The Ravens of Bahltimyr - consulting the play book...

Aqui

Hello! happy.png

I've been thinking of what army I would like to do next now that I have a good amount of Rainbow Warriors to hand. I still want to do another official Chapter, but have decided to revisit one of my DIY's.

But with a twist.

For those who haven't seen them (and to be fair, there is very little to have seen), one of my DIY's are a Traitor warband, The Bahltimyr Reavers a Raven Guard Successor from the Cursed Twenty-First Founding based on the (American) football team I follow. I'll fill in their background (or at least provide a link to the incomplete IA they have) later, but for now, more about what this topic is about.

I was very excited when the Chaos Codex came out, but fell into apathy when I actually read it. I really wanted to run my Reavers as an Undivided army, but the rule book steers clear of it sad.png

So, after spending many an hour lately working out what I want to do next, the idea came out of the blue like a Thunderbolt.

Do the Ravens before they went traitor!

So, the last few hours have been spent on the B+C's awesome painter and I've narrowed their Chapter colour scheme to the following two:

gallery_51296_5089_42874.jpg

gallery_51296_5089_45645.jpg

The first one looks more like the Baltimore Ravens' colours and I'm inclined to that one.

The colours purple and black are not negotiable as I want them to reflect the Baltimore Ravens' colours (unless I do the BR's alternate uniform colours and that involves a LOT of white *shudder* - I hate painting white!), but I'm very open to comments on what and where the black and purple should go smile.png

The models I was going to use for the Rainbow Warriors' Sternguard unit will go to these guys. I usually start with the Chapter's HQ when painting an army, but I'm still working out how Chapter Master Rai Lurweiss would look/what weapon load out he'd have.

In any case, I'm still in the market for an established (official), rarely seen (as in few modellers collect them) Chapter, although I seriously can't get the Flesh Tearers out of my mind at the moment. So any ideas and suggestions would be greatly received! happy.png

The Flesh Tearers are great. I've almost started them multiple times and one of the first marines I bought in the little paint set I did in their colors, courtesy of a bottle of Mechrite Red I added to the paints that came in the set.

For the Reavers I'm partial to scheme number one myself.

The Flesh Tearers are great. I've almost started them multiple times and one of the first marines I bought in the little paint set I did in their colors, courtesy of a bottle of Mechrite Red I added to the paints that came in the set.

For the Reavers I'm partial to scheme number one myself.

Thought that one was better smile.png

Since my last post I've bashed a few Marines I intend to use as their first Tactical squad:

Group shot:

gallery_51296_8731_216865.jpg

Missile Launcher Marine:

gallery_51296_8731_219519.jpg

I realise that as a Combat squad, they're illegal due to the Missile Launcher, but after assembling him first, he grew on me. The pose was unintentional, but he looks like he's a Quarterback and about to "throw" the ball, which is apt when one remembers how I came to start this DIY Chapter laugh.png

The Triplets:

med_gallery_51296_8731_553291.jpg

I'll give these guys more detailed background as I develop it smile.png

Sergeant Flah'Kuo:

med_gallery_51296_8731_495394.jpg

Sergeant Flah'Kuo is a character who will eventually play a bigger part in the stories I'm writing. I'll add in some more detailed stuff later smile.png

I haven't got any bitz available to make the two main characters for this army yet, although I do have a few ideas in mind. I won't be able to get the parts I want for a while, but they'll be the next two I do after completing this squad happy.png

I'am liking the first pic.started my 2nd sqd of RW.But yeah the 1st one looks cool.

I'll keep an eye out for them smile.png

The first scheme gets the Ace Debonair seal of approval, for what it's worth.laugh.png

Add the fact they're on a laptop with the B&C in the background and your models immediately earn bonus awesome-points!biggrin.png

They'll get more if the next shots have the Liber in the background ( msn-wink.gif )

The first scheme gets the Ace Debonair seal of approval, for what it's worth.laugh.png

Worth a fair bit. As a member of the Heraldry department, I value your input laugh.png I'm leaning toward a variation of the Raven Guard Chapter badge, or a variation (simplified) of the Baltimore Ravens'.

