Colossus

Just a quick one, im starting a detachment for my chaos (iron warrors) and im trying to figure out what to use, the colossus is attractive to me. The FAQ says that It should ignore the it cannot use direct fire reference- Page 53 – Ordnance Battery, Colossus Siege Mortar.

Ignore the reference to direct fire - does this mean no minimum range for the colossus? 

I cant remember correctly but I thought that Direct Fire no longer existed in 6th ed. There is Indirect Fire but nothing about Direct fire, I believe it was the reverse in 5th? There was Direct fire but nothing specific about indirect fire.

Page 34 in the BRB has the details under "Barrage", and indirect fire in 6th is a lot nicer than it was in 5th.

I too will have a colossus (or three!) once I get to my traitor guard allies, unless they really nerf it in the 6th ed. IG codex.

Yes, as understand it:

In LOS and outside 'min range' = shoot and substract BS

Outside LOS = shoot but don't subtract BS

Within 'min range' (regardless of LOS) = shoot but don't subtract BS

Outside 'max range' = move closer!

Very keen to get myself a couple of Colossi and a Griffon to help them.

So can it direct fire?

There is no formal rule as Direct fire in 6th ed, that is why the special note has been removed, but in abstract terms, yes it can direct fire.

So can it direct fire?

There is no formal rule as Direct fire in 6th ed, that is why the special note has been removed, but in abstract terms, yes it can direct fire.

I guess that holds true for griffons too, right?

oh man, that is awesome!

To my knowledge the only unit which cannot fire under within its minimum range is the Minotaur Artillery tank as the unit special rules specifically states it cannot fire at targets inside its minimum range, it doesnt use terms like Direct or Indirect.

Archived