Traitor Raven Guard?

Larkyn

I like the idea. Since there are staunch loyalist among the great traitor legions, why shouldn't there be some traitors in the other legions?

The post-deliverance RG are former rebels and freedom fighters, no? If you aproach them shellschocked and make them believe that they were duped and cast aside by the powers that be, you might turn them even before any warp shenanigans. That would seem pretty Alpha Legion MO to me. And once you are on the dark side's slippery slope, well...

Heathens has it spot on how I would do any survivor army.

Also Cormac mentioned an author called Joseph Campbell, his work on mythology is fantastic and I would recommend The Hero With a Thousand Faces. A real eye opener to the underlying similarities in myths and religions and the human condition that spawned them. Mine has a forward by Lorgar...

In my head, this is what I'm seeing:

Your particular group sees your primarch's ship get shot down as they are escaping. Assuming that their father is dead, the group ceases to care about anything other than revenge. They gather who they can (maybe a sallie or iron hand amongst them), bury themselves deep in warmaster held territory, and begin waging a guerrila war like no other (aka, they can't recieve word that the primarch is indeed alive). They would be constantly on the edge of going overboard with their tactics, choking with dark emotion and suffering, slaughtering the warmasters supporters in vicious ways. In their emotional darkness, they might fall back into ancient cultural methods/roots of their leader (maybe a Terran? Or possibly a ancient system of a preserved dark culture that survived slavery on Deliverence?) Always toeing the line, hands shaking, marking their plate in the old ways (white and black warpaint would look nice), blackened blades slathered with the blood of ignorant innocents, who were foolishly following Horus, not recognizing the threat, but suffering the wrath of broken, screaming shadows who can barely keep themselves in check.

Tap into that potentail sorrow, pain, and sense of righteous revenge. A Legion of tyrant-killers shadowed in horror and sadness, walking a fine line between vengeance and damnation.

Heathens, that is genius. Except that doesn't jive with being traitors, per se. Still, that sounds awesome.

Your particular group sees your primarch's ship get shot down as they are escaping. Assuming that their father is dead, the group ceases to care about anything other than revenge. They gather who they can (maybe a sallie or iron hand amongst them), bury themselves deep in warmaster held territory, and begin waging a guerrila war like no other (aka, they can't recieve word that the primarch is indeed alive). They would be constantly on the edge of going overboard with their tactics, choking with dark emotion and suffering, slaughtering the warmasters supporters in vicious ways. In their emotional darkness, they might fall back into ancient cultural methods/roots of their leader (maybe a Terran? Or possibly a ancient system of a preserved dark culture that survived slavery on Deliverence?) Always toeing the line, hands shaking, marking their plate in the old ways (white and black warpaint would look nice), blackened blades slathered with the blood of ignorant innocents, who were foolishly following Horus, not recognizing the threat, but suffering the wrath of broken, screaming shadows who can barely keep themselves in check.

Tap into that potentail sorrow, pain, and sense of righteous revenge. A Legion of tyrant-killers shadowed in horror and sadness, walking a fine line between vengeance and damnation.

Heathens, that is genius. Except that doesn't jive with being traitors, per se. Still, that sounds awesome.

Kinda my point, it's neutral. A hazy grey. Now, just push it left or right, purity or darkness.... or tightwalk across hell as your rope singes....

Heathens has it spot on how I would do any survivor army.

Also Cormac mentioned an author called Joseph Campbell, his work on mythology is fantastic and I would recommend The Hero With a Thousand Faces. A real eye opener to the underlying similarities in myths and religions and the human condition that spawned them. Mine has a forward by Lorgar...

The Hero With a Thousand Faces is incredible. Also check out The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler where he expands on Cambell's work. It really helps you master the beats of good story telling if you'd like to polish stories.

Now THAT is a stressor right there! Bad ass idea heathens. In the sense of righteous vengeance is a slippery slope into corruption through constant emotions of wrath. Indeed, this'd be a great way to bring in some Khorne elements if you want.

You could take a note from the novel Deliverance Lost. Alpha Legion infiltrators who, while still Alpha Legion, are skin grafted and imposed memories of Raven Guard shortly after the Dropsite Massacre, and even helped during the fighting around Istvaan as Raven Guard..

You could take a note from the novel Deliverance Lost. Alpha Legion infiltrators who, while still Alpha Legion, are skin grafted and imposed memories of Raven Guard shortly after the Dropsite Massacre, and even helped during the fighting around Istvaan as Raven Guard..

Please. I beg of you. No.

Archived