artillery for a IG noob..

I just started my first ig army. I have plans for a fluffy fallen angels list. Being a former artilleryman im kinda drawn to that aspect of ig. while I've been playing since the rogue trader era, I havent played ig before or against them more than a couple of times so any input would be appreciated.

what I've been thinking of is a small contingent of either chaos or DA with my main force being what infantry and heavy guns.

please keep in mind that I literally just started this army. currently all I have is a company command squad in a unit of 10 troops. I will have to build this army so I'm open to suggestions. here is my rough idea for an artillery company.

CCS in chimera

2 or 3 foot infantry platoons loaded up with grenade launchers, 2 mortar heavy weapons quads and in autocannon heavy weapon squad ea.

3 LRs with two main battle tank and 1 executioner

3 colossus tanks

3 madusa tanks.

ADL

12-18 mortars, 7-10 autocannons(plus quadgun), 8 pieplates and 5 plasma blasts. It looks tough on paper.

What do you think? Is it competitive or cheese? Is it worth the investment? What should I change?

Speaking as a guy who uses colossi and medusae frequently, I'd say that it's not that bad. Personally, I'd drop the chimera for extra points for more troops or upgrades to the CCS. I'd suggest adding a Master of the Ordnance, as it would certainly help with this Siege Regiment you've got going here. Also, I'd drop the executioner for a Veteran squad with plasma if you're worried about Termies deepstriking in your lines.

A note: with the infantry, it's best to blob them up if you're staying static, and to discourage deepstrikers space them 2" apart as much as you can. Once their reserves are gone/no reserves, you don't need to blob up, but I'd still advise doing so to help protect heavy weapons in the squads.

As an avid Krieg player, I approve thumbsup.gif! The only way you could make that list better would be to run the Krieg list and use actual artillery unit types instead of the SPG the Guard Codex offers. If you want to build the army as you have it there, but still want to try out the real artillery, I suggest making the guns on your Medusi removable and scratch build an artillery carriage mount for them. It is a fairly easy conversion and then you can either look to the Forgeworld Heavy Mortars and Thudd Guns or to scratch building your own. The Colossi are fine as is in either list and really the only unit that does not fit is Chimera as the Siege Company list lacks it. However, you could also run this list using the IA12 Krieg Assault list and using the models you will own. The only drawback to either Krieg list is not being able to combine squads and in the case of the free .pdf, you cannot issue orders per RAW since they left out part of the rules in their rushed copy-paste, despite the clear intent that you can. The only thing you should really consider adding is a regimental standard, as it does keep you on the table longer.

I was definitely taking a master of ord. and an officer of the fleet for the reserve roll manipulation. All flamers and an autocannon too. Why should I get rid of the chimera? These guy are a priority target arnt they?

And the exicutioner is the bane of deep strikers. I know its expensive but whats wrong with it?

Are the mortars any good? I like the imagery of them raining down blasting holes in my enemies infantry. With the auto cannons and big guns popping transports setting up for the mortars to finish up their passengers.

That army list is a thing of beauty. Argun has some good points for tweaking it. If you're spending lots of points on tasty artillery then you really want a lot of PBI to support and protect them. Plus an artillery/infantry regiment looks cool :D

I'd go with flamers too, ignoring BS rolls is handy and they're not expensive. Mortars are brilliant, they're cheap and effective even against armoured foes. With lots of them your relentless barrage will ensure there is nowhere to hide! Pinning is great too, especially for an army like yours that would benefit greatly from every enemy unit not advancing on you.

As for "discouraging" deep strikers there's only so much you can do with unit placement before you start hindering yourself. The best thing to do it have something sitting by your valuable units waiting to jump on anything deploying in. The Executioner is a good tank but harder to protect and there's risk of friendly scatter. A Banewolf is a great counter unit (as discussed elsewhere) but if you're worried about Terminators then a Plasma Veteran squad is what you'll need.

Thanks for the replies.

So if I drop the executioner. What should I replace it with? A third LR-MBT? And what about pask is he worth the extra points?

now I plan to screen my colossus and madusa tanks with the LRs. Should I take camo netting on the arty pieces? The extra coversave bonus is nice but for an additional 180pts it dont seem worth it.

