Anyone leaving for the new SM codex?

Prot

Just to spark conversation, and inevitable comparisons, I'm just curious if anyone is considering leaving Dark Angels to see if the grass is indeed greener on the Space Marine's side of the fence?

Personally, I love the DA background. It really grew on me in this edition. And the special rules really make them unique to field.

The funny thing is I never played vanilla marine codex... ever. I was always Wolves, or Templars, and now Dark Angels. Kinda weird.

Anyway, I have too much invested in D.A. to walk away from the now. I mentioned this in another thread but the only concern I have is the 'Greenwing' player might be tempted to leave because it does look like pure Greenwing might not be as 'cool' anymore once those new SM models are out.

I'm secretly hoping the flyer (if they get one) isn't actually better than the Nephilim. ;)

I'm really hoping all the new dexes flyer's get the Neph treatment, that would go a long way to help those on the cusp of loyally. Me? I'm good, I used green marines before and will do so again, still DA; different rules.

As other have mentioned too, allies are a great way to get new 'green' toys, then use C:DA for DW/RW coolness.

I might play Codex marines as another company, seeing as they may be basically the same as greenwing, but who knows, really. Maybe white scars if i want to make the GoTC bikers different from the ravenwing for fun.

More than likely allies, as i've been oggleing the Centurions for very heavy supporting fire. Maybe a stormtalon too (already got one)

I'm probably going to ally some space marine units. Deathwing Knights have done to much to capture my imagination to abandon them. Really all I want is the autocannon AA tank. With my mortis dread, it should do well enough alone. Even if it doesn't have interceptor like Hydras, I can still use it to kill wave serpents!

I'm not adverse to taking some vanguard vets if they end up good either.

As other have mentioned too, allies are a great way to get new 'green' toys, then use C:DA for DW/RW coolness.

Cannot agree more. Seriously, this is how lots of people play!

Using Allies as counts-as is a great way of adding more toys or more flavour to your interpretation of something.

And at the end of the day, isn't that what we're all doing?

I've never ever tried a single game using codex SM when our codex was the crappy thing Jervis created in v4... I see no reason to do so with the current DA codex.

Allies is another matter. Like I've explained several times I plan to create a small force representing the forges of the Rock and including some particular units. Since the choices will be vehicles, scouts (who have the same rules in both codex) and techmarines (who are not totally DA), the lack of grim resolve isn't annoying.

being playing DA for over 15 years now, never used codex: marines. that is not going to change now.

i utterly refuse to use allies as well, and care litte for the new toys, so i will not even buy the codex. used to buy them all but now they are a overpriced luxury that i will not indulge. hell, i did not even buy codex chaos and i have a iron warriors army geek.gif

Same here regarding the books, own every dex since 2nd Ed, not paying for these ones. Too dear by far.

Same about C:CSM too; 4500pts of WE getting used by my 5 and 7 year olds for painting practice,gotta start somewhere ;)

I did get C:D in the hope it would be ok...nah. verymad.gif

I have been a black templar player since the release of third edition and I saw the cover art for the gamebox/rulebook. Still got the limited edition captain to boot. So alas I will be playing the regular codex marines when they come out, but will still have my ravenwing and deathwing for support.

Unfortunately for me, everyone in my neck of the woods is Powergamer McGee, so if there's a legitimate strategic cheese reason to run a Battle Brothers force org, I'll most likely be forced into it.

I just got into the hobby in total in November and have really, really, really enjoyed modeling and painting, but good lord the tabletop game is simply unfun as far as I know. All the long time players keep telling me "it gets better as your forces expand" but I'm 4000ish points into Dark Angels and I still get tabled every single game, running strategies based on advice I've gotten to boot.

Then again the jerkwads around here have likely been giving me poor advice on purpose so they can win more.

Luckily for me I just like the universe, so if I have a reason to field some other army I also think is cool, then, whee. I'm already starting an Ulthwé eldar list.

No plans on ditching the DA Codex anytime soon - allies though are a totally different kettle of fish so yes a purchase of the new C:SM seems on the cards, despite its likely £30 price tag :(.

Must admit to have kept well clear of the usual rumour sites so I have no great expectations of it either way. Looking forwards to seeing how the two forces might synergise.

Cheers

I

I'm not going anywhere. I'll admit to using the 5th edition SM codex before the release of the our latest, considering that our previous one was awful, I don't think that's particularly unreasonable. Allies, as others have said, are a totally different matter.

I love my DA, so will I ever stop playing DA completely? No. Not at all. I'll always have the urge to play a DA army at some point. But I will admit that I do love the knightly theme and have really liked the Black Templars. Heresy I know sad.png But with the possible release of them in the new SM codex, I'll probably create a small army of them. Though thats after my penitent crusade for delving into foul xenos whistlingW.gif

As to their flyers, this will be the first time a 5th edition flyer gets converted into 6th edition. I hope they don't screw it up and keep them cheap as hell verymad.gif (though I'm okay with the Stormraven's price point atm)

Am I planning on switching loyalty? - Nope!

I have been a dress wearing monk for quite some time and will be for a long time to come codex creep or no.

Now Xenos are a different question ;)

I would never switch my DA codex for vanilla Space Marines, your codex is awesome. I might pick up the new SM codex to use the my brothers ultras for allies though. It will be interesting to see if any of the new units get FAQ'ed into your codex.

I mean our codex as oppose to "your" codex

I kind of doubt I'll be switching from our current dex to the vanilla one.  I, for one, am not all that excited about the new Space Marine Broadsides (the Centurions), and I'm imagining the SM flyer is going to be the Storm Talon, which is silly looking.  I might think the Nephilim is overpriced, but it's the best looking SM flyer GW has done to date.  There's enough stuff in Codex: Dark Angels to keep me happy with a multitude of different builds to try.  From what I've heard about the upcoming release, about the only thing in the vanilla dex I might want to have is the AA tank, and for friendly games at least I might just informally add it to our arsenal.  Then again, might just use a Mortis Dreadnought instead.

Regarding the Mortis, is the pricing in IA2 still official, or is there an update somewhere I haven't been able to find?

Regarding the Mortis, is the pricing in IA2 still official, or is there an update somewhere I haven't been able to find?

there has been a update, not sure if the books themselves have been updated

by this update a mortis with 2 twin lascannons costs 155 points.

I mean, I'm totally going to keep my Terminators around, but that's mostly what I'm here for. I love the robes, too, but don't actually like running Green that much. It's entirely likely I'll be doing self-ally stuff between DA and my Successor :)

Archived