Excubitor

So what will people be doing with their Librarians in the new Codex?

Personally, the first one I'll be trying out is;

Librarian with Biomancy

- TDA

- Storm Shield

- Auspex

with possibly Digital weapons and/or mastery level 2 depending on points and if i think he needs it.

Attach him to my Deep Striking Terminator Squad with Assault Cannon.

I'm giving him the Auspex as I'm not likely to shoot with him, and as I tend to DS near the enemy lines, it will help with either the squad's shooting or (more likely) support shooting from other units at surrounding targets.

I'm not sure about Biomancy, I'll be firming that up as I finish my list and figure out which discipline best supports my plans.

I'll be using Tigurius. He has access to Divination, which is the best set of powers, will likely get the powers he wants, and gets re-rolls to his failed psychic tests. He's too good to pass up IMO, and can be a massive force multiplier for your army.

For a normal Librarian though. The auspex should only be a "last few points left" option. I'd likely keep him cheap, maybe ML2, and stick him with a squad that needs bolstering. Chances are Telepathy would be best, as there are less duds to roll in there, although Endurance and Enfeeble from Biomancy would be great to roll.

Yeah, Tiggy is first pick, but I won't always run with UM tactics, and want to see how others will run theirs.

Although to be honest, I'll probably end up just going back to my current DA libby and Scout Sniper unit allies!

I think the main problem is that the Libby as a force multiplier for us is sort of dead without Null Zone etc. There are some great spells he has access to, and he's very cheap, and rolling Endurance or Enfeeble on Biomancy would be epic. But there's only a 33% chance of that. Should we be able to pick spells I could see him being much more useful.

However, I'd just keep him cheap. You're idea with the Terminators is another good idea, although I've never liked Deep Striking Terminators. I'd just footslog him instead with the Terminators.

Awaiting my first game of the new codex with a Libby in TDA+SS in front of a shooty terminator unit to tank AP2 shots, my only reservation being just 2 wounds, so he may end up getting replaced by a TDA captain, who adds more CC punch.

DarkGuard is bang on the money about Tiggy though, I'm struggling to find a reason not to take him in lists 1500+. DA allies are the only other way to get access to divination competitively, which is hands down the best discipline.

In normal games, I think I'm still going to use my Libby as a DA ML2 with divination, a minimum scout squad, and a command squad with 4x Plasma (can't do special weapon squads in C:SM anymore sad.png ).

Actually, they've already fixed that in an FAQ. We can now take special weapons in command squads.

In normal games, I think I'm still going to use my Libby as a DA ML2 with divination, a minimum scout squad, and a command squad with 4x Plasma (can't do special weapon squads in C:SM anymore sad.png ).

Actually, they've already fixed that in an FAQ. We can now take special weapons in command squads.

Yep. They fixed it on Tuesday. I took a squad with 5 plasma guns (dont need apoth anymore) and cast prescience and forewarning on them.

They were killing everything!

ML3, rerolls powers, rerolls reserve rolls, rerolls failed psyker tests.  Dude is absurdly good.  Unfortunately I don't intend to run UM CT.

This is important, because it applies to lots of C:SM armies.  I for instance came into this thread looking to discuss if giving the Armor Indomitus to a a Biomancy Level 2 Libby was worth the points, not another "I love the new Tigger, he's awesome" thread.

So...AI on a Bio-2 Libby?  Yea or nay?

ML3, rerolls powers, rerolls reserve rolls, rerolls failed psyker tests.  Dude is absurdly good.  Unfortunately I don't intend to run UM CT.

This is important, because it applies to lots of C:SM armies.  I for instance came into this thread looking to discuss if giving the Armor Indomitus to a a Biomancy Level 2 Libby was worth the points, not another "I love the new Tigger, he's awesome" thread.

I think it works. Mastery level 2 gives another psychic power, increasing the chance of getting a good power. It also lets you use one power and force something. It does requires some finesse to use the one-time 2++ correctly without putting your libby at too much risk.

While a termie-stormshield bio ML2 libby is in general tougher, you can give the AI libby a bike or a jump pack for added mobility, as well as let him keep his pistol for an extra attack. In general though, I'd prefer just a termie-storm shield ML2 libby. Plus, he's cheaper.

If you were going to give the relic armor to a libby, biomancy 2 could have some decent synergy. 

While the Libby can make good use of this armor, it is 60 point upgrade on a 2 wound model. I'd hate to have him perils twice...

I'm running CT:IH, so I can IWND him.  Plus, there's Life Leech.

