My third game was the closest I had of my six and one of my two losses (my other loss came in game 5 and I got tabled on turn 6). This was against Neil Gilstrap and his Tau, he played like a champ and was an awesome sport about things. One of my more "fun" opponents of the entire tourney. Now this round should have been Big Guns Never Tire, however I know for a fact we played The Relic so I think both him and I read it wrong and started the wrong one. Please forgive my n00bness :P

Round 3 – The Relic
This is a CUMULATIVE MISSION. Victory is achieved by accumulating Mission Points. If victory is
not achieved through Mission Points, it is determined by Tiebreaker.

Deployment
Vanguard (Rulebook Page 119)
Helpful Note: When determining the points with which to connect your deployment line for Vanguard,
measure 14.5” along Short Table Edges, and 21.5” along Long Table Edges. See Picture Below.

Mission Special Rules Night Fighting, Mysterious Objectives, Reserves

Mission Points
2 Mission Points – The Relic (Rulebook Page 131)
2 Mission Points – The 4 Corner Objectives
2 Mission Points are earned by controlling more Corner Objectives than your Opponent – they are not worth 2 Mission Points each
1 Mission Point – Slay the Warlord (Rulebook Page 122)
1 Mission Point – Linebreaker (Rulebook Page 122)

Tiebreaker
Points Destroyed
50 Bonus Points for completing First Blood (Rulebook Page 122)

My List
Daemons + Word Bearers

Sorcerer
ML3, Terminator Armor, Spell Familiar, Brand

Herald of Tzeentch
ML3, Exaulted (Grimoire), Locus of Conjuration

Herald of Tzeentch
ML3

Herald of Khorne
Lesser (Axe of Khorne), Locus of Wrath, Juggernaught

Horrors x20
Plaguebearers x10
Plaguebearers x10
Cultists x10

Screamers x9
Flesh Hounds x16
Heldrake x1

Obliterators x3
Mark of Nurgle

His List
Now there is an issue with this as I have apparently lost his army list he had given me (I have all five of the others, not sure where I placed it). So I do not know exacts of what he has but here is the stuff I do remember off hand.

Commander x2
Standard load out one with chip est est

Kroot x12 (three or so units of these asses)
Sniper rounds 

Crisis Suits x3
Plasma + Missile Pods

Crisis Suits x3
Plasma + Missile Pods

Crisis Suits x5 (I think)
Missiles galore

Riptides x2
One was standard Ion Accelerator and the other was an Earthcaste w/the heavy 6 gun (dunno the name of it off hand). 
Both had interceptor

Skyray
(oh joy)

Now, I did not take pictures or notes on the games, I am running off of memory so things may be a slightly out of order but the gist of how things went down is there.

Warlord Herald of Tz Powers - Prescience, Perfect Timing, Flickering Fire of Tz. Trait was  
Herald of Tz Powers - Prescience, Skryer's Gaze, Flickering Fire of Tz.
Word Bearer Sorcerer Powers - Hemorrage (again, every frigging game), Iron Arm and Smite.
Now you may notice a trend of my Sorcerer rolling for poopy powers every game, that was the theme for me of the tourney :P

He won the roll and chose to go second. No nightfight on turn 1.

I went on to deployment and set my stuff up with doggies on my left, Horrors in the middle, Screamers setup amongst them (was gonna turbo boost in some ruins in his deployment zone), Oblits were setup behind the Horrors, Heralds of Tz joined the Horrors, Herald of Khorne joined the Doggies, Plaguebearers held in reserve to deep strike, Cultists held in reserve to walk on and Heldrake held in reserve due to flyer rules.

He setup with the Kroot all out front and the two 3 man Crisis suit units flanking his main army, the Hammerhead also set up on his flank to my right and the 5 man Crisis Suit unit was deployed behind some large ruins in his deployment zone, the Broadsides were setup standard in the center of his army with a Commander joining them.

He declined to try and steal initiative.

My Turn 1

Before we got this part of the game I had scouted my dogs as far forward as possible and behind some terrain, if I failed the Grimoire on them I would move into the terrain and if I passed I would basically force him to shoot everything at the Doggies or lose. 

