Anyone leaving for the new SM codex?

Prot

Nope - i'll be sticking with C:DA for Death/Raven/Greenwing.

Based on the leaked rules and images, I'm currently speculating on an "Ironwing" apocalypse detachment of C:SM - MotF, Storm Talons, Stalker tanks and Dev Centurions. Painted Greenwing but with Techmarine pilots; new technologies being evaluated by the legion, probably to become chapter approved in around 5 years...

nowhere near as useful as Mortis Contemtors in normal games.

Ah, but there you have answered the ubiquitous question "How do you make pure Deathwing viable"?  Already got some of those bad boys planned for AA and AT duty in normal games, hiding behind a PFG.

Based on the reality of other recent codecii, I have faith that new C:SM won't be overpowered.  Just hoping Raven Guard, Iron Hands and Imperial Fists get some proper respect in their expected supplements.

Well i came to the DA from started with Vanilla Marines about 8 years ago. So I will pick up the codex of my original army, yea. But I think DA have captured my heart, and the boys in green are my favorite (along with my boyz in green). I'll definitely break out my Vanilla Marines for a few games though. maybe ally the DA

Anyone who leaves the Chapter shall be branded a heretic, hunted down and destroyed with Grim Resolve. Never Forget! Never Forgive! devil.gif

Seriously though, I'm only kidding. I won't begrudge anyone who wants to have some variety in his tabletop games. This is an expensive hobby, and if you get more out of it whether through allies or a new Marine project, more power to you.

I doubt I'll leave... to be honest, I have too much invested in bikes. (man Ravenwing is expensive at 1850!)

Funny I orginally wanted to do Deathwing but kind of shied away from it with the warnings on this forum....

You guys keep mentioning Contemptor dreads? I don't know the details but is this tournament legal? We rarely have FW legal events here, so I'm just curious if this is a house rule kind of thing, or you take it to tournaments?

You guys keep mentioning Contemptor dreads? I don't know the details but is this tournament legal? We rarely have FW legal events here, so I'm just curious if this is a house rule kind of thing, or you take it to tournaments?

It depends on the tournament. I know the major one in my area (NOVA Open) isn't allowing them in the GT/Invitational but is allowing them in Teams and Narrative. Though most smaller tournaments around here also don't allow FW in general. Such a shame because I really want a contemptor ermm.gif

HsojVvad, on 12 Aug 2013 - 23:05, said:

Tiger9gamer, on 12 Aug 2013 - 12:20, said:

Is it really that bad to switch? I mean it seems there is two topics that feel like they are looking down at people who do/will.

I'm seeing the new codex as a potential engine for more fluffy and fun play. to add more variety through allies or maybe through different builds we couldn't use before. I'll still use dark angels, yes, but sometimes I think people need to change the way they play. yes, there are a lot of viable and fun builds in the DA codex, but is it really heresy to want a little more?

No it's not bad to switch but for grown men and boys to say they need to switch so they can win with plastic toy soldiers seems kinda of silly if you ask me. How would you react if you herd girls arguing who is more powerfull Jacob or Edward?

Basically that is what it is. You are leaving Team Jacob for Team Edward while wearing fur, just because he has better powers. Sounds silly eh?

it isn't about winning, it's about having fun with my toy soldiers! if i want to switch to keep having fun, i might, or I might not.

Otherwise, I see the point of everyone else :)

Actually the thing is :

Would you use your DA to represent tyranids or eldar for example? Because here too, it's using your toy soldiers to try new experiences...

You may say "but it's not the same"... I would answer, why then making 2 codexes?

If you want to try a new experience and fun, then buy new models, paint them blue, yellow or black and use the according rules of your choice. I have myself an army of TS and one of deamons(I've also tried a little Siam hann but I finally sell my models). So I have nothing against varying tactics and experiences. I DO have problems with proxying.

Oh my goodness, fellows. I just realized why Centurions look so bad.

They don't have robes. I am going to get some and convert them as my first real major project utilizing greenstuff into Dark Angels. This will be done.

Oh my goodness, fellows. I just realized why Centurions look so bad.

They don't have robes. I am going to get some and convert them as my first real major project utilizing greenstuff into Dark Angels. This will be done.

Haha, that sounds both hilarious and awesome at the same time.

Be sure to post some pics! smile.png

Actually, given that Cruddace destroyed the Codex bike army, you'll probably see some former Space Marine players picking up the Dark Angels so they can get some mileage out of the money they sunk into their now obsolete models.

How did he destroy the Codex bike army? I do not understand. What army? SM? How the codex is not out yet so we are not sure what they have don't have yet. 

Can you please explain.

Actually the thing is :

Would you use your DA to represent tyranids or eldar for example? Because here too, it's using your toy soldiers to try new experiences...

You may say "but it's not the same"... I would answer, why then making 2 codexes?

If you want to try a new experience and fun, then buy new models, paint them blue, yellow or black and use the according rules of your choice. I have myself an army of TS and one of deamons(I've also tried a little Siam hann but I finally sell my models). So I have nothing against varying tactics and experiences. I DO have problems with proxying.

Nice post. Just shows how some people need to win. I don't mind proxying though, because GW is an expensive hobby and not everyone has money/time/capability to keep buying new minis all the time. I guess it comes to constancy. 

Are people really trying to use new experiences and fun, or are they just being FotM?

Actually, given that Cruddace destroyed the Codex bike army, you'll probably see some former Space Marine players picking up the Dark Angels so they can get some mileage out of the money they sunk into their now obsolete models.