I think it works. Mastery level 2 gives another psychic power, increasing the chance of getting a good power. It also lets you use one power and force something. It does requires some finesse to use the one-time 2++ correctly without putting your libby at too much risk.

While a termie-stormshield bio ML2 libby is in general tougher, you can give the AI libby a bike or a jump pack for added mobility, as well as let him keep his pistol for an extra attack. In general though, I'd prefer just a termie-storm shield ML2 libby. Plus, he's cheaper.

Eh.  He's cheaper, but he's got fewer attacks, can't fit in a Razorback, and can't sweeping advance.

Well, also consider Telepathy as a doctrine, particularly on ML2 Librarians. People easily forget about Halluncination and Invisibility, but those can win games, especially the former, and there's also good powers there.

As much as I like Enfeeble and Endurance, I don't think we'll get good service from the Biomancy doctrine, even with the IA and other upgrades. We become costly then and you might as well take a Captain.

If I were to take a Libby which wasn't Tiggy, I'd take an ML1/2 one in the Telepathy doctrine, probably ML2 will be it's only upgrade.

My ML1 TDA+SS Telepathy Libby worked very well against Tau in a game the other day, acted as an AP2 tank at the front of a Termi squad, saved a couple of termies and rolled puppet master, which was great against his 2 x plasma rifle crisis suits. I'll get a couple more games in and try out a SS Captain in his place but telepathy gets a thumbs up from me.

If I were to take a Libby which wasn't Tiggy, I'd take an ML1/2 one in the Telepathy doctrine, probably ML2 will be it's only upgrade.

Agreed.

You don't want your Librarian in combat, you want them for the support they bring. Telepathy is all about support, with the very strong option of bringing some quick death with the prime power.

The Librarian I'm planning to run is:

• Mastery Level 2 (Biomancy)
  • Jump Pack
  • Auspex

He goes with 5 Assault Marines which I view as +5 wounds.

His role changes based on the powers he rolls:

1. Enfeeble/Endurance: Stay in the back-to-mid-field and buff/debuff
  2. Iron Arm/Warp Speed: Hunt MCs and characters with his Force Sword
  3. Life Leech/Haemorrhage: Hide in mid-field and pounce on popped transports
  4. Enfeeble & Haemorrhage: Woohoo!

These are prioritised so if he rolls Enfeeble & Life Leech he'll stay in the midfield to use Enfeeble while Leech is a nice-to-have secondary ability. 

The Auspex is an incredible tool even if he rolls shooty spells. He can either use the Auspex on units in cover or the shooty spells on units that aren't.

It should also be mentioned that I plan on running him alongside Tigurius with Divination powers. His role also changes but much less so thanks to his ML3 & Re-rolls:

1. Foreboding/Forewarning/Misfortune: Midfield with tactical squad
  2. Perfect Timing/Prescience: Backfield with Devastators

Precognition and Scrier's Gaze are useless and will be re-rolled or swapped for Prescience. My priority for spells is:

1. Misfortune
  2. Prescience
  3. Forewarning
  4. Foreboding
  5. Perfect Timing

If I roll Perfect Timing against a mech-heavy list I might opt to leave Tigurius and his squad in the backfield next to a Devastator Squad so he can hop between the two as needed.

These two Librarians work well together generally with one buffing and the other causing havoc, and if you're lucky they can combine their abilities:

• Misfortune, Enfeeble & Auspex - An enemy unit suddenly has -1T, -1 Cover Save and has to re-roll all saves. Combine that with a Prescience-d squad and it's pretty screwed.
  • Endurance & Forewarning: A friendly unit that has 4++, Feel No Pain & relentless. Pretty handy to keep some Sternguard implacably advancing up the field.

I'm going to take an ML 2 libby with telepathy to support my sniper scouts and man my quad gun.  I looked over all the schools and since I can't take divination, I found that only telepathy is all useful to him in that role.  I prefer more aggressive biomancy or pyromancy libbies usually, but since this one is getting stuck in the back lines, he gets to play with telepathy.

Erm I might be sounding like a right noob but why is precognition not better than prescience? Re-rolls to hit, wound and saves vs rolls to hit?

Also, I know its FW not GW but Sevrin Loth is well worth a look. Yes he's more expensive than tiggy without some of the army wide buffs but put him with a unit of honour guard and you've got an absolute monster between his 2++ and ability to take 6/7 Biomancy guaranteed

Erm I might be sounding like a right noob but why is precognition not better than prescience? Re-rolls to hit, wound and saves vs rolls to hit?

Because Precognition needs to be rolled, and is only for the Psyker.

Prescience is the Primaris and can target any friendly unit within 12".

Archived