More Rough Rider units

So the idea of cavalry in 40k is a strange one. It's probably the most anachronistic thing I can imagine in a sci-fi setting.  They do strike a very powerful chord in many of us though.  As a species and a culture, we are tied to the animals that helped us become what we are, be they cats, dogs, or horses.  That being said, the rules as they are for Rough Riders are sub-par when set against some of the other Fast Attack options.  We can't get any respectable armor, no option for attaching characters on cavalry, and they are LITERALLY a one-trick pony in regards to their combat ability.  In my local gaming group, I'm sure that no one would mind if I adapted the old 2nd edition rules for RR command squads, or perhaps figured out a house rule cost for giving a Commissar or Priest a horse.  This isn't a big deal.  I was just wondering though if there aren't any resources I haven't thought of. 

I'm curious if there are any ForgeWorld lists with more cavalry options, or even any fan made codexes or such that anyone knows of?  Also, are there any good ally shenanegans out there that would let me take better advantage of my horsies?  I'd love to be able to ally a slaanesh lord on a steed and outflank them, or even add a thunderwolf or two but I don't have my basebook on me and I'm not sure if either of these are battle brother allies. 

I have certainly considered just making 60 Rough Riders to use in a 2000 point double FoC list, and also for any apocalpse games I ever manage to play, but it would be nice to have some more options more often. 

Anyone else feel that there needs to be a better way to represent cavalry in 40k or should I just play fantasy? (mostly joking, but I might have to do that too lol)

The previous DKoK PDF had rules for a death rider command squad, so its a concept that has been explored atleast. I'm not sure if they still feature since the DKoK were updated in the recent Imperial Armour book.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/k/kreig.pdf

On a personal note I also love RR as a unit. Mine are kitbashed together from Victoria miniatures legs and arms, cadian bodies and maximini heads, riding on DE cold ones. My Mogul Kamir rides an old metal carnosaur.

IA12's Krieg Assault list and the pdf on Forgeworld's site for the badly nerfed Krieg Siege list both have Death Rider Platoons as a pretty good Fast Attack choice, although it does has better synergy with the former than the latter.  You get 0-1 Death Rider Command Squadron and 1-5 Death Rider Squadrons per slot.  They are much like your sissy Guard version, but they have Krieg's special rules (+1 WS, not taking morale from 25% shooting losses, regroup as normal near officers) plus they get to reroll dangerous terrain test and have FNP (6+) because their horses have gas masks.  The Command Squadron can also take a Commissar because that model looks abso-frigging-lutely amazing. 

since fasha already gave you all the actuazl imperial guard strategy rules you can use here's a list of potential count as forces:

battlebrothers:

-allied space wolves: 1 hq (take saga of the wolfkin, improving the fenrisian wolves)+ grey hunter pack on foot, use roughriders to count as fenrisian wolves. these have marine stats but only a 6+ save

allies of convenience:

-allied deamons: seekers of slaanesh etc. I can't give you any insight on their stats, but i assume they'll all have a 5+ invunerable save

personally i woudl avoid using the thunderwolf/bloodcrushers/large-base-mounted-models their ruleset since you'll have to use these on a large base, and 1 roughriders on a large base will look rather silly.

I suggest you go over to the deamon subforum and ask around there which deamon models their ruleset might be usefull for you to use

Maybe with a new codex they'll be better - we should expect new models too in theory given GW's new direction with units in a codex and models - but as they stand they're a pretty good "single use" counter assault unit against harder targets. As you'd expect that's pretty situational but should GW finally throw some love to our mounted contingent in the future I'm sure there will be a lot of very happy Guardsmen.

I'd gladly paint some up for ETL III :P

given the fact that roughriders are featured on the apocakypse cover (really cool ones too!) it seems GW certainly hasn't forgotten about them (or atleast their artists).

I really hope they might produce a model similar to those featured on that cover!

Nice sentiments, but you might as well add "chocobo cavalry" and "female Guardsmen" to that list since you're wishlisting... I'd happily be wrong but it feels like it'll never happen :(

There's some more rumblings about Guard rumours but it's all too contradictory at the moment so I'm not giving it too much thought as to the specifics. For example when one batch claims we'll see Baneblades and other Supeheavies in our codex you find it hard to take seriously!

Considering what's come out so far with all the new releases, I suppose we will be getting a giant Monstrous Creature?  Perhaps a Super-Leman-Ogryn-lisk?  Whatever, as long as it has skyfire and a little seat for Creed to ride around on.