Started my turn with powers.

Sorcerer cast Iron Arm on self cause the rest were useless :P

Herald cast Prescience on the Oblits and were done as everything was going to be out of range this turn.

I moved the Horrors forward and was sitting in front of some terrain and would be in range to open up the next turn. Oblits moved up behind them. Screamers moved 12" into center of the board. I then used the Grimoire on the dogs and failed, so Doggies would have a 6++ this turn (oof). I them moved the Doggies into some terrain as the ONLY markerlights he had were on the Skyray and I thought I would be able to bring it down with Oblits lascannons and it only having a 5+ cover for the turn.

Moved to shooting phase and rolled on my handy dandy Warp Storm chart and ended up with -1 Invuln saves for all Daemons. . . Woo

Doggies ran into a more advantageous position and were all inside some area terrain now (I regretted not rolling everything on Telepathy for the Fearless power), the Screamers turbo boosted into the ruins and I took a wound from dangerous terrain, this was a good place for them as I ended up in the second level and blocked line of sight to most of his army.

Horrors ran forward a 6" and actually managed base contact with the Relic. 

Oblits opened up with x3 lascannons on the Skyray, I hit with all three and ended up flubbing the roll and did no damage (blaaaagh!)

Assault phase I had nothing obviously. I now awaited to see if my Doggies could live through the turn of shooting or not.

His Turn 1

He started his turn doing the normal things and scooted forward a bit, he didnt need to move a whole ton as I had basically moved all of my stuff up to or near the midline of the deployment zones. He repositioned some of this drones and such and jumped up on some hills to get better sight to Doggies and Screamers. It was a relatively short move phase as I was very far forward.

His shooting started with him using 3 of his missiles from the Skyray to the Doggies and killing three with instant death badness. He then went to town with his Broadsides and killed 6 more, his Kroot were next up on the list and this started a huge surprise that I had not noticed on his army sheet (Precision Strike on all the things!), so the Kroot opened up and killed 4 more Doggies (not good at all for me), the Plasma Crisis Suits them went to town and apparently had the upgrade to have precision strike :P So he placed a few wounds on my Herald and I took a wound on him but passed the rest on to the dogs, in all I lost a few more Doggies and was only down to a few left + Herald of Khorne. He then fired the Riptide with the 6 shots (doubled to 12 for overcharge) and managed to kill all of them and the Herald. All he had left to shoot with was the Riptide with the Ion Accelerator and he used that on the Screamers and killed two with instant death.

The Chaos Gods giveth and the Chaos Gods taketh away!

His assault phase was just moving around a bit with his jet pack units and that was it.

My Turn 2

So I started my turn with Psychic powers so that I could  make use of Scrier's Gaze.

Herald cast Scrier's Gace, Prescience on the Obliterators.

Herald cast Prescience on the Horrors and Perfect Timing

Sorcerer cast Iron Arm cause he is super useful. . .

I then rolled for reserves and rolled a 3+ on all three dice for both Plaguebearer units (I wanted to keep them in reserve till later).

I rolled well enough for the Cultists and chose to keep them in reserve for now.

Rolled for the Heldrake and managed to roll 1, 1, 2 and he stayed in reserve. This was a shame because his Kroot were VERY tightly packed and I would have done a fair amount of damage to them.

Plaguebearers deep striked onto the two objectives at my end of the short table edge as they were terrain ridden AND mostly away from his army.

So, I now went to movement and I started with the Screamers who moved adjacent to the Skyray. I wanted to remove the Markerlights since my Screamers were the only assault unit I had and I would go to ground with the Relic (Horrors) in some ruins and gain a 2+ reroll 1s for a cover save or a 3+ in some area terrain. That was my plan at least.

I also had it in mind that with how packed he was my Heldrake would be able to do some work and wanted to protect it as much as I could.

