First in, last out - a Rogue Trader style Space Sharks log

LtSwifty

Hi there

In this log i'll be assembling and painting Space Sharks. I like the Forgeworld update of them but my inner contrarian decided that basing the army on their rogue trader counterpart would allow me to make a more unique looking army - expect alien allies, non GW walkers instead of dreads, etc.

As seems to be par for the course with all Space Shark forces, they will all be either beaked helmets or no helmets at all - exceptions being terminators. This is mainly a reclamation project of all of the marines I've amassed over the years of drifting in and out of the hobby. The end goal is a decent 3200 point force fully painted and based - once that's completed i'll be treating myself to a Warhound titan to bring it up to 4000~.

But, that's all in the far off future. Right now i have a test model completed, as pictured:

http://i42.tinypic.com/29zugxj.jpg

Apologies for the less than ideal pic, it was taken without natural lighting in my haste to get this log finally up and running. The model has since been glued to his base instead of being blu-tac'd. I wanted to do some kind of dust weathering near his feet/lower legs to tie him onto the base, but i'm not sure which way would be the best - i thought just drybrushing some yellow onto them could provide the effect i'm after, but if anyone has any suggestions/inspiration pictures before i potentially ruin my test model, i'd be very thankful.

The bases will also have some of the army painted wasteland tufts glued onto them once i get a mispurchase of the highland tufts from my FLGS cleared up. Also in my haste to get it primed i neglected to check humidity levels and so the first primer came out dusty and bobbly. Managed to clear most of it off with a healthy soak in some fairy power spray but there was still some left on unfortunatly - serves me right for rushing the most important step!

Anywho, thanks for reading my wall of text, preview pictures of techmarines with conversion beamers and other cool stuff incoming.

Please tell me all your beakies will have shark mouths painted on them.

Haha, i'm planning to reserve shark mouths for the terminators and a couple of marines per squad. Too many i'm afraid opponents of less than stellar resolve would simply faint as memories of the Jaws movies resurfaced. 

Hmm...now i need to put "we're going to need a bigger boat" on one of the vehicles.

Looks like I am not the only one doing the return to rogue trader thing. trying to get 1000heathens into it and show him how cool the 41st can be!

I will prolly do silver skull or a badab chapter

I'll be watching this. oh, are you actually using the Rogue trader book or just the Scheme/feel?

Looks like I am not the only one doing the return to rogue trader thing. trying to get 1000heathens into it and show him how cool the 41st can be!

I will prolly do silver skull or a badab chapter

I'll be watching this. oh, are you actually using the Rogue trader book or just the Scheme/feel?

Good luck with getting Heathens back into it.  I read his post in your Deathwatch recruiting topic and almost cried earlier.  I wouldn't let him look at those weird new models GW is putting out with the codex next month, he's likely to put an eye out.  PM me if I can be any help getting him back into modeling.

LtSwifty that's a good looking start to your Space Sharks and the use of MK VI helmets is a fantastic idea.  I would also like to see the sharks mouth painted on every helmet but it is your choice ultimately.  All of these new Sharks threads make me want to dust off the 5 marines I started a few years ago and get an army of them painted.  I'm glad that I bought the FW transfer sheet when I did in case I can't resist the urge any longer.

These I look forward to!

Good start with the first dude, strong shade of grey. Not sure about the base though, he definatly needs some dust or some such around his ankles to tei it in like you say.

Oh, and don't forget the RT moto's daubed on the armour, things like "Kill" and "Prepare too Die" teehee.gif

Thanks for all of the replies guys! Got my first 600 point list sorted out, so i'll be working to that - MoTF w/ conversion beamer and a few servitors, Sniper scouts, Rifleman Dread and a tac squad in a rhino.

I love this. O, and I'd name one of the Land Raiders (or maybe a thunderhawk if you're not messing around) 'The Bigger Boat'

Inspired! I'll defiantly be doing this. The Land Raider will also have shark mouth & eyes.

LtSwifty that's a good looking start to your Space Sharks and the use of MK VI helmets is a fantastic idea. I would also like to see the sharks mouth painted on every helmet but it is your choice ultimately. All of these new Sharks threads make me want to dust off the 5 marines I started a few years ago and get an army of them painted. I'm glad that I bought the FW transfer sheet when I did in case I can't resist the urge any longer.

Wish i'd bought it earlier aswell. Emailed Forgeworld about it being out of stock and they've said that they ordered in 3 years worth of stock on all their transfer sheets and won't be ordering any more due to a lack of space in their warhouses. Ridiculous.

Looks like I am not the only one doing the return to rogue trader thing.

Just the scheme and feel. I'll be using the modern space sharks logo.

Anywho, some pics!

Marine & Rhino

The Rhino is still in progress - still got to paint up the storm bolter, hunter killer missile and the decal on the white circle on the door. I went too bright on the dust weathering for the Rhino, so i'll one or two of the highlight layers off for future vehicles. You can also see the weathering on the lower legs of Testy the marine to the side.

Space Shar 005

Space Shar 006

Some pictures of the graffiti the crew/squads have scribbled on.

MoTF w/ Servitors

Wires!

