CSMs & Land Raider

I'm sorry for necroing, but I didn't want to start a new thread while one existed already ^^

Compared to the Loyalist vehicle, I see the Chaos Land Raider best used as a breaching vehicle. While the POTMS for the Loyalists promotes a careful tactical advance by moving 6" and shooting both weapons, I can see the Chaos variant just storming 18" or 12" + smoke launchers straight towards where the passengers are supposed to be later on, then disgorge its contents without moving and shoot from there. I could also see it with both Dozer and Destroyer Blades.

Funnily enough, when taking both these options, we're getting a Land Raider for the same cost as the Loyalist variant, but that is the ultimate "assault" vehicle because now the Land Raider is the one doing the assaulting. And rather than have to choose between specialized roles, we have a Land Raider that can both take on tanks and on infantry. D6 S5 hits might not seem much, but after seeing the devastation that a deathwing launcher has wrought on many units including Terminators, I'm liking the S5 more and more biggrin.png In addition the dozer blades add +1S to the Ram attack of the Land Raider, so a S9 Ram is pretty decent indeed smile.png

Daemonic Posession could work, as long as the Landraider is a stationnary long range vehicle so that you get to fire all shots at full BS.

I do like Minigun's idea of using the Land Raider to deliver a regular unit of Chaos Marines, to spread the threats around. Using it as a massive distraction to transport a good but ultimately unremarkable unit might draw fire away from the units to what is easily one of the most surivable tanks in the game smile.png

Archived