No, the IG monstrous creature will be Aquilatron, a large walker made from Sisters of Battle who showed exceptional faith and loyalty to the Emperor and were murdered by the Guardmen for the express purpose of creating an Aquilatron.  The sanctified Sisters' corpses are then stitched together, psychically animated by a Primaris Psyker, and crewed by a Senior Officer, vox operator, Lord Commissar, Priest, and Primaris Psyker.  It will have a rough appearance of a large Dreadknight, but with an open top that seats the crew of five instead of the baby carrier and a large set of "wings" that give it the appearance of a giant walking Aquila made of dead SoBs.

Rules-wise it will grant friendly units from the IG codex within 24" Acts of Faith similar to what the Sisters of Battle have, but superior in every way (automatically successful, no limit to number that can be used, and the effects are chosen by the player from a list of six really useful things, unless Phil Kelly writes the codex, then it will be a random roll for which Act of Faith is given) while having a beefy profile like WS4 BS6 S6 T6 W6 I5 A4 Ld10, Sv2+/4++, armed with a twin-linked gatling battle cannon (similar to a normal battle cannon, but 36" range and ordnance 4) and a power fist with built in Quadgun, identical to the Aegis Defense line option, with the option to upgrade either or both weapons to a variety of different options to handle all situations.  It will only cost around 100 points base and come in squadrons of 1-5 per Heavy Support, while the model has a $125 price tag.

Fasha..

So should I hold out for one of those? how many can I have? Are they a fast attack choice?

Or should I get more death riders?

I'm on a small budget and I want to get the best unit for my money.

lol...whistling.gif

Hehe, poor GW. So mercilessly eviscerated for some truly awful prose... not entirely undeserved though as at some point some lunatic must have given the ok for it.

Back to more appropriate topic musings: one of my friends modelled up a Rough Rider by using the Sentinel pilot's legs with a bit of modification and GS. Looked quite good and was a good use of the spare bits (I model all my Sentinels as closed top) and of course viable for any GW mount (Cold Ones in this case) but I think it was quite a bit of effort as he only ended up doing one.

I think they're cool so even with relatively unexciting rules I still want to field them (plus as a devoted Guard commander I want all their models... even the ridiculously expensive Ogryns eventually) but the old models aren't appealing to me. My regiment wears Cadian pattern armour so that's also what I'd want on my horses/lizards/insects/giant moles/etc.

I'll have to post some pictures (assuming I ever paint one) but I made some Cadian Rough Riders using some third party horses and samurai legs. The idea of lower body armor makes sense for guardsmen (plus I've modeled carapace if it ever becomes an option again.) The waist up is Cadia except some of the models have High Elf spears. Most are just packing las pistols because that felt more in line with how I pictured Cadians using horses, small arms and grenades abounding.

I'll chuck in my rough riders:

Rough1.jpg

These where made from empire pistoliers and guardsmen.

The only thing i did was modify the pistolier legs to not have armour and make it look like normal cloth pants.

But you can do whatever you want offcourse and use whatever empire horse

agreed! as a rider myself, riding like that, even with underwear on will open your legs! I can't image the dammage it would inflict if you weren't wearing any underwear!ermm.gif

model wise they rock though!thumbsup.gif

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that.  Maybe I could putty nice little pillows underneath them? I'm surprised that didn't occur to me though...it's the same reason I have hesitated to include storm troopers.  I can imagine kilted drop troops would be....NSFW to say the least.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that.  Maybe I could putty nice little pillows underneath them? I'm surprised that didn't occur to me though...it's the same reason I have hesitated to include storm troopers.  I can imagine kilted drop troops would be....NSFW to say the least.

Easy fix to make your Stormtroopers family friendly is to have them dive head first into battle with their legs together and kilts firmly plastered to their thighs by the wind.  Never you mind the fact that the flying stands will imply a rather messy deep strike mishap...

Some good work here, I would say giving me a few ideas but by the time I'd get round to experimenting GW would have released new Rough Rider models...

As for the kilts, surely the Emperor could set a new rule of the wearing of underwear during battle. It could be called the Glasgow Edict :P

don't bother with it! perhaps they use some special oils/gels that prevent such things from happening! and now i really think you should do those stormtroopers! of only for fun! but really pull the joke!

Archived