My allies will most likely be...

Chaos lord (Cypher)

A unit of plague marines(death guard)

A unit or two of csm(renegade marines)

Maybe a defiler or obliterators.

I can run pretty much any power armor allied contingent. I have about 10k pts of DA and about 6k of chaos.

how could I best compliment the ig force? Currently im not worried about the points cost of anything. Im gonna build it first then modify accordingly for differing point limits.

Oh I love the DCoK. I just cant afford that much FW.

As we've suggested, drop the executioner, grab a squad or two of Veterans. Those can take 3 plasma/melta guns apiece, and with BS4, are one of the most accurate things in the Guard codex. Pask is a nice upgrade, but I'd relegate him to either a Punisher (very fun), Exterminator (4 shot, TL autocannons), or Vanquisher (Basically a meltagun with 72" range, doesn't have Melta rule). He's quite good in those tanks because he ups their BS by 1, and if he stays still, gets +1 to armor penetration, or re-rolls to wound on Monstrous Creatures.

the lsit you wrote down is about 2500 pts. at such levels i think it's better to run double force organisation charts. so how about getting a second company command squad and some veterans as argun suggested. you can then run all your artillery as seperate units 

A very good point, as we've talked about somewhere else Veterans are very nice in the Guard army but when you've got Marines stomping around who do the same job better they're not as useful. In this case though you're looking for a unit to defend your artillery deployment and scare off/destroy any sneaky reserves deployment by your opponent. Do you really want some valuable Marines sitting around when you could have some Veterans do it for you?

That and it would be more appropriate for your Guard allies to look after their own stuff :P

deathguard make excellent protection! those are hard as nails and definetly will outperform veterans in this scenario in my opinion

offcourse adding in deathguard would make this a 3000 pts list. that's more going towards apocalypse then your usual battle. Unless you usually play these high pts value games in your neighborhood?

I prefer higher point games and kill team games. Kill teams is like 20 minute 40k. Great for when you don't have a lot of time. When I do get the time though.. 2k+. Not to mention that im used to playing marines(24yrs) and at low points marines suck.

When you've been playing for a long time, collecting tons of cool toys. Its pretty bad ass to drop 5k+ on the table. The game seems to balance out better in higher point games.(barring super heavies and titans)

Im building my army to eventually play apocalypse sized games.

I really like fashathedogs idea of making the madusa and colossus guns removable. The DKoK style is kind of what im envisioning.

Ok I think im going to go with something like this...

ig 2999pts.

Hq.

CCS + straken(strakens stats are very similar to a marine. I think I will use a fallen angel as a counts as straken.)

2 flamers, vox, MoO, auto cannon, camo cloaks,

Troops

1st Plt

Plt CS

Vox, gl,ac

10x Infantry

Vox, gl, ac

10x infantry

Gl, ac

10x infantry

Gl, ac

Hws

3x mortars

Hws

3x mortars

Hws

3x mortars

2nd plt

Pcs

Vox, 2xflamer,

10x infantry

Vox, gl, ac

10x infantry

gl, ac

10x infantry

gl, ac

Hws

3x mortars

Hws

3x mortars

Hws

3x Ac

Heavy

2x lrbt

1x vanquisher

lascan, plas spons, pask, Camo nets

2x colossus

Camo nets

2x colossus

Fort.

ADL

Q-gun

Chaos allies.

Hq.

dark apostle

(brother redemptor malikeil) fallen dark angel.

MoN, VotLW.

Cypher (3rd ed rules) 151

Mc Plasma pistol, Mc bolt pistol,c'tan blade

Elite.

7x Plague marines

2x plasma

Troops

20x cultist (cc)

20x cultist(shooty)

2x flamers

I may go another route. Instead of infantry platoon. I might use 5 vet squads and try to fit in more artillery.

I am absolutely loving those hazard stripes! A little note: if you're ever going to put rebreathers on guys with heads not facing forwards, just chop it off from the hose, and put the bit on the face. Save the bottom (and hose) for another time, for another conversion!

Archived