And some WiP pictures of my MoTF with Conversion Beamer, and his squad of "servitors" wink.png
Again, thanks for all the replies, they really help keep me motivated.

Edit: Pictures came out a tad small, click on them and then click them again to zoom in a bit.

I have more or less been lurking for almost two years now on the BnC since my last post.
That being said, I so whole-heartedly embrace what you're doing that I needed to leave the shadows and commend you. 

Space Sharks FREAKING rule, and doing it right via beakie and baldie makes me even happier.  There are few shark friends left who haven't gone uber-cool carcharodon.  

I have more or less been lurking for almost two years now on the BnC since my last post.

That being said, I so whole-heartedly embrace what you're doing that I needed to leave the shadows and commend you.

Space Sharks FREAKING rule, and doing it right via beakie and baldie makes me even happier. There are few shark friends left who haven't gone uber-cool carcharodon.

Wow, thanks! I do like the Carcharodons update but i think the old Space Sharks have a ton more character. Plus the whole "They hate xenos like a Black Templar hates psykers" didn't really fit for what i had in mind with the army.

Some pictures of the finished Rhino. Well, still needs a name and i need to practice free handing the decal before i commit, but otherwise she's finished. Click on the pics to make 'em bigger, etc.

Space Sharks 001

Space Sharks 002

A little closeup of the oil/fumes weathering i did near the exhausts.

Space Sharks 003

Little graffiti i added at the last minute

Edit: Almost forgot a shot of the hunter killer missile power pack:

Space Sharks 005

Ideas for her name would be appreciated thanks.gif

In the next update, the first tac squad, which may or may not feature shark teeth!

Got the first combat squad painted up, Dreadnaught and Scouts next.

I'm going to be using chainswords as a sign of office instead of big unwieldy back banners, trying to make the veterans look like they've been through a few wars.

Space Sharks 003

Space Sharks 007

Space Sharks 008

Space Sharks 010

My take on the "Beaky dude running forward with a special weapon" that everyone seems to have. Shark teeth!

Space Sharks 005

Space Sharks 006

I tried using some brightness/contrast boosts on GIMP, tell me if i went too far.

@Aquilanus, Kierdale and A Kvlt Ghost;

Thankyou for the words of encouragement! 

Hmm, looking pretty good, but I still dislike the shade of that weathering powder.

On a different note, no shoulder iconography?

Thanks for the reply!

Weathering: What do you not like about it? Too bright? Too dark? Are the bases also too light/dark aswell? I wanted to go for quite a contrasting colour as, loathe as i am to admit, the Space Sharks have a lovely but very basic colour scheme. I wanted quite a bit of colour on them to make them "pop" a bit more. Is it too much of a contrast?

Shoulder Icons: I was having a bit of a crisis on this one. The Rogue Trader one just didn't sit right with me, but the Carcharodons one didn't have any of that rogue trader flare to it. i've finally found a compromise between the two by trawling about on google: 

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/185/a/c/Space_Sharks_banner_by_40_Kun.jpg

Image is massive so I've decided to just do a link. The Shark in the middle is what i'm going to go with - It's still got that rogue trader feel to it, but has been updated so that it doesn't look too goofy. Compliments to the artist, it's a great retake on a classic. I'll be painting up the finished marine+rhino with it and will post a pic of the full squad of 10 graffiti'd and decal'd in a few days.

The goofiness of the RT Era Space Shark symbol is kind of nostalgic, but really I have to agree that it's just too damn silly teehee.gif That one looks better.

The weathering powder is too bright, in my opinion. A sort of dog-poo-yellow-brown. I think you could use a darker shade without it just disappearing into the gray. Having the weathering on the feet be the brightest, most eye catching part of the model probably isn't a good idea, anyway. That's what you have the white and red bits for smile.png

The goofiness of the RT Era Space Shark symbol is kind of nostalgic, but really I have to agree that it's just too damn silly teehee.gif That one looks better.

The weathering powder is too bright, in my opinion. A sort of dog-poo-yellow-brown. I think you could use a darker shade without it just disappearing into the gray. Having the weathering on the feet be the brightest, most eye catching part of the model probably isn't a good idea, anyway. That's what you have the white and red bits for smile.png

Haha, yeah, i was thinking it looks a bit like cheeto dust. Hmm...i'll try going over it with first colour of the weathering to see if that darkens it down.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta pipe in! First, the ole schoool look is yankin' at my heartstrings. Second, I'm a huge fan of the gross yellow weather because it makes me say 'hey, that vehicle needs a wash right away.". 

Also, Rhino name? "Purse of Death". "Yet Another Sharp Tooth VII" or insert number. Just number them all various sharp teeth. Sharks have so many teeth, space sharks? Doubly so. 

And the cheese, I say cheese is the duck liver of 40k. When you know how to cook it, you can't offend. The dish is too busy being delicious. 

Shark is also delicious. Rhino name: "Delicious",

"Education" (You know, cuzz sharks eat schools of fish, so the fish can't get no education). 

"Tornado" (Because Space Sharks get INTO IT and then get taken somewhere else to kill. Amiright?)

• 2 months later...

Archived