Horrors began to spread out a ton and I left some within 24" of his front line and then backed up the Relic toward my deployment zone (konga line). I kept the Heralds back because I knew I was going to shoot at a Kroot unit as they were the only ones in range and I did not want to expose my Heralds to precision strike badness just yet, also I wanted to move everything back and force him to chase me for the Relic.

Oblits moved onto a hill to the right of the Horrors and prepared themselves for some plasma cannon to Broadside action.

I then rolled for my Grimiore and failed agian, this time on the Screamers. . .

Began my shooting phase in my normal fashion and rolled on the damned Warp Storm chart. I rolled 1, 1 and took instability tests on all my things. . . Horrors passed but the Screamers took 4 wounds.

The Oblits decided to drop three plasma cannons into the Broadsides but one was out of range so I only lobbed two. I rolled decent on this and got a total of x4 Broadside hits and x6 Kroot hits (they were all intermixed pretty well). I killed basically all the Kroot I hit, killed two Drone and a Broadside, all in all they did very well that turn. He made all of his Ldr checks for this stuff. 

The Horrors then unloaded on the closest Kroot unit and wiped it out with about 14 wounds to spare :P

Assault Phase

My Screamers then launched an assault on the Skyray and brought it down with ease, though I only had 4 left because of some minor shooting vs them, Warp Storm table badness, dangerous terrain AND then the Skyray blowing up and killing one :P 

I blame Slannesh personally. . .

His Turn 2

He began to move forward a fair amount during his movement with his infantry units. The Riptides both took some high ground to gain line of site to my army (because of Vanguard deployment and the big hills at NOVA it was fairly easy to block line of site to your opponent if you tried).

Kroot forward, Crisis Suits forward, Ripturds (on purpose) forward.

His shooting started with him going after the Screamers (I found this weird as I thought he would immediately obliterate the Horrors as I did not have the Grimiore up on them yet). I found out after the game he said that he thought once he killed all of the assault elements to my army I would be a sitting duck (not word for word but that was the gist). He was right though, it makes it hard on me.

Amazingly enough I got a bit hot with my dice and it took him a fair amount of shooting to bring down the Screamers.

5 man Crisis Suits

3 man Crisis Suits

x1 Riptide with Dakka gun

To bring them low with their 4+ cover.

That left the Horrors to deal with and he used everything else on them. x3 Crisis Suits, Kroot, Ion Accelerator. The Ion scattered off and only hit a few guys and the Kroot+Crisis managed to kill 4 models. A lot of his stuff was just out of range and he ended up running some of it forward so to have a better round the following turn.

Assault phase was him moving forward to go for the kill on me the next turn. 

My Turn 3

I started my turn with powers again.

Herald cast Scrier's Gaze and Prescience on Horrors

Heral cast Prescience on Oblits and Perfect Timing

Sorcerer was super useful and cast Iron Arm on self :P

I then rolled for reserves and managed to keep the Cultists in reserve and allowed the Heldrake to come on.

Heldrake moved on and vector striked a unit of x3 Crisis to my left, I rolled a massive 1+1 for the amount and killed a single dude.

Oblits moved forward and I was now within range to the Kroot for some of my hot Torrent Flamer lovin.

I then used the Grimoire on the Horrors and was successful! Horray beer!

Horrors moved back away toward my own table corner. I made sure to leave at least 1 within 24" and put the Heralds in range this time along with about 6 other manz to soak up some fire in case he goes all out on them (which I was sure he would, but with a 3++ reroll 1s I figured it would be super hard for him to do any real damage).

Plaguebearers better positioned themselves in the terrain on the two objectives and prayed to Papa Nurgle.

Shooting phase came and I started with the Warp Storm table. Hooza! I rolled a 10 and got +1 to invuln saves for Daemons. . .2++ with rerolls for Horrors this turn, they weren't going anywhere.

Oblits opened up on the Kroot out front with assault cannons and with the Brand managed to clear all but one unit out.

Heldrake used the Daemon Forge and managed to kill another Crisis Suit (from the unit he vector striked) and some more Kroot that were in the area.

This left a single unit of Kroot left and they were a bit further back just in front of his Broadsides.

My assault phase

Nothing to do here as all my assaulty guys were dead dead dead.

