DiY chapter questions.

GrandMagnus

Hello brothers, with the upcoming C:SM I have been working on a DiY chapter as my next proyect after my HH Ultramarines. But I have run into some isues Im not sure how solve so I would like to get some answers on these questions:

1. Would it be acceptable for chapters of other genelines than that of the Dark Angels to wear robes?

2. Although names like "Angels of..." or "... Angels" are mostly common with the Dark Angels and Blood Angels genelines, its not impossible for chapters of other genes to use these kinds of names right?

3. How many battle barges would a chapter with a home world on a planet usually have and how much capacity does a battle barge have? I know they are the biggest ships in the imperial arsenal, but just how big?

4. When creating a chapter where do the initial officers, reclusiarchs, master librarians, masters of the forge and masters of the apothecarion come from? Among the newly formed recruits or are they veterans of the founding chapter?

Thanks in advance brothers.

1. Would it be acceptable for chapters of other genelines than that of the Dark Angels to wear robes?

The robes are a function of the background of the recruits, not the gene-seed line. If your recruits come from a culture where robes are the province of warriors, then your marines are likely to wear robes. 

2. Although names like "Angels of..." or "... Angels" are mostly common with the Dark Angels and Blood Angels genelines, its not impossible for chapters of other genes to use these kinds of names right?

Correct. 

3. How many battle barges would a chapter with a home world on a planet usually have and how much capacity does a battle barge have? I know they are the biggest ships in the imperial arsenal, but just how big?

My guess would be zero to one.  Battle Barges are a huge investment in resources and personnel, and it seems unlilkely to me that a bewly-founded Chapter would be given one without proving their ability.  As for capacity: Three companies. 

A Battle Barge is approximately the same size as an Imperial Navy Battleship.

4. When creating a chapter where do the initial officers, reclusiarchs, master librarians, masters of the forge and masters of the apothecarion come from? Among the newly formed recruits or are they veterans of the founding chapter?

They come from the founding Chapter. 

My guess would be zero to one.  Battle Barges are a huge investment in resources and personnel, and it seems unlilkely to me that a bewly-founded Chapter would be given one without proving their ability.  As for capacity: Three companies. 

A Battle Barge is approximately the same size as an Imperial Navy Battleship.

As far as I know all chapters are granted one on their founding, how else are they going to move from their homeworld to warzones? And as for my chapters fluff they were founded in the 13th Founding (35 - 36th millenium) so it should be acceptable for them to have 2 battle barges, right?

As far as I know all chapters are granted one on their founding,

I don't remember ever reading any fluff that supports this notion, but I could just be getting old. smile.png

how else are they going to move from their homeworld to warzones?

Strike Cruisers. They can carry one company each.

And as for my chapters fluff they were founded in the 13th Founding (35 - 36th millenium) so it should be acceptable for them to have 2 battle barges, right?

I would expect that a Chpater founded then should have at least one and possibly two Barges. I think you're good there.

Robes are based on the chapter and may be a result of the chapter's recruiting base or may be part of the chapter's warrior cult. So they're not restricted to the Unforgiven chapters.

Most chapters have only one or two battle barges. Having three would be considered exceptional. There is no fluff stating when a chapter gets battle barges or how many they might gf et at first, but it seems perfectly plausible to me for a 'newly founded chapter to receive f as part of its initial complement of material.

Where a chapter's initial officers come from is a matter of debate as the fluff doesn't provide definitive answers. They may come from the chapter's predecessor or, if the "training cadre" method is used, they may come from the ranks of the new chapter's battle brothers. Or it might be a mix of those two methods. In the training cadre method, a contingent from an established chapter (not necessarily the new chapter's predecessor) trains the new chapter and then leaves.

1. Sure.

2. Sure. It might be a little odd outside of those two chapters, but not fluff breaking. I wouldn't worry too much about the fluffiness of your Chapter's name. Just don't Latinize it. I always chuckle at that. Because it's always the same name, no matter what language it is in, and none of the official GW chapters do this except for the Carcaradons Astra, which are just the old Space Sharks with Forgeworld's fan-fiction Latinization to try to make them sound cooler. ;)  Irate Platypi is still irate Platypi, even if you call them Anatinus Iratos.

3. It's never been definitively stated. Really, there's not much ever stated about what goes into making a new chapter, and some of the fluff seems counter-intuitive. The consensus seems to lie in that the initial officer corps comes from their predecessor, or a cadre from multiple chapters of the same gene seed.

