Command Squad VS Stern

malorn24

I have always been a fan of sterns but I rarely get a chance to use them and when I do I must be useing them wrong cause they usually don't survive contact. I was looking at some boards and saw the plasma command squad. So the quest is this. For the same amount of points I can take 7 barebone sterns or 6 with a powerfist vs quad plasma command squad. What do you guys think?

Drop pod a captain along with the command squad.

Give the captain a plasma pistol and aa armour. With the apothecary he has feel no pain and you have a squad that can fire 9 shots of plasma at an enemy unit. :-)

Did you factor in the points saved from a Captain to a Libby if you take Sternguard? You only take the Captain for a Command squad most times, so the comparison IMO is a Captain and quad plasma Command squad vs a Libby and Sternguard.

Of the two, it depends. Sternguard are at their best with combi weapons to cover any weaknesses. The Command squad however is great against elite units, better than the Sternguard. But the Sternguard are more flexible. Neither will survive much enemy firepower because they're dangerous, high priority targets. If you want a durable unit then Terminators will serve you better.

The command squad have a few decent builds, but neither of them are competitive truly. quad plasma or quad melta/flamer (same points, yes you can do it). they are interesting, if anything the biggest drawback is that you need a captain to get your hands on them. You cant go choppy as they have no delivery system, and it is a waste to put them in a land raider. The only time they are really worth it (apart from the apocalypse formation) is when they are on bikes. They are your only melee unit, but they can make a nice melee unit, a bit of a points sink but it can be achieved. 

What I would really like is if you could buy a command squad for each HQ, not just each captain, like in C:DA. I would love to give my libby a command squad. 

Sternguard are just great. Just, simply, great. They have literally got everything covered. They work out of a rhino, out of a drop pod, foot slogging. I would choose sternguard over command squad in almost every situation. 

But. Sterns are not as good as MC hunters. I know helfire and combiplasmas, but those rapid firing plasma guns AND FnP will see you right. 

So, after a little sprawl. Sternguard are good at doing anything, but Plasma command squads are great at doing one thing, and boy are they just so amazing at it. Killing off Monstrous creatures, oh, and small elite units without a decent invun. 

What do you need them for? 

ZP

I am trying to put together a good list together that is decent for any enemy. I have alot of models and I have a habit of trying to take all my models and build a list right there at the GW store when I can get a game in. But that takes too long. SO I am trying to put together a decent all around list. But I have always loved Sterns just have problems using htem right I guess.

I'd say Sternguard with Lysander out of a Drop Pod is about as good as it gets. Take Combi-Flamers and wall of flame anybody that tries to charge you and slow down your infantry killing machine that hides behind a guy that catches Lascannons with his teeth. 

I noticed that this topic is going awry, and just to re-familiarise myself I read the OP again.

If you are thinking points wise in terms of sterns, and using a powerfist as an option load out for them, then you are definitely using them wrong. Sterns really should not be thought of as equal to a power fist.

I think you should experiment with a plasma command squad, 175pts is very fun, and much more punchier at short range than those 7 stern. Try it. Put them in a razorback, go have fun.

ZP

Yeah but I have the old metal sterns and the SGT has a PF. Kinda of annoying. I always just thought to kit them out with combi meltas for tank popping. Which leads me to another question then.

If I have 3 combi meltas in the squad can I pick how many of the 3 I want to fire in that turn or do all of them have to fire?

Yeah but I have the old metal sterns and the SGT has a PF. Kinda of annoying. I always just thought to kit them out with combi meltas for tank popping. Which leads me to another question then.

If I have 3 combi meltas in the squad can I pick how many of the 3 I want to fire in that turn or do all of them have to fire?

I feel your pain, built a new one out of a spare tac marine.   Yeah each models can declare individually if it wants to fire its bolter or combi weapon.

I have the exact same model. He went to a kill team tournament with me, I chose him over another sternguard. Well worth it, just to see that beautiful model on the table, he died every game, still a wonderful time.

I find 3 is the minimum, just to let you know. Any less than that and one bad turn of rolls and your sterns are looking like juicy first blood targets instead of skilled first blood killers.

ZP

Archived