Help of the Lantinate variety

Honda

On number two, the historical handbook for Catholics prosecuting the Spanish Inquistion was the Malleus Maleficarum: "The Witches' Hammer."

1. Written by catholic inquisitor-monk. Protestant "witch hunters" used it though and that's why it became infamous.

2. Spanish Inquistion, wot? Book was written by german, it has almost nothing to do with Spain.

3.It's Hammer of Witches not Witches' Hammer.

1. Tempestus Furore - this just popped into my head. What I am looking for is the equivalent of "Fury of the Storm" or "Storm's Fury". I think that Tempestus means storm, but not sure if my head just 40K'd what I thought "fury" translated to.

2. Malificarum Mallus - I'm borrowing from Edward Longshanks nickname, Scotus Mallus, which I think translates to "Hammer of the Scots" What I am looking for is something that says "Hammer of Witches", but indicating that the item is used on witches. So the first need is, what is a decent word for "witches"? Is it maleficarum? I also know that I could shift to Venator, to indicate a hunter of witches, but I'm leaning more towards a weapon vs. an individual (i.e. a hunter).

3. Imperium Mallus - . Now the problem with Imperium Mallus is that it seems that "Hammer of the Imperium" would indicate that the item that bears this name is an opponent of the Imperium, which is the opposite of my intent. This item will be prosecuting the Imperium's will. So, what are my options here?

Cheers,

1. Furor tempestatis (or tempestatis furor)

2. As said, Malleus Malificarum is the ready-made phrase.  If you want to avoid the alliteration, you could swap lamiarum for malificarum, which has a relatively limited context as "witch" or "female black magic practitioner" in classical Latin.  A lamia is also sorta a bogey, which one might include in a kid's story.

3. You've hit upon the ambiguity, as Karden00 notes, of the objective versus the subjective genitive.  IMPERII MALLEUS could be "the hammer owned/used by the Imperium" or it could be "the hammer used against the Imperium".  (Like "love of God" in English...is it love we have of God or God's love for us?  Exactly the kind of thought experiment one torments students with.)

Karden's solution of using a genitival adjective is the most clear: IMPERIALIS MALLEUS (although imperialis is infrequent in classical Latin).  Personally I think the adjectival form sounds better than the genitive noun because it has internal rhyme of the -al- syllable.

Excellent! Thank you everyone, once again.

I think I'm going to run with Tempestatis Furor and Imperialis Malleus. I like how they flow phonetically.

Cheers,

• 7 months later...

"Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to speak with you again..."

I think this is a simple one this time, but...

Background: Working on a story. It involves Unification Wars, IVth Legion. The phrase I want to use is "of Iron", but in Latin.

I don't know if that translates to "de ferrus" or something  else. Latin is such an interesting animal to observe in the wild.

So, if someone knowledgeable could lend  a "Latin" hand, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Cheers,

It’s not ‘de ferrus,’ though it’s easy to see why you’d go there, just that’s not quite how Latin works.

De in Latin is primarily used as a preposition, so it’s not like French where the de or du might convey the meaning ‘of.’

In Latin literature, de is often used as a way of saying “On,” so Lucretius’s poem, De Rerum Natura is translated as ‘On the Nature of Things.’ Similarity when Caesar wrote his commentaries on the Gallic War, he called them Commentarii De Bello Gallico, or Commentaries on the Gallic War. So in Latin, de means ‘on’ or another way you could say it in English would be to translate de as ‘regarding,’ so, regarding the Gallic war, or regarding the nature of things.

Of iron is actually very simple. It’s just the noun, ferrum, in its genetive form, which is simply ‘ferri’ (if I am correct). Not very poetic I suppose, but simple.

"Ex" always takes the ablative, would shorten to "e" since "ferrum" begins with a consonant, and already implies motion. So "e ferro" would mean something like "[they came] out from the iron," maybe implying that iron gave birth to them or something? It feels like a weird thing to say in Latin. The adjectival form Ovidius suggested makes the most sense.

Archived