Haha, no worries I dont like latinized chapter names either. Im just horrible at thinking of good names. So far I have stored 3 names that I think sound good:

-Iron Crusaders: The name exists on Lexicanum but theres no fluff about them only that they are a loyalist chapter, so I have a lot of freedom with that.

-Angels of Judgement: Sounds very dark angeli, but is still a really cool name.

-Iron Hunters: A friend of mine suggested this one and altough it sounds really cool everytime I hear chapter names that include some metallic element I instantly feel that they have to be painted that way.

-Storm Blades: Sounds cool an allows me to add some of the DA swords hehehe

Iron Crusaders are a fleet-based Chapter currently heading towards the Ghoul Stars and have an icon that matches that of the Iron Champions. This was all I could find, since I am making an Iron Crusaders Chapter as well.

Perfectly, remember that many Chapters follow the 'warrior monk' asthetic besides the DA.

Again, no problem. All the Astartes are described as 'angels of death' (I think in quote from Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the Ultras)

Two is in no way unreasonable, even three isn't impossible as the Ultras actually have more than that (although I believe some of those aren't in active service plus they are a 1st/2nd Founding Legion/Chapter.

Pretty well covered, we're not sure so you can do what fits best for your Chapter.

Like Angels of Judgement, conjures idea of Chapter with close ties to Adeptus Arbites, punishing rebellious worlds...

-Iron Hunters: A friend of mine suggested this one and altough it sounds really cool everytime I hear chapter names that include some metallic element I instantly feel that they have to be painted that way.

Not necessarily, the obvious examples being Crimson Fists (small areas in title colour) or Red Scorpions (just the Chapter badge).

My main idea for the robes was that it was not initially a tradicion in the chapter but it was inducted by the current chapter master. I call the "Robes of Penitence" because some of the chapters battle brothers went renegade and some of the loyalists feel ashamed of it and choose to wear these robes as part of a vow. Any of you know if this idea has been used before (and yes, I am aware that it seems very similar to the DA, so no need to really mention that).

Okay I was working on the fluff and I wanted to use my personal favorite weapons of the astartes and methods of warfare as the basis for this chapter (although they are of course Codex Astartes semi-compliant) which are heavy bolters, flamers and TDA, and close combat assaults and close range firefights. 

So I was initially hoping to run the chapter with the new C:SM, hoping that there might be an option to run terminators and veterans as troop choices and terminator command squads for the chapter master. I dont have the current C:SM so I dont know wether its possible to run Elites as troops, but I do know that TDA command doesnt currently exist.

What codex should I use, until the new one comes out I was thinking that C:DA might be the best but it feels awkwards considering the Dornian geneline of my chapter.

Now Im having some troubles with the colour scheme (Ive already found one I like). I want use to yellow and black as part of the armours colour but Im not sure what to do with the details. What combines best both with black and yellow? gold, bronze or gun metal? Or maybe something else entirely?

Now Im having some troubles with the colour scheme (Ive already found one I like). I want use to yellow and black as part of the armours colour but Im not sure what to do with the details. What combines best both with black and yellow? gold, bronze or gun metal? Or maybe something else entirely?

Aha!

*Puts on Heraldry Dept. Hat*

EDIT:

Removed un-needed pics to free up extra forum space and stuff.

Food for thought!happy.png

If any of these are any use to you, feel free to use them. If there's any other colours or ideas you'd like me to try out, simply say so and I shall see what can be done.biggrin.png

I already have the colour scheme haha (but thanks for the input):

So Im wondering what colour for details on this scheme? I was thinking bronze or gunmetal.

EDIT: Just added a marine without the robes.

So, in writting process of the chapters fluff and for the design and image of the army I have come up with some more questions. The image of the chapte rin my mind is something of a very sinister, gothic knight feel that fits well with the gothic nature of the grim dark future, similar to the DA. This means I will be using bitz from the Dark Angels, specifically the robes and hoods, but heres the problem. The angelical imagery on armour is usually only used by BA gene lines and DA gene lines because of their original homeworld / primarch / traditions / blablabla.

I suppose it would be acceptable for me to use this imagery on my own chapter even though they have no relation to the unforgiven or the BA, right?

I suppose it would be acceptable for me to use this imagery on my own chapter even though they have no relation to the unforgiven or the BA, right?

Yup.

Space Marines are Angels of Death. So there's really only a question of why this imagery isn't used with more chapters.laugh.png

Archived