The Ravens of Bahltimyr - consulting the play book...

Aqui

• 2 weeks later...

It's taken a lot longer than planned, but I have some progress to report today happy.png I've decided on Cormac Airt's scheme and I quite like how they've come out. The pictures aren't particularly brilliant as I'm still looking for the USB lead to charge my camera dry.png The Marine's were still wet the pictures were taken, so they look shinier than they actually are. The only change I've made to the scheme is to leave the shoulder guard edges black. I realise that a couple have mould lines still on them, but didn't notice until after I uploaded the pictures laugh.png That'll teach me to rush things.

gallery_51296_8731_521322.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_569618.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_320206.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_376358.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_537689.jpg

Still haven't worked out the highlight colour yet. I've used Naggaroth Night with Drakenhof Nightshade for the purple. The black is just Chaos black undercoat with the aforementioned Drakenhof Nightshade to add some depth. I might just use the Naggaroth Night, but I'm not sure it would be light enough. The only other purple I have is from the last range and I'd prefer to use one of the new ones so I don't run the risk of running out. Once they're dry I'll get the chest eagles etc started.

Also not sure what colour to paint the Bolters and Missile Launcher so that they don't get lost in the black armour parts.

Good start brother the purple looks good.thumbsup.gif

Just had a look at them, and the Drakenhof Nightshade has made them a very dark blue dry.png I've applied another thin layer of Naggaroth Night purple over the top and it seems okay now. Unless I can figure out a decent highlight shade (i.e. a colour I can use without using white to lighten it), I'll leave it for now. I prefer not to use white to make other colours lighter as I can never replicate the exact shade consistently, resulting in quite varying shades across the army sad.png

I'll get some more done over the week end, as I want to get a few other things done in the mean time smile.png

Comments etc welcome happy.png

Really have'nt worked with purple and very little with the new paint except a couple of the base colors .I have afew othe old line.About a week ago I found a box full of vallejo paints 10yrs old and still good .found out you can mix the two together so maybe you can look at what they have. 

Really have'nt worked with purple and very little with the new paint except a couple of the base colors .I have afew othe old line.About a week ago I found a box full of vallejo paints 10yrs old and still good .found out you can mix the two together so maybe you can look at what they have.

There is a small hobby shop that sells a few non GW paints (can't remember whether they're Vallejo or P3. I'll take another look on Friday), and I could do with branching out from just using GW ones. In the mean time, I got a small amount of money for my Birthday yesterday, so I'm currently pondering on what unit to get next. I usually start an army with the main HQ, but I still haven't worked out how Lurweiss is going to look. I want a Raven Guard feel, but with a twist happy.png

I like it! Bit proud of myself knowing you went with my proposed scheme. Perhaps I should order myself a heraldry dept hat. ;)

Good luck with getting the right paint. 'fraid I can't help with that. Looking forward to seeing some more gridiron Astartes! Hopefully in the form of some Steelers inspired rivals.

As for the HQ, I got an image of a jump pack equipped Marine poised as if he had just struck the ground. Knees flexed and one hand gesturing downward as if for balance, head looking forward as if the leap had been to get closer to the foe. It's a very aggressive

Raven Guard-like pose that bears resemblance to the the football crouch at the line (whatever it's called, I don't watch it much).

I like it! Bit proud of myself knowing you went with my proposed scheme. Perhaps I should order myself a heraldry dept hat. msn-wink.gif

Ace might need the help, as it seems the Liber is getting busier lately laugh.png

Good luck with getting the right paint. 'fraid I can't help with that. Looking forward to seeing some more gridiron Astartes! Hopefully in the form of some Steelers inspired rivals.

I haven't had a go yet, but I do intend to have a Dreadnought with a fallen Marine on the base in the colours of another NFL team (most likely one that the real Ravens have met in the play offs or at a Superbowl - Patriots/49'ers I'm looking at you! devil.gif )

As for the HQ, I got an image of a jump pack equipped Marine poised as if he had just struck the ground. Knees flexed and one hand gesturing downward as if for balance, head looking forward as if the leap had been to get closer to the foe. It's a very aggressive Raven Guard-like pose that bears resemblance to the the football crouch at the line (whatever it's called, I don't watch it much).

A huddle smile.png I've been trying to think of a posture similar to what you suggested, but incorporate Ray Lewis' pre game dance laugh.png Still not there yet though (any American Frater have any ideas about that? smile.png )

I have a small update. I had to get some new brushes yesterday, but I had to settle for 4/0's (OOOO) as every shop I went to has poorly looked after stock (bent or missing bristles etc dry.png ). I usually go for 3/O (OOO), but in some ways the 4/0 has been good for highlighting. I took the plunge and ordered two 3/0 Windor and Newton Series 7 brushes from an eBay supplier. £11 all in! Getting one brush from W & S' own site is about that without taking the P+P into account.

