Baals

I would say depends on rest of your list tho ...

But still flamebaal can be fun outflanked/scouted when going 1st, when your opponent has units u want to BBQ out of cover ...

Dakka preds on the other hand might be good investment when trying to go fo AV 13 wall (so 5th ed) that amazingly still works.

Personaly I use 2 dakka preds to hide my jumpers/Meph behind while my SR zoom ahead ...

~BT

3 baals, 1 vindi and 2 WW sounds like a fun mech core against eldar. The vindi is really there to act like the big threat and take early fire while the rest clean up. It is kinda overkill for eldar but will still draw a lot of fire.

a lot does depend on your list, as noted.  
That being said however, I find the flamer baals too easily killed in subsequent turns by charging.  They do force your opponent to play differently, which is never a bad thing. If you do rock a flamer baal, just rock the flamestorm.  But for the others, defs dont leave home without HBSS !

Id also consider 3x TLAC/HBSS - very, very scary amount of dakka.

funny im painting my 3 Baal preds now also

(i dont play with unpainted models, so i dont have any actual experience here)

does anyone see an advantage of using the flamestorm with H. Bolter sponsons?

not to rush forward to its death but to act as a deterent, so the enemy doesn't want to get close to you

it can still be effective at 36" range

now i dont know about using 3 flamestrorms but 1 of 3 sounds like a good idea to me

I've never had any luck with a Firebaal...opponent sees it as a major threat and goes for it before it can ever earn its points back. Asscan HB Baals are however very effective and I never leave them out in a competitive setting. They are excellent harassers and with 3, you will earn their points back slowly as major expensive units begin to drop. Keep on mind that they are support units. But they've won me many games over the years.

When I'm using single Baal it's Dakka version. When I field more than one I include one with Flamestorm and Hunter Killer Missle. Flamestorm has very limited range and if I'm outflanking it can shoot even if turns up on wrong side of the table :)

List i'm using is pretty small, just testing things out, its the 3 baals with whirlwind at the back and two stormravens with deathdread and furydread. mepheston and stand tac, daka death comp, snipers and mm assult squad with fist of power.

Flamebaal's threat range (i.e. Template) is pretty much equal to the threat range of most weapons that perform well against it (i.e. Melta).

Tactical wisdom says you shouldn't take them except against lists without melta if you want it to survive with any consistency.

Flamebaal's threat range (i.e. Template) is pretty much equal to the threat range of most weapons that perform well against it (i.e. Melta).

Tactical wisdom says you shouldn't take them except against lists without melta if you want it to survive with any consistency.

With that logic, I guess you advise against any form of Dreadnought?

He's got a point but that would be in an ideal world, half the skill of making a list is risk management and then where you deploy and what to put each unit up against.  my train of thought would be that all his fire dragons would be making a b line in a wave surp to my armor line so the outflanking flame baal will hopefully be way out of the way. 

Not every model in a list has a melta, and you know where those models are. But that's really irrelevant anyway since the baal is so easy to wreck in close combat.

One outflanking could work as a 'finisher', it's not going to take on strong units by itself.  

They also work as a great charge deterant. I have run a flame Baal proxy with 2 dakkas in a few games.

The first game I very aggressive with it and it died quickly. So I tried something new with it.

I kept it in my back field with a tac sqd on an objective. The fast movement allowed me to easily react to incoming threats to my lone back field objective. I uses it's movement to get the kills I wanted out of the squad (sgt. w/ mb) and used the tac squad to finish the job.

It is about synergy and not just offensive power. Every unit has a counter, except maybe the fragioso in a pod. Smart play will see it do some damage most of the time.

Like any model, if your opponents wants it dead it will die. This is not always a bad thing as it takes fire from your other tanks.

Also cities of death. It shines in these situations.

With that logic, I guess you advise against any form of Dreadnought?

Yes, SM Dreadnoughts in 6th Edition are way too fragile for close support IMO.  I only tend to take TLLC/ML dreadnoughts anymore, because they provide good mobile High S support, can shoot from above other armor or units and are easy to conceal.

Archived