His Turn 3

His turn was largely uneventful to be honest.

He moved up with his Suits, he moved up with his Riptides, Kroot moved forward behind the Crisis Suits behind some terrain.

He was having to keep moving forward to keep my Horrors in range to be shot at or I would have a freebee Relic.

His shooting came around and he began in with the plasma suits onto my Horrors with no effect.

He quickly realized nothing was going to happen there with a 2++ rerolls and he decided to start in on the Obliterators and Heldrake.

The unit of 5 missile Crisis and Broadsides all shot at my Heldrake and ended up glancing it to death. I crashed and killed some Kroot =D

Both Riptides shot at my Oblits and inflicted a single wound (they had a 4++ from the invuln as well). 

That was the end of his shooting with the only thing lost being the Heldrake.

His assault was to keep moving forward with his Suits and Riptides, they were about 14" away from my horrors at this point.

My Turn 4

My turn started as normal with powers.

Sorcerer cast Iron Arm. . .

Herald cast Prescience on Horrors and Perfect Timing

Herald cast Prescience on Obliterators

This left me 5 total dice from the Heralds for Flickering Fire this turn and 4 from the Horrors for a whopping 9D6 :P

Cultists came on automatically and moved to the far left objective in hopes of contesting it.

Grimoired the Horrors and failed again. . .

Horrors moved back into some area terrain and hunkered down. I was prepared to go to ground at this point.

Obliterators moved forward to make sure Riptides would not try to move up and assault my Horrors.

Plaguebearers on both my rear objectives scooted around.

Shooting started with the Warp Storm table and I flubbed it again and had to do instability tests for all my Daemons.

Each Plaguebearer unit lost a few manz each.

Horrors passed.

Obliterators decided to plasma cannon and the Sorcerer used The Brand on the unit of 5 Crisis Suits and killed three of them.

Horrors unloaded all of their hatred on the unit of 3 Crisis that had been untouched and cleared them from the board (40+ shots in one turn). 

Assault phase I had nothing to do since it was all dead :*(

His Turn 4

He was looking pretty thin, same as I. We had both inflicted some serious damage to each other.

As his turn started it was announced that we had 30 minutes and to NOT start a new turn, so this was the end here. He reached out and shook my hand and congratulated me on a good game (we both knew he was about to win, I needed one more turn to maybe kill one of the Riptides).

He overcharged both Riptides with 4D6 assault move.

Moved them closer to my side objectives with the Plaguebearers guarding them.

His kroot moved toward the one objective the Cultists were hovering near on the far left of the board.

Both Commanders joined the last Crisis suit unit (the one with 2 left) and moved forward a bit.

Broadsides shot at Cultists but I went to ground and was able to live through it with a few men left.

Riptide with the Ion launched a shot from down town and finished them off :P

Kroot ran onto the same objective.

Second Riptide shot at Horrors. I went to ground and suffered very little casualties (like 2).

Crisis Suit unit shot at Horrors but inflicted little to no damage again as there were only two left.

Assault phase came around and he jumped both Riptides 4D6" near enough to my two objectives to contest them.

We stopped here and began to add up points.

I won the primary since I had the Relic - 2pts

He won the secondary of having more objectives - 2pts

He had Linebreaker with a Riptide that was contesting - 1pt

He wins 3 vs 2

All in all it was a great and close game. I have to admit he seemed surprised that he won and complimented me on my play. He was one of my better games and his army list had some unique qualities to it that I do not see often. Namely, precision strike on all the Crisis Suits and such :P That was pretty rough and threatening to my Heralds.

Best game I had at the tourney as far as how close it was, the rest were blow outs one way or the other. Top notch player and a classy dude.

Good batrep again mate, its always a shame when a game ends due to running out of time. Did neil have sherpa pat running around doing all the things for him as per usual? ;)

Seriously though, those grimoire and warpstorm rolls are why I'd never run demons primary without fatey as warlord. I'm not surprised he was surprised he won, given it sounds like you did everything right, and just luck really wasn't with you.

