Index Astartes: Death Company

Entei

@ Xenith - I downloaded it before work but haven't had the chance to read it yet. After a quick scan its litrally describes the Black Rage (in a good amount of detail mind), has a few descriptions of famous occurances (some new, some old) and a minitures showcase towards the end.

I will have a good read of it tonight.

I also downloaded ADB's 'Gaius Point' short story just 'coz it would be rude not to and it was like a pound or something.

Did you guys read "Lost Sons"?  The short story from Swallow.  It's really short, and terribly written just like all of Swallow's stuff.  But in the end of the story the few marines on Baal adorned their armor as the death company, this was before there was a death company or black rage at all as Sangy was still alive and kicking Chaos ass over on Signus Prime.

I was surprised at this bit of ret-con that was, I guess, supposed to be the beginning of the DC.  It will be interesting to see if this DC book explains the beginning any different, or at all.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/lost_sons.html

Guest pandion40

Did you guys read "Lost Sons"?  The short story from Swallow.  It's really short, and terribly written just like all of Swallow's stuff.  But in the end of the story the few marines on Baal adorned their armor as the death company, this was before there was a death company or black rage at all as Sangy was still alive and kicking Chaos ass over on Signus Prime.

I was surprised at this bit of ret-con that was, I guess, supposed to be the beginning of the DC.  It will be interesting to see if this DC book explains the beginning any different, or at all.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/lost_sons.html

The answer to that is in fear to tread. When a blood angel died at the start of the book Raldoran re-paints his armour black using inkstone from the night deserts of Baal Primus. It was suggested this was a death ritual probably from the people of Baal.

The marines in lost sons believed there father and legion was dead and they considered themselves dead men walking. They were planning to commit suicide by attempting to kill as many traitors as possible. So they called on the same ritual that Raldoran used in order to signify their commitment. This same ritual was almost certainly a huge inspiration for the death company post heresy.

Guest pandion40

So not only is Swallow a bad writer, he also steals fluff from Dark Angels? :pinch:

I think that's a stretch. There are similarities to the death wing but i belive such rituals are common amongst tribal people's. though maybe someone who knows more about that could confirm.

Don't get me wrong the fact that swallow seems to have taken personal possession of the BA is one of my biggest beefs with black library. But complaining about this seems like complaining that your carpet is dirty whilst the house is on fire.

Guest pandion40

Wait, was this really written by ADB or Swallow?

Midnight, looking forward to your review.

Index astartes : death company was written by ADB.

Red Fury asked a question about lost suns a Horus heresy short story by swallow. And we got diverted.

I would also be interested in a quick review of Index astartes : death company if anyone has the time.

All of his stuff? I liked the BA Omnibus.

I read "The Flight of the Eisenstein" and "Fear to Tread", both by Swallow, and that was enough.  I personally find his writing style painfully poor, especially in comparison to the other HH writers.  I just can't bring myself to read the BA Omnibus, too bad.

-back on track- yes looking forward to this DC booklet writted by ADB!

As Sun Reaver says, it is only short (but lets not forget it is only cheap). It is well written and certainly is not a regurgitation from old codexes, and goes into a good amount of detail over both the Black Rage and Red Thirst. A couple of new Chapters are mentioned as being extinct (Golden Sons and Crimson Legion), and another two are mentioned with a harsh 'use' of their Death Company; Angels Numinous and....Flesh Eaters!! Thats right, the Flesh Eaters live!! That one sentence alone was worth the price for me!! The Hall of Valour details three famous occurances (Angels Sanguine, Blood Angels and Flesh Tearers)

The minitures showcase is unfortunatly straight from C:BA, but they are quite big and show a lot of detail. The artwork is mostly old but I haven't seen the cover before and that is on a full page further in.

Overall, yes it is only short, but for the low price tag it is a must for anybody who (like me) has a great affiliation with Death company.

Archived