ's (possibly make them demolishers). This gives you serious hitting power. You then get two blobs of 20 following up, each with a commisar to keep them going. Your pcs can troubleshoot with a pair of flamers, or even 4. or you can give them a powerfist and commisar. depends what role you want them to take on.

2 hwt and the bassi provide long range artillery, although can swap bassie for manticore or other if you want, and possibly add a unit of 10 to sit back giving you some numbers there. An aegis could also be put here if you want.

Model wise, I figured you could use engineers as veterans, genediers as stormies, kriegsmen as guard, and fil in the rest however.

With 500 odd points still to assign, you need a hq, and depending on how fluffy you want to be, could have marbo (he's always good, but doesnt fit kreig too well). You could also think about using inducted militia (if you've read dead men walking you'll know what I mean) as locals who kreigsmen have rounded up, meaning consripts (using cheaper guard models).

hope this gives you some guidelines, its harder to be more specific without having more defined parameters to work from (as I assume you can just look up a competative guard list if thats what your after)

model wise the gorgon crew is one of the best buys you can do. those DKoK models are actually cheaper then GW imperial guards. if you then get the upgrade sprue multile times (or make a GS push mold for the weapons,arms etc) you could really make some affordable imperial guards.

Now krieg to me just screams big platoons!

I use a handful of infantry platoons with flamers and meltas with a couple of chimeras. A couple of combined squads with commissars. About 3 heavy weapons teams and a couple leman russes of various variants. Then I round out the list with sentinels or medusas if there are points left over.

I however don't play to be competitive. I enjoy the building/modeling/painting part of the hobby more. Usually i have to settle for the moral victory (usually the death of a specific unit or character)

I am going to be running grenadiers as veterans and kriegsmen as guardsmen. This is going to be my collectors/art project army. I want to get as many FW models as i can to keep the look of the army. I fell in love with miniatures when I was young by looking at historical dioramas and these guys just hit that mark perfectly. I'm fine with spending more per mini to create something I really want to display.

As far as the list idea goes what I'm looking at is

HQ: ?

2x Vets 3 melt chimera

1x Vets 3 plasma chimera

2x Platoon Commisar HWS mortar

2x Leman Russ variants

1-2x Ordinance batteries

That sits me around 1400. Do I need special weapons in the infantry squads or CCS to give them enough punch? I am torn between demolisher or battle tank for the russes.

When you say 2x platoon. do you mean 2 25man min platoons or 1 platoon with a pcs and 2 units of 10? Wither way I'd have a flamer at least, as it helps with overwatch, and with trying to thin ranks before your units swarm the enemy. If the unit is meant to push forwards, buy time for your vets, flamers (or meltas if you have points), if they are to push forwards, and mop up/sit on mid-field objectives, then I'd go grenade launchers (or plasmas if you have points). Either way, a special weapon gives the unit some oomph, which 10 lasguns sadly dont have.

Your pcs can either play sucide attack with 4 meltas, fire support with a couple of plasma guns, or run damage control with 4 flamers to toast anything that hits you lnes (usually after it spends its assult turn wiping out a squad). As long as they arnt being used as sucide squad then orders are very useful from this squad.

I'd go with 2 mortar squads, and 2 autocannon squads. This gives you utility, enough homefield camping troops, and a decent amount of ranged firepower considering none of your squads want to carry them.

If youring using 2 bassies and want your tanks to suport your advance, demolishers are the way to go, str 10 is great, as is increaed armour while the short range wont hinder you as your tanks can advance with inf support.

For a hq I'd go with a ccs, as the bs4 and extra orders are great. a siege line for them to hide behind, with a quad gun gives you aa (at bs4), I'd give them an autocannon, and 2 plasma guns, or jsut 4 plasma guns.

Hope that helps

Archived