Heresy Emperor's Children WIP

Vect

Yes, it would be useful to have both. Suction fed brushes aren't as good for small projects because they require a decent amount of paint in the pot in order for the suction to work, so you end up thinning much more paint than you need. I plan on picking up a gravity feed brush at some point, but it'll be a while before I conceivably need it.

No clue on compressors. At the end of the day it's a machine that pumps air out one end. A lot of the varying costs in them are due to noise reduction technology, ability to take additional fittings, extra tanks, and, probably the most significant, the differences in capacity. As long as you have the ability to set it to output the pressure you want (for example, I set mine to around 30 for basecoating work, since all I need for that is a lot of paint flying around, but I'd use something like 10 or lower for detail work where I need more control, and can afford to build up the colour very softly over half a dozen or a dozen passes).

On the matter of thinner, water is fine for GW stuff. Some people use other solutions, but I haven't had any issues with just water. Some paints like Tamiya, or the Vallejo super awesome metallics range require ethanol thinning. Thinning for an airbrush is basically the same as thinning for hand painting.

@Vect. By that I ment I wish I could get into airbrushing.

I did do some research a while back. From what I found Iwata are supposed to be good and they also do the NEO which is a beginners brush at a reasonable price but good quality. It's dual action, cup feed (top) which has a lid. Compressor wise, I noticed a lot of people recommending one with a storage tank and condenser. That tank so the motor isn't constantly running and condenser acts as a moisture trap so extra liquid isn't pushed through the gun.

Paint wise, maybe have a look at the Vallejo air range. All designed for airbrush use so no need to thin. They also do sets with a gun too.

Look at the Massive Voodoo site for the tutorials. They have a few on airbrushing.

Great log you have a very nice army.  On the topic of airbrushes I don't think you really need two airbrushes.  Perhaps it is just me but I find gravity fed is all I need and I have used it to spray ~20 models at a time with no issues and could have definitely done more if I had the patience for such things.  I agree most of the price in compressors has to due with reducing noise so if you live in an apartment etc... than this may be more of a concern for you.  As far as accessories go I would highly recommend getting a quick disconnect from the hose to the airbrush and from the compressor to the hose because this makes cleaning the gun and storing all your supplies away a lot easier and faster.

• 4 weeks later...

Very simple but very effective! Nice work brother!

Just a few questions:

1) do you use a black or a white undercoat?

2) how do you make your bases?

3) when you paint "4. Highlight Xereus Purple : Genestealer Purple (50:50)", is it an extreme highlight, or simply painted over xereus purple?

Thanks Vect..

Oh, very inspiring btw (just started a test model )

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys for all the inspiring comments, I am currently incredibly busy with no time what so ever (work, college, kid, wife... :P ). However the good news is I am getting near the completion of a EC Spartan! 

hey mate! loving your work!

question! would you mind sharing how you got your blueish-green eyes?

thanks!

Blue shade, and that was it on fulgrim. I like to keep it simple :)

Very simple but very effective! Nice work brother!
Just a few questions:

1) do you use a black or a white undercoat?
2) how do you make your bases?
3) when you paint "4. Highlight Xereus Purple : Genestealer Purple (50:50)", is it an extreme highlight, or simply painted over xereus purple?

Thanks Vect..

Oh, very inspiring btw (just started a test model )

Sorry for my late response

1) black 

2) RHINOX HIDE=>XV88=>TALLARN SAND  first is a basecoat and the latter are drybrushes 

3) It depends like on a backpack it will be an extreme highlight, however if its a thigh or arm I water it down and blend it in. 

Dont hasetate to ask more questions! 

Cheers ! 

• 1 month later...

Good evening

I am finally back in the hobby, had to take some family time off. So I started to paint the Spartan in december, however it took me until yesterday to finally finish it, I am quite happy with the results, as I have asked on the forum at first whether to use white hover after looking at through visions of heresy I figured I will keep to the purple, I have another spartan waiting unassembled so maybe I will try some other time.

My wife was kind enough to get me an airbrush and compressor for Xmas, and I have to say it is much easier to use than I have originally thought, possibly due to the fact that I have spent countless hours watching YouTube and reading about it :P

Anyways towards my last model which is a kit bash of lucius, I have always enjoyed his character and as I was missing the long hair needed for tarvitz (or no green stuff skill for that matter).

Anyways I hope you enjoy the pics!

Cheers

gallery_66530_8610_591127.jpg

gallery_66530_8610_734385.jpg

Thanks guys! How are your armies coming along? I am thinking about starting a small SOH or DG detachment to change things up a bit.

Thanks guys! How are your armies coming along? I am thinking about starting a small SOH or DG detachment to change things up a bit.

Go for DG so you can paint something really dirty and very different to EC.

Tremendous skill there Vect! The Spartan is truly epic - and that deep shade of purple? Perfection! :tu:

I really I want to see your take on the SoHs... C'mon you know you want to tackle the sea green! :D

Thank you guys for all the comments!

Tremendous skill there Vect! The Spartan is truly epic - and that deep shade of purple? Perfection! thumbsup.gif

I really I want to see your take on the SoHs... C'mon you know you want to tackle the sea green! biggrin.png

As far as SOH I was thinking of of an Abaddon leased speartip terminator elite force therefor in black, especially since Horus will be released. Hmmm... Decisions...

Merci, they look superb especially Grave wardens! However a SOH allied detachement would compliment the EC's better, at least I believe. How were the kakophoni to paint forte ?

Thank you guys for all the comments!

Tremendous skill there Vect! The Spartan is truly epic - and that deep shade of purple? Perfection! thumbsup.gif

I really I want to see your take on the SoHs... C'mon you know you want to tackle the sea green! biggrin.png

As far as SOH I was thinking of of an Abaddon leased speartip terminator elite force therefor in black, especially since Horus will be released. Hmmm... Decisions...

Merci, they look superb especially Grave wardens! However a SOH allied detachement would compliment the EC's better, at least I believe. How were the kakophoni to paint forte ?

They were a real treat to paint. Nice details and character. I very highly recommend them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived