How Do RW/DW Armies Deal with Flyers?

rpnightsend

Our flyers aren't as bad anymore with some of the newest flyers though, they can operate reasonably effectively against the Tau flyers and perhaps the Eldar flyers although their cost is still unfortunate.

Going to be honest here. I'd rather have the eldar flyer with its 2 bright lances and pulse laser (4 S8 shots total) for 20 points cheaper than our Nelephim. Even though it has less armor with vector dancer you never have to leave your deployment zone tongue.png

Our flyers aren't as bad anymore with some of the newest flyers though, they can operate reasonably effectively against the Tau flyers and perhaps the Eldar flyers although their cost is still unfortunate.

Going to be honest here. I'd rather have the eldar flyer with its 2 bright lances and pulse laser (4 S8 shots total) for 20 points cheaper than our Nelephim. Even though it has less armor with vector dancer you never have to leave your deployment zone tongue.png

I'd rather have the Tau Sun Shark bomber. When you take into account the networked markerlight and Interceptor drones, it's like a flying quad gun which can put down a Whirlwind large blast template every turn......oh and its cheaper than the Neph!

I can honestly say that imho Dark Angels anti-air is best done by allies or not at all.....

I'd rather have the Tau Sun Shark bomber. When you take into account the networked markerlight and Interceptor drones, it's like a flying quad gun which can put down a Whirlwind large blast template every turn......oh and its cheaper than the Neph!

I can honestly say that imho Dark Angels anti-air is best done by allies or not at all.....

Ha! I didn't even think of the Tau flyer, another reason ours is a bad take tongue.png

And I agree. You want AA? Take some IG allies and get 3 Vendettas in a squadron. Enjoy that till their new codex comes out and we'll reconvene on what's best to take smile.pngtongue.png

Ha! I didn't even think of the Tau flyer, another reason ours is a bad take tongue.png

And I agree. You want AA? Take some IG allies and get 3 Vendettas in a squadron. Enjoy that till their new codex comes out and we'll reconvene on what's best to take smile.pngtongue.png

Mortis-Pattern Dreadnoughts, perhaps?

Big Approved for 40k stamp, and no requirement for allies.

Forge World isn't looked too kindly upon in my parts unfortunately :(

Forge World isn't looked too kindly upon in my parts unfortunately sad.png

Remember, brother, there's a reason those books weigh 1-2kg or so, if you get my meaning.

I had an idea for what to take as anti-air:

Punch your opponent in the face for being a jerk and playing a totally unfun list to even play against. It's worked well for me so far.

Or use a Dreadsock...... punching can hurt the knuckles msn-wink.gif

Sorry :tu:

Anyway back on topic, rumour has it that the new C:SM AA tank has Skyfire, but not Interceptor, so that it will only be shooting snap-shots at ground targets. Admittedly, it'll be relatively cheap (not much more than a Whirlwind I believe), but I'm wondering if that will limit it's use in an allied detachment. A Storm Talon will not cost too much more, and is dual role....

Sorry thumbsup.gif

Anyway back on topic, rumour has it that the new C:SM AA tank has Skyfire, but not Interceptor, so that it will only be shooting snap-shots at ground targets. Admittedly, it'll be relatively cheap (not much more than a Whirlwind I believe), but I'm wondering if that will limit it's use in an allied detachment. A Storm Talon will not cost too much more, and is dual role....

I wonder if it'll have transport capacity and will functionally serve as a Razorback with a similar point cost with one with an upgraded gun (so around 75). That would make it pretty cool, in my book. Wouldn't matter too much if it could only snapfire at ground targets then as you basically only get to do that with tanks after moving them to begin with, and then you'd have the squad inside to actually do the damage.

Then I don't see why anyone would take it over the WW Hyperios, personally. Unless it has Predator-type AV. That might do it, though lack of Interceptor would still grate.

There's a reason no-one takes Hydras.

It has 2 heavy 4 autocannons with split fire at BS4 (BS 1 vs non skimmer/flyers). The chassis is 12/12/10 (so vector strikes aren't as threatening). Most importantly however it doesn't compete with the similar leman russ exterminator.

Then I don't see why anyone would take it over the WW Hyperios, personally. Unless it has Predator-type AV. That might do it, though lack of Interceptor would still grate.

Because not everyone can use Forge World :P

It has 2 heavy 4 autocannons with split fire at BS4 (BS 1 vs non skimmer/flyers). The chassis is 12/12/10 (so vector strikes aren't as threatening). Most importantly however it doesn't compete with the similar leman russ exterminator.

Eh. So it's pretty damn good AA, total waste of points if your opponent doesn't have any airpower.

Hyperios still seems like a better choice to me, unless you're one of those unfortunates who aren't 'allowed' to take FW bits and/or bobs. Not as good AA, but much better flexibility. Heavy 1 is a shame, though. 

Eh. So it's pretty damn good AA, total waste of points if your opponent doesn't have any airpower.

First, I can't seem to get quotes to behave. Oh well.

Second, if you're running against hyper competitive "GATTA GO FAST WIN NOW" types, it's pretty safe to assume they've got air power, unless there are a large number of people who run Tau in the local scene.

For casual games, yeah, taking it might be a 'waste' I guess. Then again, if a guy was playing a casual IG list and ran into a guy playing Nurgle Daemons or Iyanden Ghost Warriors, he might run into a situation where he literally can't do damage to anything, so, I guess that just comes with the territory of the game.

I think that if a person had to be all DW someone could try running two classic LRs. It's expensive I know but they wouldn't be only for AA. A person could use them to carry five man termie assault squads to their destination. Especially since you'll be firing the weapons as snap shots to start you could run the Land Raiders around moving 12" and shooting at whatever fliers show themselves. The biggest disadvantage here obviously being it's a big points sink to buy the termies and LRs.

• 2 weeks later...

The fortress does work well...   Killed a hellchicken and the tower concealed a command squad long enough to pull in a Vendetta squadron to drop off vets and the command squad in the tower popped out and melta gunned them both down....    

Good day....

Archived