Mixing armor

Grizwald23

I was wondering if back in 30k it was like 40k with mixing different Mk armor on a single marine. For example having MK 2 legs, MK 3 torso, and MK 4 head and backpack. Or since everything was newer and they kept making newr types back then they would wear peices from only the same MK.

My other question was did quads have a mix of different mark armor. For example 3 guys with MK 2, 2 guys with MK 3, and 5 with MK 4. Also who got the newer MK models when they came out I'm assuming it would of been the higher ranking officers.

Sorry if this has already been covered I tried to find a thread on it and I can't.

1st question: I would think so, if I recall the Sons of Horus fancied mixing armour marks (some kind of tribal tradition or something) and also if part of a marines armour breaks down/gets blown up they might repair it with either the same mark or something more advanced. But remember that MK III although its considered a separate mark is actually just an enhancement of the MK II defensive capabilities but at a cost (namely it tends to overheat faster and was a very noisy suit).

2nd question: Again I would think so. Imagine a 20 man tactical squad all in the MK II, some of the members die and the squads new members are younger adn therefore equipped with newer suits of armour, MK IV. But Im not sure if higher ranking officers would take them even if they could choose to. After all a marines power armour is genetically entuned to his body so a veteran from the reunification wars would probably trust is good old MK II armour rather than the newer technologies while other officers might consider it a good idea to take on the newer suits.

I don't think this is entirely the case. Take Horus Rising into consideration; they all had Mk 4 power armour, and that is referenced in the book itself

Yeah they had a lot of MK IV but thats only because they were the Warmasters legion and he got all the new stuff.

I know it was mention at some point that many marines liked the Iron Armour for the brutal appearance. Hence the reason for it being so widely used and accepted by many legions.

Examples of Mk IV have been seen in the Sons of Horus, Night Lords, Word Bearers and World Eaters. There are more I believe, although Dan Abnett made a point to portray the Ultramarines in Know No Fear in their "technically Mk V" Praetor armour.

As far as I know, it's always been a fact of fluff that the Traitors had more access to Mk IV than the Loyalists. Although lately, with the exception of the Raven Guard and the Ultramarines, the Loyalists seem to have quite a bit of it.

Mixed armor, I'd say yes. Especially during the Heresy. Before the Heresy, probably in the more extreme campaigns but not impossible.

Thanks for the info I mainly thinking toward the blood angels and Imperial fists legions since they are the main two I am leaning towards right now. I have to make up my mind soon to put in my order and I'm trying to figure out which armor variants and how many of each to order but the bulk deals are to good to pass up since I will save like 50 or 60 dollars buy ordering them that way. I am leaning toward the MK 3 one since it is my favorite looking mark next to the MK 5 but the Mk 5 don't come in the package deals. I am going to order another squad or two worth of armor but its just so hard to pick. For the jump pack troops I like the look of the MK 4 especially their jump packs. I just wish they had MK 3 assault marine armor since its meant for close combat with the extra protection. It's just so hard to decide what to get since I'm not a millionaire and can't buy everything I want lol. So My plan is get as many things in the package deals as I can to save money and get more bang for my buck the only problem with that is I don't get a lot of variety.

I think it's relevant to consider how armour marks are viewed "today" (40K) and during the old times (30K). Although Mk7 and Mk8 suits are probably better than, say Mk2, 3, 5 and 6 (Mk4 was supposedly the pinnacle), the rule of "Good Old Times" by which Space Marines sometimes play determines that, in the 41st Mil., older armour suits, even when not artificer, become relics and seem to gain in quality the older they get - with the due conservation rites applied, of course.

In the 30s, however, when technological advancement didn't make the Mechanicum oil their plate-pants, Power Armour, while tended with the same love and care, was seen from a more pragmatic point-of-view and the advantages of each Mark were recognized and taken into consideration by the Legions, who'd try to equip their Legionnaires with the best Mark as soon as possible. You see that in the race for the new suits in "Mechanicum" and the improvements of each Mark are patent, especially as far Mk4 is concerned. From there things went downhill a bit, but Mk8 seems to be very good, seeing as everybody's envious of the Minotaurs' supply.

Ultimately, like Mordent Hex said, it's up to each Marine, they're responsible for tending to their equipment in most Chapters, as it was with the Legions. The practice seems to be more commonplace in 40K, whereas back in 30K customization seemed to be more commonly applied to armour decoration, at least judging by artwork from 'Betrayal'. Truth be told, it's one of those things that doesn't seem set in stone, some depictions of modern Chapter show highly customized armour, others a sea of the same colour with only the armour trim providing some difference.

I would say blood angels mk2-4, Imperial Fists mk2 & 3. Not because of any fluff but because it would probably suit the style the the army better.

Isn't there a BL book that has Sigsimund going on a mission to Mars and bringing back a whole load of mk IV?

I use mainly mk IV as I prefer the look for my BA and IF units. I think it's down to personal preference and the time your army is set. By the time the main heresy is kicking off, I think anything upto mk V is fine (with mk VI for Raven Guard)

MK V isn't like your standard patterns of power armor.  All retrofits, jury rigs, and measures taken to keep the legions fighting were designated as mk V armor.  There is even a conversation about why the Corvus suits are mk VI in deliverance lost.  Some have even argued that mixing power armor from the legion days would make that particular suit mk V.

Though I am wondering what mk armor Praetor pattern would be.  Would it be a variant of Mk IV or would it also be rolled into MK V.  Because it was around before the heresy and not part of the jury rigging to keep power armor operational, I think it would be MK IV variant.  But that is just my opinion on the matter.

Deliverance Lost, Page 329

'With full production not yet begun on Mars, these are the only suits available. Our companion transport has another fifteen hundred of them, on top of the five hundred we are carrying. In the absence of reliable Legion supply lines, the Mechanicum has designated all non-standard or stop-gap designs as Mark V."

By virtue of being a full suit of an unofficial(or "non-standard") Mark built only by the Veridian Forge, the Praetor Armour would be classified as Mk V.

I hesitate calling anything that's a mix of armor Mk. V. Because you have some Mk. II Marines with Mk. III helms and Mk. IV vambraces doesn't make them a separate armor variant, it makes them a hodgepodge. It would be quite common too in long campaigns where Astartes are scavenging pieces from the field or the Artificer is using whatever he has on hand.

I hesitate calling anything that's a mix of armor Mk. V. Because you have some Mk. II Marines with Mk. III helms and Mk. IV vambraces doesn't make them a separate armor variant, it makes them a hodgepodge. It would be quite common too in long campaigns where Astartes are scavenging pieces from the field or the Artificer is using whatever he has on hand.

You have a point in that, but I have a few friends who are adamant that mixing prehersey armor = mk V.  Mainly based of the quote that Kol just cited.

If it's a hodgepodge, it's mk V. That's what the armour mark is, a catch-all for everything that's not pure I, II, III, IV or the newer VI. It is not a true armour mark with its own design. It is just something to slap on something that's not pure any other mark. If it's a variant, mk V. Stop-gap design, mk V. If you've got a Marine wearing mk II with a mk III helm and mk IV vambraces, you've got a Marine wearing Mk V, utilizing pieces from mk II, III and IV.

I think it's just a clerical thing. Instead of wasting time explaining what the armour is or made up of, they just slapped on its own mark. Anyone who sees it's mk V is going to immediately realize that it's not a conventional armour and, if necessary, needs further research for specifics.

Archived