I had a go at highlighting the Marines and have had some success in getting the line highlighting thinner and more controlled, probably due to the smaller brushes. I've used Xereus purple for the main colour highlighting, Thunderhawk blue for the black highlighting (which I'm not so sure of), with Rakarth Earth and Pallid Wytch flesh for the Sarge's skin. Hopefully a dark wash to add shadows will make the skin look suitable for a Raven Guard successor.

gallery_51296_8731_43552.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_534237.jpg

gallery_51296_8731_322624.jpg

I could have done a fair bit more, but have had various things turn up, so hopefully will get some done on Friday.

Any opinions on the loadout for a fluffy Raven Guard successor Captain, as I want to start on Rai Lurweiss after these Marines. Chaplain (later Dark Apostle) Hr'Boor will be next. The jump pack is set in stone, but whilst I love Lightning Claws, I'd prefer to go a different, but still fluffy, route.

Like it maybe a lighter high light on the blk.Can't help you with the Ray Lewis thing.Been thinking on trying the windsor brush's let me know how you like them and are they worth the cost.

Yeah, I think the Thunderhawk blue is too dark. I tired it as I wanted to give a similar impression of Raven wings when you look at them (reflections of blues, purples etc) I'll repaint them at a later date. I'll certainly post my feelings about the Series 7 brushes. Their reputation is supposed to be well founded, and I couldn't believe how little I got them for. ETA for them arriving here is about a week, which isn't so bad. I'm also currently researching Ray's dance, so hopefully will have an idea how to make his 40k version authentic smile.png

Edit:

I'd like to try to get either this or this pose, as they are ones he's most "famous" for.

Did you pre-order anything .I got the run around from where I  get my stuff from and ended up ordering from GW so didn't get to order all I wanted .I saw that      GW UK web-site still have Death Spectre decal sheets in the army essentials page for space marines.Wonder if they can get them to transfer them to Memphis for some reason they the site won't let me get them from the UK site. sorry for the rant.

Did you pre-order anything .I got the run around from where I get my stuff from and ended up ordering from GW so didn't get to order all I wanted .I saw that GW UK web-site still have Death Spectre decal sheets in the army essentials page for space marines.Wonder if they can get them to transfer them to Memphis for some reason they the site won't let me get them from the UK site. sorry for the rant.

I haven't ordered anything yet. I was going to get either the Successor or Iron Hand limited edition Codex, but I've had so much to pay out I haven't got it spare sad.png Oh well. The main reason why my Rainbow Warriors are on hiatus, is because I want to get the new Codex and ensure that it's still legal before getting other units. I figured in the mean time I'd have a little fun with some spare bitz.

I did notice the Deathspectres transfer sheets on the GW site and thought instantly of you laugh.png I'd have thought they'd be available on your side of the pond sad.png

I love this Aqs! The purple and black scheme is superb.

As for a fluffy ravenguardesqe loadout for your captain, well what about a dual halberd edged fighting stave? Used as counts as lightning claws. You could use either chain blade edged or wicked hooked power blades similar to what redneck boss used on his Raptor counts as shrike.

I know your feeling about the Iron Hands limited edition codex. I have been tempted to get it due to the 10 lonely years of being a Hands devotee. I must admit that the black page edging and silver book mark almost made me spend my mortgage money unwisely! However I Will just be satisfied with the fact that my 3 favourite first founding chapters (Hands, Guard and Scars) were the last to be sold out! Who wants to be a common oaf anyway!

Anyway please keep up this great work brother

Take the second pose, push him over to be almost horizontal, and you got a screaming Space Marine Commander about to jump pack tackle the ever loving censored.gif out of you.

That was the one out of the two I was leaning towards. Looks like I'll be making a fairly large bitz order in the near future laugh.png

I love this Aqs! The purple and black scheme is superb.

As for a fluffy ravenguardesqe loadout for your captain, well what about a dual halberd edged fighting stave? Used as counts as lightning claws. You could use either chain blade edged or wicked hooked power blades similar to what redneck boss used on his Raptor counts as shrike.

Interesting idea smile.png I'll have to see what bitz there are out there to see if I can make something of it. The idea that Cormac has might work with this. I just need to get the positioning right.

I know your feeling about the Iron Hands limited edition codex. I have been tempted to get it due to the 10 lonely years of being a Hands devotee. I must admit that the black page edging and silver book mark almost made me spend my mortgage money unwisely! However I Will just be satisfied with the fact that my 3 favourite first founding chapters (Hands, Guard and Scars) were the last to be sold out! Who wants to be a common oaf anyway!