How did he destroy the Codex bike army? I do not understand. What army? SM? How the codex is not out yet so we are not sure what they have don't have yet.

Can you please explain.

Because now a captain on bike allow only ONE bike squad to become a troops choice.

So the only way to make a bike strong army is playing RW...

As for proxying : I make a difference between someone who wants to try something before buying a 50€ model and someone who wants to proxy an entire army just to profit from "better" rules...

Actually the thing is :

But you know that all the marine codex's use the same mini's. a tactical marine in DA is basically the same for Codex marines. A terminator is a terminator, only our's are slightly better. Our bikes use the same models, and aside from a few errant bits we can slap on, are basically the same as codex bikes, but with different rules.

I would not have any gripe if an opponent will proxie like that, as long as he doesn't mind me asking constantly what units are what.

And currently, my own family is too poor to start a new army. Already I have been stuck pretty much using the same list for over a year because that is all i had. I switched codex's to dark angels when they dropped, because they were a new experience and I felt like i have been trapped long enough. So if I feel trapped again, I might switch rules and play some codex marines for fun.

and i'm starting to find it funny. a few of my brethren say that it's sad when people MUST win with their armies?

I say it's sad when others look down on those who just want to have fun with their army. If that means sticking with the dark angels, making awesome fancy robes and playing with the best damn marines there are so far, then it's their fun. That's one of my favorite parts.

If fun means sticking with your models but playing with a slightly different codex because you like what that codex can do, then go ahead!

After all, it's only toy soldiers thumbsup.gif

(i'm sorry my unforgiven brothers. i kinda got up on a soap box unsure.png and made an ultra terribad post. just got worked up by that comment, and felt like i needed to discuss it.)

But if you feel trappedwith your hobby, it's maybe where the problem lies.

I myself had troubles to start the hobby because of the cost. To me it was the occasion to improve because I had no choice : I had to play with the few models I owned.

Every game is different so I've never felt trapped. Each experience was a different one.

Like I've said I've nothing against people who proxy a single model like a LR or a Flyer because they want to test it to be sure they won't waste the few money they can afford to their hobby.

You know, every codex seems appealing. Each of them. The models, the weapons, the fluff... You won't change every time a new power armour codex will be released.

The best way to improve is to play extensively again and again. Do you think Federer would be so good if every 6 months he would change tennis for golf then football?

Can you please explain.

Because now a captain on bike allow only ONE bike squad to become a troops choice.

Unless the white scar suppliment changes that too. Also, this is from faeit 212 on the white scars:

WHITE SCARS CHAPTER TRAITS:
+1 to Jink saves
Autopass Dangerous Terrain tests
+1 to Hammer Of Wrath attacks
All White Scars units gain the Hit & Run USR, except for Terminators and Centurions.

so aparently all the white scar bikers will have skilled rider, and slightly better in CCW due to +1 of hammer of wrath.

Kinda disheartening how the basic biker of their chapter equals to the elite of ours in due to skilled rider.

I say it's sad when others look down on those who just want to have fun with their army. If that means sticking with the dark angels, making awesome fancy robes and playing with the best damn marines there are so far, then it's their fun. That's one of my favorite parts.

If fun means sticking with your models but playing with a slightly different codex because you like what that codex can do, then go ahead!

After all, it's only toy soldiers thumbsup.gif

(i'm sorry my unforgiven brothers. i kinda got up on a soap box unsure.png and made an ultra terribad post. just got worked up by that comment, and felt like i needed to discuss it.)

It's not looking down on you Tiger. I guess the people I have played with, they HAD to win and sucked the fun out of playing. This was back in 5th edition last turn vehicle rush on objective. As a Tyranid player playing against a DA player using the Ultramarine Codex in a light hearted tourney, where his tanks were not even finished with no top.

So you tell me, how you feel playing agaisnt someone with plastic toy soldiers? tongue.png

The thing is, Tiger for alot of people, it's not that you can do things with another codex for more fun. It's using another codex so you can win easier. Mabye it's the people I met and played with, but it had nothing to do with fun, but it had all to do with winning. This is what I am trying to say. The fun factor is thrown out the window for them and it came down to winning only. That is why I say it's sad for a grown man who needs to win with plastic toy soldiers.

I can understand someone leaving say the DA codex because they can do something more fun, I really do understand it. But when you listen to them talk, it's not about the fun, but only about the winning.

Can you please explain.

Unless the white scar suppliment changes that too. Also, this is from faeit 212 on the white scars:

WHITE SCARS CHAPTER TRAITS:
+1 to Jink saves
Autopass Dangerous Terrain tests
+1 to Hammer Of Wrath attacks
All White Scars units gain the Hit & Run USR, except for Terminators and Centurions.

so aparently all the white scar bikers will have skilled rider, and slightly better in CCW due to +1 of hammer of wrath.

Kinda disheartening how the basic biker of their chapter equals to the elite of ours in due to skilled rider.

The white scar chapter trait is supposed to represent a chapter that were raised on horses, and lives on bikes. So yeah, they probably all are at least as good riders as black knights. Black knights though have a veteran stat line and have better combat and support equipment. It's a different approach to bikers, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Agreed. Our Black Knights also have Scout, Grim Resolve and Teleport Homers, as do our normal Ravenwing brethren. And they are black, much better than pansy white (don't tell white-coloured Deathwing armies I said that).

As default the White Scars might be better riders than our normal Ravenwing, but we are better at Bike recon and being all grim and resolute. tongue.png

Archived