Add the fact they're on a laptop with the B&C in the background and your models immediately earn bonus awesome-points!biggrin.png

They'll get more if the next shots have the Liber in the background ( msn-wink.gif )

I'll bear that in mind msn-wink.gif

The idea for the badge sounds good, having reviewed the source material. A side-on, streamlined raven head might be the way forward.turned.gif

Also this made it to the third page in just two days of inactivity. The WIP forum sure is a busy place!blink.png

The idea for the badge sounds good, having reviewed the source material. A side-on, streamlined raven head might be the way forward.turned.gif

Also this made it to the third page in just two days of inactivity. The WIP forum sure is a busy place!blink.png

It's always the case around ETL - a massive surge of posting! laugh.png I have a day off Saturday (which was mainly going to be spent on writing related stuff), but I might have time to at least get the base coat done for them happy.png

Id say Aquilanus, take the second colour scheme. More purple more fun! biggrin.png

Maybe, but I remember the last time I did a mini in mainly purple. It was not a good look blink.png

I've got a few of those cheap £5 for 3 Marine boxes, so I might have a go at painting one in purple for comparison

Also, regarding my thoughts on another Chapter, I've been catching up on the Iron Hands discussion topic elsewhere and it's really re-ignited my love for my first army, the Steel Wings (their original incarnation was created over 20 years ago and they had Blue armour and a Primarch - "Aquilanus" laugh.png ), so as well as doing Flesh Tearers, I'll be starting again from scratch with them and recycling the mini's for bitz etc as I go along.

My wallets going to Gorram hate me for that! laugh.png

I vote for the 2nd scheme too.

laugh.png

I'll have a trial run tomorrow and see what they both look like.

In the mean time, I'll have to see what my HQ's weapon options will be. The Chapter Master, Rai Lurweiss in my own eyes doesn't really fit with Shrike's. I want to be true to the way the Raven Guard are, despite the Ravens hating them (in their IA I'm doing, as a Cursed Founding Chapter, the Raven Guard are horrified about the Geneseed tampering and have rejected the Ravens. The Ravens did not take that well...)

As a Chaplain (and eventually a Dark Apostle of sorts) Hr'Boor is far easier to model, however.

It'll come to me soon enough smile.png

I will like this, but only once a Ray Lewis-inspired Marine doing his trademark dance appears.

I'm not sure 40k will ever be ready for that! (although the Chapter Master Rai Lurweiss might be a good opportunity to try something!) laugh.png

I'll see what I can do! msn-wink.gif

I find myself thinking that the first scheme looks better. My only suggestion is maybe keep everything as is in plan 1, but change the torso to purple?

Either way, I think they'll look great on the field thumbsup.gif

Seriously though, you've got to do one thing - green-stuff and paint all the missiles to look like footballs! :P

I find myself thinking that the first scheme looks better. My only suggestion is maybe keep everything as is in plan 1, but change the torso to purple?

Either way, I think they'll look great on the field thumbsup.gif

Seriously though, you've got to do one thing - green-stuff and paint all the missiles to look like footballs! tongue.png

The torsos in purple would be a good compromise thumbsup.gif

I was going to have a few helmets on HQ/Sergeant bases painted in the colours of the rest of the NFL teams.

Special attention to the 49'ers, the Indianapolis Colts and others who they've met at the playoffs msn-wink.gif

Aren't they all purple and tiny bit black, with a reversed alternate scheme? Number two looks the more accurate, but I don't know. The combos just feel off.

I was messing around with the painter myself and I came up with this one:

sm.php?b62c=@hnsaQ_hk8Yt.hulWf____.__hIKNn@_@@i8TzJ_@@@@___@___@@@@@@@@@@@@@@__@@@.__@@@_____iakk7&

I can see your point. The Ravens are mainly purple, but I wanted more black to break it up some. The shade of purple you've used isn't quite the right one, but something to think about regarding the layout of colours smile.png

Yeah, I just used the first one I came to so. could show off the layout I was thinking of.

So it's a third option to consider laugh.png

I've been procrastinating...well writing the next part of one of my stories and pondering the next part of the Liber campaign, whilst waiting for the results of the ETL, so an actual painted mini may be a while yet laugh.png

Wheres that painted test model ???

I've been rather preoccupied with getting the next part of a certain story done msn-wink.gif Won't be a big post, but something to get me back on track smile.png

I've got Monday off work, so I'll get it done then happy.png

Archived