Imperial Fists test minis (2009 & 2013)

Terrahawk

With the anticipation of the new SM 'dex, I decided to the enter the world of painting yellow once again. I tried to get into the Fists back in 2008-2009, but decided my painting skills couldn't do 'em justice. Hopefully they look better today. biggrin.png

Guess which one was painted today and which one 2009?

med_gallery_29113_5897_83148.jpg

And only the latest one:

med_gallery_29113_5897_644297.jpg

And yeah, I'm aware I skipped highlights for the test mini. Gonna buy some Dorn Yellow if I decide to really pursue this project again.

It looks good, a nice clean smooth yellow :) I can see marked improvements in technique. As a fists painter myself (I too might make a new army when I get a hold of the new codex) I appreciate it can still be a challenge, even with how improved the paints themselves have become.

Agreed though, a few highlights, and then a glaze to bring it together would look fab.

I have to agree the yellow is very bold and consistent, really nice work. :tu:

Perhaps a little bit of the wash to bring out the join between the tip of the visor and the mouth grill might work to break up the face a bit more but really great job all the same.

The yellow looks pretty good, an even tone all across.  The shadows on the other hand are a bit off.  With such a bright base coat, it's unfortunately really easy to see where a wash or dark-lining went awry, even if only a little bit.  What shading method are you using?

With a little work the new guy will be at good TT standard. If you want the green eyes then change the eagle to white, otherwise there's too many colours fighting for attention. Obviously you need to apply edge highlights to make the model 'pop'. Good luck!

Thanks for the comments and critique guys, I really do appreciate it and it does help. smile.png

Firepower: I'm using Gryphonne (Seraphim) Sepia to wash the parts I want shaded. After that I go over the excess stuff with yellow. I agree with what you are saying, and I think I will be focusing more on that area if/when I get more Fists done.

Even now I'm actually getting the urge to go back to painting more yellow. I'm fairly certain, that once I get my hands on the 'dex that will be final nail in the coffin. biggrin.png

Archived