500p? What to start with?

Uhtin

Hello Sisters and Brothers!

I decided to start with SoB, what should I get if I want to start with 500 points?

Thanks for your replies! :)

You should construct your 2 troop units as more than half your points will always be spent on that. Once you have that standard load out decided then move on to you HQ choice. At the bare minimum that will be 315 of your 500 points without any upgrades so let those determine what comes next.

So what does this mean?

4 3 sister blisters, 2 simulacrums or a additional 3 sister blister ( I only suggest the SI because they look cool), 2 heavy weapon sisters or 2 special weapons, 2 more special weapons, and 2 sister superiors of you choice.

Depending on you choices that will run you 250 to 350 points. You probably want to build for certain tasks like going all flamer or all melta with 2 of same special weapon in a squad. Its just a handful of points for flamers or meltas, but at 500 you will rapidly begin cutting into your other options. Hopefully some of this is helpful to you.

The list I would run would be:

Canoness with melts bombs, rosaries, bolt pistol power weapon.

Sister squad (10 strong- superior has melta bombs; hvy flamer and melts gun for special and heavy) with rhino.

Sister squad (13 strong but same load out as other squad)

This should just be under 500 pts

Welcome to the Sisters Uhtin! :D As the others mentioned at 500pts your 2 mandatory Troop units will quite a few of your points so you should spend a few points on them to make sure they're capable of getting up to mischief on the table top.

I quite like war's list, for Sisters you can't go far wrong with a solid Troop core to a list so it never hurts to get more Battle Sisters. Even more so when you're starting out, as long as you can muster enough special weapons for them they will always put in a reliable show for you. As Sisters are a close range aggressive army mounting them in Rhinos is also another good idea.

There's plenty of good advice in the forum so poke around and let us know if you have any questions. Someone's always around to help out :)

My Standard 500pt list looks like this..  It is exactly 500 and has a wide range of ability to handle stuff and find it to be well balanced over all. 

St. Celestine

Battle Sister Squad (10x)

-- Flamer

-- Meltagun

-- Combi-Flamer/Melta (Depends on what kind of army I'm facing on which Combi- I use)

Battle Sister Squad (10x)

-- Flamer

-- Meltagun

-- Combi-Flamer/Melta (Depends on what kind of army I'm facing on which Combi- I use)

Retributor Squad (5x)

-- Heavy Bolter

-- Heavy Bolter

-- Heavy Bolter

-- Heavy Bolter

Reasoning:

St. Celestine for the point cost, she is too good to pass up.  Her high armor save gives her the most survivabilty and ability to tank for a squad.  Plus the whole 'we-be-back' roll she has keeps her in the game.  She is an AMAZING anti-monsterious creature killer.  I have played too many 500pt games against monsterious creatures not to plan ahead for it.  No to mention she does have a really nice Heavy Flamer.

Battle Sister squads are just mandantory since we don't have any other options.  the Flamer/Melta combo is good incase you need to hit high armor targets or the occasional vehicle that people will play in 500pt games.  The flamer is good anti charge weapon and handy if you have both squads shooting at one target like I try.  I always try to get both squads in a flanking positions on one target so I can hit with full fire.  Depending on what army I am facing depends which combi-weapon I use.  I generally go with one a combi-flamer and the other a combi-melta so I have a few high str weapons in the army.

Retributor Squad is just mean with 4 potentitially Rending heavy bolters.  The shear number of shoots at this point value is really good and nice to give supporting fire for the troops.  Plus with the rending they can do serious damage to high armor characters and transports.  They also do very well vs monsterious creatures such as Tervigons.  They aso tend to be a higher targing priority for other players to shoot at since they are pretty mean.  this gives you more time to get your basic girls into positions and get Celestine in close to do her thing.

I decided to start with SoB, what should I get if I want to start with 500 points?

You should get an engineering degree and a job with a large oil company ....

This would be an all-comers, 500 point list:

Canoness with stormbolter (68 pts)

Battle Sister Squad; Stormbolter Superior, meltagun and Heavy Bolter (143 pts)

Battle Sister Squad; Stormbolter Superior, meltagun and Heavy Bolter (143 pts)

Exorcist with stormbolter and searchlight (146 pts)

The cost for this from GW:

Canoness (Sister w/ Stormbolter) $9.90

2X Sister Superiors with Stormbolter $19.80

2X meltaguns $19.80

2X Heavy Bolters $28.00

14X Battle Sisters with boltguns (5 packs of 3 so 1 extra) $51.75

Exorcist $57.75

Total: $187.00 USD

You should get an engineering degree and a job with a large oil company ....

You'ld think it'd be enough, but I can tell you with authority that it's not. Medical Doctor might be a sufficiently plum occupation though, I'll ask my cousin when next I see him.

If you're just starting out, buy a whole bunch of battle sisters. Get some superiors and special weapons too (or convert your own). These models are good for roughly 5 different unit types in the codex, so having plenty of them is a solid base to build from and gives you lots of choice from the off.

Rhinos are always a good buy, but if you arent getting them at a discount then buy an immolator from gw; all the Rhino parts are there but you'll be able to make it look so much cooler with the extra Sisters parts.

List wise, my advice is different as you go up in points. At 500 I would look to Celestine for the best HQ, 2 squads of battle sisters in Rhinos with meltas and combi melta in one, and flamer, heavy flamer and combi flamer in the other. Give your squads meltabombs, rhinos ladled in upgrades and try some games out.

At 750 points i would swap to uriah jacobus as HQ, take a battle conclave and some retributors, and then beef up a squad of sisters to 20. From there, you can build as you see fit :)

Archived