Fishing for ideas on a Ravenwing Librarian

SRSFACE

I've fallen head over heels for my Dark Angel Ravenwing units since I've picked them up. Currently I'm working on painting an Interrogator-Chaplain on a bike wielding the Mace of Redemption as well as 6 Black Knights (3 of which are champion, apothecary and standard bearer for a command squad).

I also absolutely love Librarians. I occasionally run one on foot alongside a regular command squad so I can go Banner of Devastation cheese against horde armies, but I realized that you can bring a regular command squad with ANY HQ guy regardless of if they're in terminator armor, on a bike or just in simple power armor.

Long story short, I want to kitbash up a Dark Angels librarian on a bike to run alongside my IC, because Zealot on a Librarian would be pretty much fantastic. My Black Knight Squad of death would increase in size, and that's always nice. I don't actually tend to run a lot of regular Ravenwing bikers as I'd rather field hordes of tactical marines for my troop choices instead anyway so not running Sammael wouldn't hurt my force org all that much.

Any advice? Bits and bobs from various other kits you guys think could help? I figure I'll buy a one-off torso back of a grey knight so I won't have to attempt to green stuff a psychic hood. Would be easier to try and greenstuff the back torso parts of robes onto that than making a psychic hood. I think the shouty angry hooded terminator head I've still got left over from the Deathwing Command box would be a good face for it, so I suppose I'd just need another Ravenwing upgrade spruce for robed biker legs.

I suppose the REAL real question is how to run him rules-wise. I always run psykers at max mastery level in every codex I play in so he'd be sitting at 120 pts for LVL2 psyker and a bike. The bike supplies the shooty dakka with the twin-linked boltgun so I could easily swap his default bolt pistol for a secondary melee weapon. I'm thinking I'd go force axe, power sword. That way if I felt like plugging even more points into him, I could say the sword is the Monster Slayer of Caliban and still have a backup AP2 weapon in case I ever needed it, AND I'd still have the potential for instant death anyway. Or, maybe go Force Axe Power Maul so I'd have 6 strength for times I have the squad assault vehicles with back armor 10. Not sure what would be best here, open to suggestions.

The other solution is to wait for September and the new HQ plastic box set to convert it.

As for the load out I'd go for lvl2 and an inv save... Would choose the axe because you'll still have the IC to hold the challenges of the majority of the opponents (particularly with the mace of redemption). So keep a little AP2 weapon.... A minima I would swap the bolt pistol with a simple power weapon (maul or sword) so that he could strike on I when needed.

For the model, I would check out Elmos Biker Librarian. Made from the Dark Vengeance box using the Librarian and a bike I believe.

How I would personally run him is Lvl2, with PFG. Put him in the Banner of Devastation squad so when up against hell drakes and other ignores cover AP3 weaponry your banner doesn't just go splat.

That's a way cool conversion. I like that a lot. If any of my other friends pick up a Dark Vengeance box, I'll trade them my painted power armor Libby for their unpainted one to attempt something similar.

Personally I love the fact rigging him with the psychic arm outwards means I could pretty much say he's geared how I want in any given game. "Oh, I chose to display my guy using his psychic powers rather than with the force weapon he's supposed to be wielding so there really wasn't room to display his weapon. He's wielding a force axe now, by the way. Deal with it." I love sticking it to the WYSIWYG Nazis and I'm not entirely sure why.

@Elphilo: I use the forcefield generator when I run him on foot in power armor for that reason, but for how I plan on having him and my interrogator-chaplain attached to a 5-man Ravenwing command squad and have them cause havoc like they tend to do. PFG would defeat the purpose of the squad. I don't know if you've ever used them but every turn they basically delete a unit either by plasma hail or by cleaning it up in close combat with their corvus hammers. AND then even if they don't manage to kill the squad on the first turn, they can always hit and run out (without fail if the banner guy is still alive!). Hyper versatile unit. Oh, did I mention they all get to outflank? That's fun too.

The times I've ran against Heldrakes, I abuse the fact they've got outflank and are on bikes to always stay out of range, and it's kind of funny to watch Heldrakes keep flipping around and never being able to hit the target they want. Unless there are several on the board, and then there's not a lot you can do unless your overcosted anti-vehicle flyers get lucky. (Why are Blacksword missiles S6 while Flakk missiles are strength 7? You would think a vehicle would have have a greater payload than a guy on foot. If blacksword missiles were strength 8 the thing would justify it's 180 point cost, I think.)

That actually brings me to an argument I've gotten into with guys about Torrent. My argument is when in the special rule it talks about "base of the model," it's assuming base of the model in the same way you draw line of sight from the base for any typical dude, meaning on a vehicle, it still has to abide by firing arc, meaning the small end of the flamer template still needs to be within 12 inches of the actual flamestorm cannon or whatever the Heldrake's weapon is called in the weapon's actual firing arc. But, all the guys I play with are hardcore powergamers fielding Ghost Marines chapter so I only get a game in maybe once a month where I don't scoop by the end of turn 2. Apparently fielding lists for the love of the Warhammer universe rather than to compensate for a small trouser snake is a rare thing where I live.

The only concern I have with PFG is the fact that this unit is meant for CC and there's nothing more annoying that seeing a rending hits nullified by your own PFG <_<

And yeah, if vehicles' weapons ranges are measured from the weapon, then you have to measure from the head of the drake... Hence for a back shot the target has to be very close from the rear of the drake...

Yeah, I've screwed myself many a time because of the PFG in melee. Thats why in the list I'm developing the Librarian goes with the Standard of Devastation, while Sam goes with the Ravenwing Standard into melee. Yeah lots of points, but the few times I've played it on Vassal was really fun!

Here's my take on the Dark Vengeance Sergeant biker conversion - a new head (from the DV libby) and left arm with power sword (from the RW sprue not the one from the DV libby) .... I remain convinced that using the DV bikes is the easiest way to make a Libby on a bike smile.png

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/Characters/CEB6FA0A-64EC-4ED1-8F89-4BD7F488D8E1-261-0000003C44FD5264_zps811ebbf6.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/Characters/AD956CAF-8CAD-4764-AA8C-C94B627043DB-261-0000003C3D278F37_zps48c6842a.jpg

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/Characters/6487E35C-08BA-4C22-930F-E64733E5B38D-261-0000003C32353D36_zps82bcf1e8.jpg

I remain convinced that using the DV bikes is the easiest way to make a Libby on a bike smile.png

I second to that and I actually think that converting characters is the best use of DV bikes in general because their design is too different from the RAS bikes design (position of the banner, design of the RW symbol, look of the bolters, form of the wings...) so it always looks odd when you size up you RW because the models don't fit.

They actually more look like the RWBK bikes...

Hence perfect for a chappy or a Libby joined by a command squad...

Archived