Foul team play , is foul team playwhistling.gif Nice report . Shows very much why I will never play demons at an event[well unless am forced]. It is too random for me and I hate random . I can deal with weaker builds , I can deal with bad match ups , but I can't deal with an army that may try to effectivly play against myself. Am too chicken for that.

I know , but again this ain't an army for me . I noticed it durning testing. I would rather play a SW army with SM ally .

Weaker[as in harder to play, pre forced in to certain choices just like csm etc] , but less random and more stable. But I get all I want from chaos , cheap and good troops, good transports , my oblits , good synergy , divination etc.

Ah and as grimore  goes , I know this shouldn't realy be done by tournament player , but I have to think about the children too.

I learned one thing from circus days era . Don't try to destroy units , you can't destroy [or have to over focus to do it]. It is better to lose a pred/hammer head/riptide or a chaff unit , then losing the game because your whole army had a low chance to wipe a unit . New players sometimes fall for the over focus trap , because in their minds , they play a game where non of their units die . I have seen whole armies to hunt down Faty or in the case of my demon army my flyarant [nids , demons most hated enemy].

So unless you have a unit that removes invs , before you unload 1500 pts of shoting in to a FMC with a +2inv , check if there are no softer targets . the demon list depands on  buffs synergy and sometimes there isn't enough buffers [or warp table decides to punish the demon player] to cover the whole army.

ah termi Iron arm sorc as protect wall for a 10 man cultists unit is briliant .

Yeah, I expected to have one game where everything rained hell on me. It happened from time to time in my tests leading up to NOVA, so I wasn't totally surprised when it all went south :P 

I did not want to run any MCs as it would change my entire army list, you either bring a lot of MCs or none is sorta the way Chaos (both Daemons and CSM) goes.

There was another small local tourney I was a part of a while back and was running something very similar to this list (was still testing for NOVA) and in the last game I had my army :cuss its bed, a little worse than this game to be exact. I failed the Grimiore on every turn cept the last when the game was too out of hand, I lost BOTH Heralds to the Warp Storm table and got -1 invulns twice more on it, at the end of it I kinda looked at my opponent and said "these are the games that make me want to run Kalios".

As far as I could see no one was running errands for him, though my girlfriend showed up about half way through it and was running errands for me :P

His exact statement to me after the game was "If you hadn't had such a horrible first turn those Hounds would have hit CC and I would have been dealing with them all game while you shot me up and ran off with the Relic", he is right, but the Codex has those rules in it and I know in advance these things can happen so there are no real what ifs when stuff goes south. It did feel good to get praised by one of the better players there, sorta validates what you are doing :P

Will do my fourth Batrep tonight, this time vs SW+GK.

I had worse . last turn spliting a herald from my 4 man plagy units to score and contest 3 objective. Rain comes down. herald dead , mounter herald dead. plagy unit droped to 2 [he couldn't kill 3 plaguies his only models in range was a marines with a bolter]. opponent turn double tap drop plagies walk on to objective . lost by 1 get kicked out of 3ed place to the much hated 9 over all.

I had worse . last turn spliting a herald from my 4 man plagy units to score and contest 3 objective. Rain comes down. herald dead , mounter herald dead. plagy unit droped to 2 [he couldn't kill 3 plaguies his only models in range was a marines with a bolter]. opponent turn double tap drop plagies walk on to objective . lost by 1 get kicked out of 3ed place to the much hated 9 over all.

lol sooooo harsh.

"As far as I could see no one was running errands for him, though my girlfriend showed up about half way through it and was running errands for me "

Its a running joke on the 11th company that neil gets pat to do all his hard stuff for tournaments, its probably over exaggerated, but still makes me laugh.... They made me want to convert a heldrake to having a lord riding it, with the burning brand, so my torrent flames can shoot torrent flamers out of its torrent flamer. As they say, heldrake does as heldrake pleases!

Late reply to the thread, just read it. 

Good stuff! Tau seem pretty dull to fight against, but the game seemed pretty brutal.

Do you meet really poor losers at all at events? And if so how often?