Anyway please keep up this great work brother

If there was more to them than just the cover and the numbering, I might have crunched the numbers more and got one, but at that price, a fancy cover and being one of 500 to have one, I'd rather just get a generic one and get a few units for this army (and/or the Flesh Tearer army that is still calling to me) and get a HQ done for the last DIY army I haven't got a mini for - the Amber Dragons.

Thanks for the comments smile.png

Forget the flesh tearers just implement all your ideas for them into these lads. Black and red? = Black and purple. Affinity with tearing people up in close combat? = A chapter on its decent to chaos. A chapter that is getting lot of love recently? = Originality and opportunity to put your creative genius to full use. Its a no brainer surely?

Also just thinking after seeing the great contrast with the pale skin. What about white weapons? Ok not so stealthy but ties in with your IH love.

Targetlock - Thanks happy.png I hope that this project will keep my attention as long as my Rainbow Warriors one has (I tend to get so many ideas for so many projects, that I tend to swap quite often, resulting in nothing getting finished).

Forget the flesh tearers just implement all your ideas for them into these lads. Black and red? = Black and purple. Affinity with tearing people up in close combat? = A chapter on its decent to chaos. A chapter that is getting lot of love recently? = Originality and opportunity to put your creative genius to full use. Its a no brainer surely?

Also just thinking after seeing the great contrast with the pale skin. What about white weapons? Ok not so stealthy but ties in with your IH love.

I hear what you're saying mate, but the FT itch harkens back to my Rogue Trader days (which, incidentally I missed out on getting a near mint copy of that rule book today I as I had put a bid for one, forgot about the end of the auction and missed out on it by a pound. A POUND! Grrrrr! £21 plus P+P for a classic book and I forgot! I'm surprised you didn't hear my anguish from Liverpool mate! laugh.png ). I might just do a kitbash of ol' nutcase Seth to be rid of it (for now).

Creative genius? I'm flattered, but I've a way to go before I can be as consistent as your Raptors (in fact I've been through "A Reckless disregard..." quite a few times lately to glean as much about the RG and their most famous successor as possible - I have very big gaps on both the RG and the Raptors) smile.png As for white, well whilst I love to see it on minis, I hate painting it. It never comes out right, although I must have some masochistic tendencies as I'm (very) slowly building a Biel Tan army laugh.png I think the pale skin will be enough for now, although any ideas on what colour to paint the weapons would be good, as black is going to just get lost amidst their armour.

Hopefully, the new NFL season will keep me motivated to keep chipping away at this army, rather than punting the ball (badum-tish! laugh.png ), as I really want to add a few little comic touches to it (such as the previously mentioned footballs a missiles laugh.png ) And once the new Codex comes out, I'll be adding more to my RW's. After all, I have a Company to complete (and recently I've been having insane thoughts about how, now I'm quite near to accomplishing that goal, that I might actually go for the entire Chapter... blink.png )

Insane, I must be insane! laugh.png

Not an update on the minis themselves, but a post about something I've bought recently which I hope will make things easier for me when I'm painting smile.png

Having spent quite a bit on brushes in the last two to three years I've been back into the hobby, I decided recently to splash out and try these brushes. Whilst I try to take as much care of my brushes as possible, it seems that I have to replace them between six months to a year (depending on the use they been put through and where I got them from. Most retailers near me have no regard to the condition of their stock and it shows dry.png ). The brushes I've bought in the past have always been W+N in some form or another, but I decided that perhaps it's a false economy to buy these brushes when it might be better in the long run to get these.

I had taken a look at them on their official website, but after an idle search, I found someone on eBay selling them. Being the sceptical fether I am laugh.png , I did a little research on the seller in question and found enough to satisfy myself that they are on the up and up. I'm glad I did, as I got two 3O (OOO) brushes for a fair bit cheaper than that of the official site, before even taking the postage into account (they both cost me just over £11 including second class postage)

Here is a picture of them smile.png

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q499/Aquilanus/DSC00709_zps832f64da.jpg

I haven't had chance to actually use them yet, but I'll be finishing my Ravens of Bahltimyr models later today (Friday). I'll post my findings and what I think of them once I've had chance to get used to them, along with the minis themselves smile.png They certainly look and feel the part. Who knows, it might help me paint more consistently! (I'm not going to hold my breath though! laugh.png )

Cool they look good a little pricey but then GW is over priced on theirs.I have a artist catalogue that I found in a pile and look if they carry them.Oh and the Army painter brushes are good .

I had considered Army painter ones. Series 7 seem pricey (the site has them at about half price at the moment usually they are about £10-11 each!), but the regular ones I usually get (W+N "Cotman" and "Sceptre Gold II") are £3-5 each, so getting two of these for only a little more was something too good to pass up smile.png

Archived