Krikey's ETL WIP complete. (Yes, finally.)

Krikey

Vow repeated here for reference:

I, Krikey, answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete a Sword Brethren Terminator Assault Squad (5xTH, 4xLC, with Crusader seals) from Codex: Black Templars of total value 378 on or before August 15th. Success will bring eternal glory to the Black Templars and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of Shame until the year-end.

I've actually changed he vow from 5xTH, 4xLC to 6xTH, 3xLC, but hopefully that's acceptable. I'm also including an extra model for which I can't claim any points -- it's an apothecary servitor carrying the 'apothecary' terminator's storm shield. Can't claim any points for a TDA apothecary model, either. Why do I insist on making things difficult?..

Pre-vow shots:
gallery_60019_7476_1289.jpg

gallery_60019_7476_14070.jpg

At work on conversion of last 4 models:
gallery_60019_8676_1529510.jpg

Conversion and basing done; starting to paint:
gallery_60019_8676_1826064.jpg

Just blocking in colors at the moment -- not a very pretty sight so far:
gallery_60019_8676_1343604.jpg

I've just been informed I will likely be in Chicago for the next several days, so it will be a few before my next update. Bleargh.

~K

Wow, that's some setup you got going there!

The models look great too. I'm personally not a fan of using too many GK parts, but tastes differ right? thumbsup.gif

Wow, that's some setup you got going there!

The models look great too. I'm personally not a fan of using too many GK parts, but tastes differ right? :tu:

I've just never really liked the dogface termie helms and feel the GK helmets complement the more knightly-looking helms in our upgrade kit. Other than the helms, I may have used a couple more bits from the GK kits -- I know I used at least one more because I had a "Hey, wait a minute ..." instance last night and had to looked up the appearance of a psyk-out grenade. It seems one of my termies has one on his belt. I don't mind using bits for which there are no rules (e.g. small reliquaries, skulls, or miniature shields or the like) or bits for which I feel we *would* have rules if we had an up-to-date codex (e.g. apothecary TDA equipment), but I'm going to have to replace the psyk-out grenade with a regular skull or something.

I've a *lot* of bits and don't often know where they all came from; I'll buy minis for other armies (40K or even WFB) just for the bits. I should probably label them or something ...

~K

I've a *lot* of bits and don't often know where they all came from; I'll buy minis for other armies (40K or even WFB) just for the bits. I should probably label them or something ...

Pfaw, only rookies need to know what they are working with, why limit yourself to it's intended purpose. :)

Looking good brother! Onwards!

• 5 weeks later...

I posted some update pics a few days ago, but it looks as if they were lost. I don't know if anyone saw them before the crash or not, so here are the pics that were lost ...

Four of my TH/SS terminators are on the way to being finished. (The 'apothecary' doesn't count as such -- he's just a regular TH/SS -- the servitor bears his shield but has no point value or game effect. Maybe we'll get apothecaries in the new codex.)

gallery_60019_8676_1228801.jpg

Another view ...

gallery_60019_8676_1273830.jpg

More to follow (this evening or possibly tomorrow morning).

~K

Uploading the newer pics didn't take as long as I thought it might (never can tell with this horrid DSL, but I refuse to go with the only cable company that provides service to my neighborhood), so here they are. Several of them.

The 6 TH/SS terminators are near completion:

gallery_60019_8676_358411.jpg

Apothecary closeup:

gallery_60019_8676_225798.jpg

The apothecary's servitor, a washed-out neophyte who went mad during an action against denizens of the warp. Mind-wiped, he makes a very obedient assistant.

gallery_60019_8676_252553.jpg

And another of the servitor, just because I like the worthless little scrub.

gallery_60019_8676_61375.jpg

Finally, the three not nearly as finished LC terminators.

gallery_60019_8676_322433.jpg

I'm trying to finish up before the 15th, but classes began again on Monday, and I'm drowning in the cardiovascular system. I think I can make it, though.

~K

Krikey you sir have the finest models I've seen, they are better than Matt Hutsons' Templars!  I really think you should submit them to White Dwarf, there is no way they would turn them down and hell it will show that there is a strong and talented Black Templar community out here!

Thanks, Ommadon. I'll take some better pics using a light box when I'm done, but they still won't be as good as some I've seen. Is Matt Hutson the same person as Madmatt from this forum? If so, I'll have to respectfully but firmly disagree. He and his mentor, Dante77 (whose miniatures you can see on coolminiornot) are absolutely amazing.

I rushed a bit too much on the tabards on these guys in prep for the ETL. They're a bit rough, so I may have to patch, file, and sand them smooth later unless I can cover the problem areas with gore (which I believe I will be adding in copious amounts).

~K

p.s. If you do see Dante77's minis, it appears I subconsciously stole his shield pattern (but reversed). In my defense, I've used the red and white party per cross as a crusade badge for a long time -- I didn't realize his was so similar, but he should get credit for my BT shield pattern in any case.

I will have to side with Marshal Ommadon. You are very gifted artist and your models are just brilliant. You also have an eye for composition and color that causes your work to truly shine.

I really, like really love the idea of your servitor. It is well executed and really adds a lot of character to the squad. Well played.

Onwards brother, we need every point.

Steal freely and often.

~K

edit: p.s. The shield is magnetized, btw. After the ETL, I'll paint up another shield arm for the apothecary (with fist attached) and magnetize it as well in case I ever play a game. Though with this attempt by the Ordo Hereticus to force us into compliance, I may actually be able to field an apothecary, so who knows what I'll actually do?

Now at work on the LC brethren. I'm trying something new with the claws (refer to my marshal pics for a look at my old method). Not sure yet if I've succeeded or not. I'll post more pics when it's closer to completion.

gallery_60019_8676_200456.jpg

gallery_60019_8676_167435.jpg

Sorry. Just realized that the claws, which were supposed to be the focal points of the pics, are actually out of focus. Oh, well. Better pics later.

~K

Krikey, apologies if this is already addressed, but what gauge chain do you use for your models? I found some with 40 links per inch but I'm unsure of the scale.

That's what I use most of the time. I have chain in 40 lpi, 27 lpi, and either 15 or 16 lpi.

Here are a couple of pics showing the size comparisons (sorry for the large size -- didn't have time to reduce them):

gallery_60019_7511_241908.jpg

gallery_60019_7511_375996.jpg

~K

Damn it Krikey, will you stop making the rest of us look bad? tongue.png

I really need to get some chains myself, I've no idea why I still haven't gotten around to actually doing that.

Yeah, chains are handy to have, and easy to get once you figure out what to buy. By the way, M2C -- get the chain with black finish. It accepts paint easily without excessive chipping (unlike the brass finish) and is easier to set in place with thin cyanoacrylate. (If you try to set dangling chain with just primer, it will end up shifting from position and the paint will crack, so it's good to use some thin glue.)

~K

Vow complete. Here are some shots.

First, just the brethren who actually count for the vow:

gallery_60019_8676_180835.jpg

And with the Master of Sanctity they guard. (The Master of Sanctity has recently been chastised over his use of proscribed battle drugs, however, and may soon become less formidable in combat. He has appealed the decision, but at this point the appeal seems just a formality ...)

gallery_60019_8676_237152.jpg

And finally, the full squad with their transport. The servitor, unfortunately, must be stowed in the baggage compartment, as there is only room for ten ...

gallery_60019_8676_98880.jpg

That's it. Done. I may fail my cardiology exam Friday morning, but at least I've done my duty to the Emperor and the Black Templar!

~K

Archived