Late reply to the thread, just read it. 

Good stuff! Tau seem pretty dull to fight against, but the game seemed pretty brutal.

Do you meet really poor losers at all at events? And if so how often?

All of my matches were good except for one.

My Third (Neil Gilstrap) and sixth (Andrew Gonyo) were especially awesome. Both were great players and great sports about everything.

The poor sports guy I played was really upset and started throwing his paperwork around and told me to ":cussing turn it in for me" and then walked away. . .Was very awkward, though he had a fairly cold attitude right from the beginning of the game. He would not auto do things he was supposed too do, he forced me to remind to take leadership checks on units that took a lot of casualties (five or six times) and some other things. Basically if I would not mention it (and I didn't a few times because the game was well in hand so quickly) he would just let it go so he could skip something that may prove bad for him.

This was one match out of six, the rest were all great.

See, I've always been put off going to tournaments because I just can't be bothered playing against really poor losers. Don't get me wrong, no one likes losing, but goddam those people annoy me.

Do you have any real horror stories about playing against mega poor losers? Or poor winners for that matter.

See, I've always been put off going to tournaments because I just can't be bothered playing against really poor losers. Don't get me wrong, no one likes losing, but goddam those people annoy me.

Do you have any real horror stories about playing against mega poor losers? Or poor winners for that matter.

I'm the dude that convinced Smurfalypse to actually go to the Open this year. As this is my first major GT, all 6 of my opponents were awesome. No sore losers on either side. And other than his one opponent he didn't encounter anymore guys that were upset at losing. At least thats what he told me :P

I also think it really matters where you place in these things. Of course the closer to the top you get the more people will be "upset" at losing since it'll knock them out of the race for first. The lower you go (I was in the middle of the pack) no one really cared it was just another game at the LGS :)

Contrary to what you may think this is not a way of "poor losing" , am 100% sure he plays the same way when he is wining. Speed play is one of the ways of playing.

Sorry, but not taking Leadership checks and pinning checks and such unless being reminded every time is semi-cheating as you are supposed to do it during any phase in which you take 25% casualties. If you do not do it and you know you are supposed too, you have cheated. That is very poor sportsmanship.

Contrary to what you may think this is not a way of "poor losing" , am 100% sure he plays the same way when he is wining. Speed play is one of the ways of playing.

Sorry, but not taking Leadership checks and pinning checks and such unless being reminded every time is semi-cheating as you are supposed to do it during any phase in which you take 25% casualties. If you do not do it and you know you are supposed too, you have cheated. That is very poor sportsmanship.

Yes as I said it was speed playing .But this probably gets lost in translation . Speed play is a type of game play . You do everything were fast[pick up dice , move 3 units at the same time , in WFB the known "and I charge you" movment after a 2sec range checking and not prove I wasn't in range . rolling of dice when it ain't needed and then claiming the roll counts or that "I just passed the test".]

Did you rank highly Elphilo?

Do you have any reports to share with us also? biggrin.png

I came in around the 140 mark, so nothing too exciting on my end. And unless this board suddenly gets a Tau/Eldar section I'm unable to do any battle reports :P

Other than that its a blast. And if you are able to play in a giant GT like the NOVA, I highly recommend it.

Yes as I said it was speed playing .But this probably gets lost in translation . Speed play is a type of game play . You do everything were fast[pick up dice , move 3 units at the same time , in WFB the known "and I charge you" movment after a 2sec range checking and not prove I wasn't in range . rolling of dice when it ain't needed and then claiming the roll counts or that "I just passed the test".]

Gotcha, my bad man :)

nah  no problem man . game style and their names are hard to translate . When I was first time in UK as a young dude. the talk went in to crazy stuff one did as a child . You can't imagine people faces , when I told them we like to waterboard . For us water boarding was to taking a pice of a wooden board or a sack and go down a mountain , which you hosed with water.

Sorry I just like reading how tournaments get on.

I don't get to play normal games as much as I would like, and I've never ever been to a tourny! Despite my history of wargaming! :D

So I get to do it vicariously through people who do :P

Archived